The Smearing of Jim Peron

Chris,

I disagree with Jim on all this, but I won't call him evil.

As a Catholic once told me about Perigo and crew soon after SoloHQ split into thee, and I don't remember his name but he used to post over there: they try to make a mighty roar, but they are a bunch of pussycats.

I just can't call pussycats evil. Well... that is until they get hold of a mouse...

:) 

Jim hates to excess, though. The blindness with which he hates shows that hatred is an emotion inside us we need to keep under control.

I think the only place where hatred can be given full reign in our minds and be intellectually justified is during physical battle. In that context, hatred keeps the haters focused on acting against an enemy who is trying to kill them.

Intellectually, hatred aligned to syllogisms only produce rationalizations. That's because it also produces intolerance in the hater's mind--intolerance to the extent that intellectual blindness ensues.

It's sad to see in full flower, but that spectacle is part of defending each person's domain over his or her own thinking...

Michael

• 4 months later...

9 hours ago, Guyau said:

Stephen,

I was glad to read that from 2002.

I just took a look at more recent things to see if I was too harsh, and maybe I was. But the overall message these days in his Facebook feed is that life could be good and wonderful but Christianity spoils the world and doesn't let it be good and wonderful. So life sucks for now. Or Christian A, Christian B, etc. do that. Or conservatives. 

I'm not going to quote that stuff because, to me, it isn't worth making a fuss over. If people want to read it, let them look him up and read it for themselves.

However, to be fair, in the sporadic middle there is something positive. And once in a blue moon, I do know Jim writes beautiful things about Ayn Rand, Barbara and Nathaniel. I know because I read them. Those are the moments I love.

Michael

• Like 1

Michael, his own life at this stage is happy out there in the Joshua Tree part of NV. He has fought the cause of individual rights a long time, and continues so. He has good knowledge of Christian sects as well as good knowledge of Austrian economics, I've noticed. He has good background learning for his analyses. But just because he takes up much that he analyzes as wrong and again wrong, it does not seem to have affected happiness in his own personal life, at least in these past few years. Not waiting for anything on that score. Heaven is a place on earth.

Stephen,

I talked with Jim once by telephone and we went on and on for over 5 hours if I remember correctly. He wrote about it at the time, saying he was surprised he did that. :) 

(btw - I had one of those single long conversations with Devers Branden, too. But that's another story. :) )

Also, I met Jim and we hung out for a couple of days during the Barbara Branden memorial event. Up close, he was as you said, happy.

I'll go further. He was fun to be around. He really was.

At one point we got driving around and lost and he was a hoot as we got loster and loster. It was almost like a movie comedy. Not nearly as bad as "The Out of Towners," but in that vein. And, yes, he would have been a perfect Jack Lemon from that movie.

I can't tell Jim what to write, but I wish more of that appeared in his writing.

1 hour ago, Guyau said:

Lookin' good.

Michael

• Like 1