Bertrand Russell Interview (1959)

Never heard any disputation to his mathematical genius when young. I think he switched, he said, to philosophy when he became aware of some diminution of his mathematical brainpower and thought philosophy easier. I have to admire his WWI pacificism--his standing up to all that crap and war-drumming nonsense.

--Brant

Never heard any disputation to his mathematical genius when young. I think he switched, he said, to philosophy when he became aware of some diminution of his mathematical brainpower and thought philosophy easier. I have to admire his WWI pacificism--his standing up to all that crap and war-drumming nonsense.

--Brant

I believe that Russell began with philosophy and later switched to mathematics (or mathematical logic). I recall his saying that he switched because philosophy was too difficult. That was a humorous remark, and since Russell frequently sacrificed literal accuracy for wit, I never took it seriously.

I also recall that Rand once included a remark by Russell in the Horror File of The Objectivist Newsletter. When asked if he would be willing to die for his beliefs, Russell replied, "Of course not. I might be wrong." The O'ist folks didn't seem to understand that Russell had a sense of humor. And they appeared to know nothing about his personal history.

Ghs

What a card! I didn't appreciate Russell as a teenager for I was such a war-monger. Not the real big war; I was too scared of that.

--Brant

Rand is the wrong influence on a young, plastic brain for the inducement of a mental rigor mortis because the young brain somehow thinks it knows it all already and then a bigger know it all comes along and it's like WOW!--that's me!--yep, that was me, I loved to know it all above it all--boy!--did I need a big kick in the ass!

The O'ist folks didn't seem to understand that Russell had a sense of humor. And they appeared to know nothing about his personal history.

So correct, George.

It was one of my big red flags as I attended the NBI Basic Principles Series.

The dour faces on a philosophy of joy.

Very dissonant kinesics.

A...

The O'ist folks didn't seem to understand that Russell had a sense of humor. And they appeared to know nothing about his personal history.

So correct, George.

It was one of my big red flags as I attended the NBI Basic Principles Series.

The dour faces on a philosophy of joy.

Very dissonant kinesics.

A...

Puritans, each and every.....

Not sure what you mean there Bob.

sailing-pilgrims.gif

The Puritans, of which the Pilgrims removed themselves from, , as "...the first of their reasons for sailing to America..." a "fairly passive...one,..."--they want to 'draw' others by the example of their prosperity, not necessarily go conquer and actively convert. Such an idea reflects the one that would be expressed explicitly by the Puritan John Winthrop, where the New World would become a beacon of religious light, a model of spiritual promise, a 'citty upon a hill."

Not sure what you mean there Bob.

sailing-pilgrims.gif

The Puritans, of which the Pilgrims removed themselves from, , as "...the first of their reasons for sailing to America..." a "fairly passive...one,..."--they want to 'draw' others by the example of their prosperity, not necessarily go conquer and actively convert. Such an idea reflects the one that would be expressed explicitly by the Puritan John Winthrop, where the New World would become a beacon of religious light, a model of spiritual promise, a 'citty upon a hill."

The Puritans of New England were buzz kills and opposed having fun on principle. They were insanely serious....

See H.L. Mencken's quote: Slightly edited: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere might be having fun.....

Fun??? Not serious???? How dare they????? Oh the Horror the Horror!!!!!!

The Puritans, or Presbyterians who wished to reform, or "purify," the Anglican Church rather than separate from it, were a highly intolerant bunch. (The Pilgrims, generally speaking, were better.) The Puritans fled England during Laud's regime to escape religious persecution, not to practice religious freedom. Their own intolerance and persecution of dissenters were considerably worse than that practiced by the Established Church of England.

Ghs

The Puritans, or Presbyterians who wished to reform, or "purify," the Anglican Church rather than separate from it, were a highly intolerant bunch. (The Pilgrims, generally speaking, were better.) The Puritans fled England during Laud's regime to escape religious persecution, not to practice religious freedom. Their own intolerance and persecution of dissenters were considerably worse than that practiced by the Established Church of England.

Ghs

They went to Holland first right? Then back to England for a colonial contract and then to America is my understanding.