What Art Really Means

What Art Really Means

I came across this by accident and it is hilarious.

This is exactly the kind of academic-speak that will get you through college with flying colors.

It reminds me of my 3 years at Boston University as a music composition (and trombone) major.

Needless to say, I didn't do well in my music composition classes where I needed that crap to get by. I almost got my ass thrown out of school from my second year to the third because I flunked my major courses--I told my composition teacher she was seriously fucked up and walked out of the classes. And I meant it in all innocence. I mean that literally. It did not occur to me why she would find that offensive instead of fixing herself. :smile:

But that was back when the Vietnam war was going on. When I was called in to discuss my future at BU, I became chickenshit (I certainly did not want to go into a fucking jungle for something I couldn't make sense of, the draft was still in effect :smile: ) and cleaned my act up for the third year. My continuation was approved over strenuous objections by the composition professor. I can be awfully convincing when I get chickenshit for real. :smile:

But I didn't complete college. My academic spirit had broken, so when the opportunity came to leave America, which I blamed at the time for all that horseshit--the war and the babble, I went--off to Brazil. I thought the real world would do me a lot better than the myths and malice flowing all around me.

If I had seen the above video back then, I believe the entire trajectory of my life would have been different.

:smile:

My mistake was I thought people were serious about it. If I had realized it was all bullshit to trick people for an advantage, the babble and the war, and the people who taught and imposed it thought so, too, I would have played everything like a game. But I played it as life. Now--with distance--it's funny. Up close it wasn't.

Oh well, live and learn...

The video is wicked funny and laughter is the trickster of transmutation. (snorf...)

:smile:

Michael

This is exactly the kind of academic-speak that will get you through college with flying colors.

Exact same thing, but just a different brand:

“The contrast between the linear structure of architectural forms and the organic structure of the human form is an endlessly fascinating combination for me as an artist. I enjoy mixing these contemporary and classical elements together in my paintings, using traditional materials and techniques. I hope to evoke in my viewers a sense of potential and possibility, while satisfying the mind’s desire for detail and the eye’s desire for beauty.”

---

"My main focus is craftsmanship that follows the sound practices of the pre-modernistic era, together with rational, objective subjects with understandable romantic themes. Because my style employs realistic technique and Romantic subjects, my art may be classified as Romantic Realism. Because my preferred subjects are Romantic, the human form has the highest importance in my work."

---

"From the gods created by Ayn Rand to my living heroes — those explorers, inventors, builders and philosophers who have pushed the resisting world forward — this is what motivates my work. This is the kind of soul I want to celebrate in my sculpture. I sculpt to capture moments of man's life that will inspire a lifetime of beauty and joy, promise and resolve. I sculpt for the technical challenge of bringing to life my virtues and values in metal and stone. I sculpt to touch my imagination and fuel my own soul. And I sculpt to show others that which moves me, in hopes of moving them."

---

"Quent works in the style of Romantic Realism, which strives to concretize a view of life as it could be and should be. His themes often convey aspects of the successful, pleasure-filled life that Man can enjoy on earth. The dramatic colors, clean lines, and hierarchy of focus in his esthetics reflect a purpose of actualizing a world as valued through a rational, passionate mind, and showing that world as both real and attainable."

---

"Because of this, one can grasp a fundamental value of good still-life paintings: epistemological joy-a moment of love for consciousness' relationship to concretes; a relationship that is highly selective, ordered, essentialized-and purposeful; a relationship full of clarity, vivid color, subtlety, and brilliant light; a relationship that can produce an intense emotional response within the viewer that says, to paraphrase Ayn Rand: 'These are concretes as I see them!'"

---

"I've not yet been able to put into words the exact themes that differentiate one painting from another, but they all are variations on three overriding themes: Orderly Universe, Clear Perception and Value. By 'Orderly Universe' I mean that the world is what the Greeks called Cosmos: A natural world, of distinct, definite objects, each of a specific nature and obeying natural laws. By 'Clear Perception' I mean both that the objects in the orderly universe are knowable by exercise of the human mind, and also that I give the viewer the experience of seeing the objects clearly. By 'Value' I mean the idea that the objects are sensuous, beautiful and contribute to human happiness, that they are worth contemplation."

---

J