Become an Agorist and Fight the State in 7 Easy Steps

JamesShrugged

It could work! Just let your inner Armenian out. Look at the fortune the Kardashians rake in. I can see it now...you could marry the captain of the Minnesota Lynx on national TV ... but soon your grueling work schedules would tear apart your longdistance relationship, she would cheat on you with Jonathan, and the bitter divorce will dominate the media for months....

I don't know Armenian from a hole in the ground. I'm half German and half British, sorta like the English royals but smarter. (I declined to be a royal.)

--Brant

my weird Mom told me I could join the DAR and Mary Dyer was an ancestor

Use your browser or search engine to find "outhouses typhoid" stories.

In their day, they didn't have tech-nol-o-gee. They were ignorant. And they loved it!

Thanks for the Boolian search advice...

My testimonial experiences are that I never became aware of any "typhoid" outbreaks in any county that I lived in where there were outhouses present.

I did hear somptin about some NY chick that carried the disease...maybe it wasn't the outhouses...

What do ya'll think?

A...

Post Script: Wouldn't there be plenty of news articles in the 17th and 18th century press about these typhoid epidemics in rural counties?

Use your browser or search engine to find "outhouses typhoid" stories.

In their day, they didn't have tech-nol-o-gee. They were ignorant. And they loved it!

Thanks for the Boolian search advice...

My testimonial experiences are that I never became aware of any "typhoid" outbreaks in any county that I lived in where there were outhouses present.

I did hear somptin about some NY chick that carried the disease...maybe it wasn't the outhouses...

What do ya'll think?

A...

Post Script: Wouldn't there be plenty of news articles in the 17th and 18th century press about these typhoid epidemics in rural counties?

Typhoid Mary was a genuine asymptomatic carrier of the disease.

The germ theory of disease was not validated until the late 19th century. Even in 1853 during the cholera outbreak in New Orleans, John Leonard Riddell was arguing against the miasma theory. As they cleaned up the cesspools and open sewers and slaughterhouses, they did indeed reduce the "miasmas" they thought were causing cholera.

Wilbur Wright died of typhoid fever in 1912. He suffered from it at least once before. They lived in Dayton, Ohio, as we know, and were middle class. Why not both brothers and their sister? Why not everyone? As JTS will assure you, the so-called "germ theory of disease" also has limitations.

The fact remains that outhouses cause typhoid outbreaks.

The germ theory of disease was not validated until the late 19th century. Even in 1853 during the cholera outbreak in New Orleans, John Leonard Riddell was arguing against the miasma theory. As they cleaned up the cesspools and open sewers and slaughterhouses, they did indeed reduce the "miasmas" they thought were causing cholera.

Wilbur Wright died of typhoid fever in 1912. He suffered from it at least once before. They lived in Dayton, Ohio, as we know, and were middle class. Why not both brothers and their sister? Why not everyone? As JTS will assure you, the so-called "germ theory of disease" also has limitations.

How? I thought it was not washing your hands.

--Brant

How? I thought it was not washing your hands.

--Brant

Mike is easily distracted by shiny coins...

And, mindful of those among us who may have delicate constitutions, let's not even talk about the horrors involved in using "outhouses".

David,

What's wrong with outhouses?

I had to use one in Coeburn, Va., until I was 7 years old, and for several years thereafter when my family and I went back to visit. (After diapers, when I was still too little to walk the dirt path to the outhouse by myself, I used a white-and black tin poop bucket with a lid, so those years don't count.)

I have fond memories of stepping on nightcrawlers in my bare feet on the dirt path at night. Cold and squishy. :smile:

Also, we had a Sears catalog for toilet paper, so there was never any lack or reading or dreaming about things to buy when sitting on the throne. :smile:

My father had a story about when he was growing up down there. During Halloween, one of the tricks the kids used to do was push the outhouses over at all the neighbors. One guy got pissed that this happened every year, so he moved his outhouse right before nightfall and set it beside the hole instead of over it. If those outhouses were anything like the one I used, those holes were usually about 10 feet deep about 3 feet across (I'm going on memory, so this might be off a little). It was dark and one of dad's friends ended up in the hole. :smile:

Interestingly enough, there is an expression, "shit end of the stick." I don't know for sure if this came from the stick they used in outhouses, but I would bet it does. What happens when people poop over a big dirt hole time after time is that the crap builds up into a hill-like shape. It finally reaches the board with the hole in it that you sit on. So there is a stick you have to use to spread the crap around. It's fairly long. You poke it through the hole in the board and start churning. You hold your breath and ignore the flies until your'e done. I don't know if all outhouses are like that, but the one I used was.

When you give someone the shit end of the stick, I believe that stick is the referent for metaphor.

If you have any doubts about the useful information I just provided, don't hesitate to ask.

:smile:

Michael

MSK:

Growing up in the sticks (rural Michigan) myself, I always heard it said that one should avoid getting "the shitty end of the stick."

I know and have learned what this means in real life, but now I know what it means in the neighborhood of outhouses too!

And the Sears catalogue thing brought back a few memories as well...