List of Characters in Atlas Shrugged

syrakusos

http://atlaslisted.com/

Atlas Listed
an Ayn Rand tribute site
because

"Before he shrugged . . . he listed."

This is an attempt to create a census of each individual mentioned in the novel, Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

Major and minor characters are counted, including any individual mentioned by name or by title, or with a physical description or dialog, or, when in a small group, by the order within the group, or when in relationship to an individual as previously identified by the rubric above, then by the nature of that relationship, whether fictional or real, within the novel.

Please send suggestions, corrections or questions to:AtlasListed@gmail.com

Individuals are listed here in order of appearance, followed by an alphabetized list, with page numbers indicating their first appearance in the Plume trade paperback edition, August 1999 printing.

There are, based on this census, 137 individuals identified by nickname or name (first, last or both), and 581 unnamed individuals identified by job title, relationship to a named character, or otherwise as indicated above, for a total of 718 individuals counted, as listed below.

http://atlaslisted.com/

Thanks, Michael. On another thread I mentioned the Navaho writer Tony Hillerman who I have read for years. He is semi retired but his daughter who also goes by the name Hillerman has written two books using her Dad's Navaho cop characters and settings. It would be great if someone could write a series of books using the same characters as in Atlas Shrugged, utilizing the same philosophy, like a prequel. I know a lot of people were a bit outraged at Go Set A Watchman finally coming out as a prequel to Kill a Mockingbird but Ms. Hillerman's books are quite good as could a good writer's book, using Rands characters. I don't think the idea is at all crazy.

Thanks, Michael. On another thread I mentioned the Navaho writer Tony Hillerman who I have read for years. He is semi retired but his daughter who also goes by the name Hillerman has written two books using her Dad's Navaho cop characters and settings. It would be great if someone could write a series of books using the same characters as in Atlas Shrugged, utilizing the same philosophy, like a prequel. I know a lot of people were a bit outraged at Go Set A Watchman finally coming out as a prequel to Kill a Mockingbird but Ms. Hillerman's books are quite good as could a good writer's book, using Rands characters. I don't think the idea is at all crazy.

This proposed abomination would be legally blocked unless the characters were from Anthem.

--Brant

Majel Roddenberry’s COMPUTER VOICE: Warning. Inner hull failure imminent on decks twenty-three, twenty-four, and twenty-five. Decompression danger . . . ARI will detonate a photon torpedo in 10 seconds.

Commander Brant from the Borg ship: We are the Borg. This proposed abomination would be legally blocked unless the characters were from Anthem. A dozen Jack Reacher books? Who needs them? A dozen Doctor Seuss books? Why. Sequels? What possible good could come from this? Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. So what if the new Mission Impossible is going to make a quarter of a billion dollars and is well received by the critics? Creativity and character development must stop with the first version.

DATA to Captain Picard: I successfully planted a command in the Randroid collective consciousness, sir. It misdirected them to believe it was time to regenerate. In effect, I put them all to sleep.

Captain Picard: Commander Brant, you are feeling sleeeeepy. But before you doze off don’t you think a book chronicling what happens after the final page of Atlas Shrugged would be well read? And using younger prototypes of Dagny, Francisco, John, and even Eddy Willers a wonderful juvenile intro to Atlas Shrugged could be written. Before it is too late, reason with the Borg Queen, Commander Brant!

I posted this here and on other O-ist sites because I found it useful. I have a ppb of Atlas that I mark up with notes. The TOC has reminders of what is in each chapter, for instance. As it was, I was looking for Mr. Weatherby. "Atlas Listed" made that easy.