Is this art?

jts

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Jimmie wanted to paint that brazen hussy with the wooden leg - the very idea! But I got him to listen to sense.

Are you still pissed about his symphonies in white?!!

J

Language! That girl had no idea how to manage his money. Not that I would ever interfere in my son's business. Especially after he changed the locks.

My response was something like, "Well can't something which causes automatic physical responses be used for a conceptual purpose?" To which they probably responded, "Fuck off, pomo."

Anyway, it's time for the unveiling of my end of our collaborative masterpiece. Below is my design for our co-intellectual heirs split medallion.

I did take this farther than I had expected, and, although I already view it as one of the top five masterpieces ever created, it's still technically a prelimanary sketch, and I'm expecting that your creative input will help to make it the greatest work of art of all time.

Tell me what to do next. Shall I reproduce it in acrylic clay?

Does anyone care--and why?

--Brant

is noise art?

I care.

Why?

I'm seeking validation for my misspent youth.

Is noise art?

I suppose that depends on one's definition of art. All *musical* art is noise, albeit noise arranged in certain orders and patterns.

Is noise art?

I suppose that depends on one's definition of art. All *musical* art is noise, albeit noise arranged in certain orders and patterns.

I prefer to use the word 'sound' as the neutral word. Music is pleasant sound. Noise is unpleasant sound.

This is starting to change. A revolution in the science of design is

already under way, and most people, including designers, aren’t even

aware of it.

Take color. Last year, German researchers found

that just glancing at shades of green can boost creativity and

motivation. It’s not hard to guess why: we associate verdant colors with

food-bearing vegetation — hues that promise nourishment.

This could partly explain why window views of landscapes, research

shows, can speed patient recovery in hospitals, aid learning in

classrooms and spur productivity in the workplace. In studies of call centers, for example, workers who could see the outdoors

completed tasks 6 to 7 percent more efficiently than those who

couldn’t, generating an annual savings of nearly $3,000 per employee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/opinion/sunday/why-we-love-beautiful-things.html?ref=opinion&_r=2&

Is noise art?

I prefer to use the word 'sound' as the neutral word. Music is pleasant sound. Noise is unpleasant sound.

In the quest for clarity, good suggestion.

I'm seeking validation for my misspent youth.

Please, tell us about it!

--Brant

help make OL worthwhile!

I had thought of chronicling my young adulthood and intellectual development during my most formative years in an article. But I am somewhat busy at the moment, so it may not happen for a while (if it ever happens).

So much to write and so little time...

question. What skill or talent is promoted by looking at shit?

Answer: Paleontology, natch. Epidemiology. Etc. See the queen of fossilized shit, Mary Anning. And think about being less full of slag in your one-liners and your Wrath of Old Persons. I still do not forgive you for misidentifying a Matzo as stone. Scientist? I wonder.

Here is Mary Anning, in Dorset, with her dog Babby. In her basket is shit. Realizing that 'bezoan' stones were fossil caca, Mary went places in her life and her studies. Skill? Talent? Pshaw. Tell me a scientific theory about talent and then we can talk.

220px-Mary_Anning_painting.jpg

Matzo? Shit? Coprolites? Bezoan? Art?

Edited by william.scherk

Kyle, aren't you still in the process of misspending your youth? If not, you should be.

Are there places to misspend your youth in Nebraska?

Elder preverts need to know...

A...

question. What skill or talent is promoted by looking at shit?

Answer: Paleontology, natch. Epedemiology. Etc. See the queen of fossilized shit, Mary Anning. And think about being less full of slag in your one-liners and your Wrath of Old Persons. I still do not forgive you for misidentifying a Matzo as stone. Scientist? I wonder.

Here is Mary Anning, in Dorset, with her dog Babby. In her basket is shit. Realizing that 'bezoan' stones were fossil caca, Mary went places in her life and her studies. Skill? Talent? Pshaw. Tell me a scientific theory about talent and then we can talk.

220px-Mary_Anning_painting.jpg

Matzo? Shit? Coprolites? Bezoan? Art?

Praise God! I have seen the Coprolite!

All is organic, Brant, when you are stewed in time, like the shit of ancient creatures; I bear in mind too more 'literal ashburgers' answers to the Matzo-Stone Ba'al Bob. They grow 'organically' out of what came before.

And speaking of organic development, my epistolary bromanceª with Phil is rekindled. I dare not share our mockery and gassip, save for this exchange:

WSS >> a bit snotty and cold in Vancouver -- not to mention the weather

Philip > It's actually a bit too hot and moist for me in Florida. Not only that, I
don't much care for the temperature and the humidity.

Now, again, for the man who can't tell his matzo from a slice of fossilized sand and grit, hi ho, another deep and imponderable.

Is this art?

XqXZ.jpeg

--- and for you again, Braint, should you be still impondering out on the desert, tracking animals by their spoor (which is an 'art' and not a science, almost a 'skill'), or should you not:

Coprolite time!

From the Paleolithic fossil pendant to Hannah Ingalls's wooly trilobite, geologic objects are often used as items of personal adornment. For this reason, it should sound trivial to speak - again! - of geologic fashion accessories, but this time I will tell of fecal fashion: coprolites!

Coprolites are fossil dung. They are prized objects for paleontologists as they provide direct evidence of the diet of extinct organisms and they can shed light on paleoparasitological issues.

[ . . . ]

In William Buckland's times, nodules with coprolites at their nucleus received the name of 'beetle-stones' and they were often used as ladies' ornaments. This habit did not end with the 19th century.Indeed Artya designed 'Coprolite', a luxury watch blending art, geology and horology. With a sectioned coprolite as dial, Artya's watch transformed dung into gold.

ArtyA-Coprolite.jpg

Artya's Coprolite Watch, made of actual fossil dung.

Despite its creative timekeeping, Artya's 'Coprolite' is not the first example of the relationship between dung and time. Indeed coprolites appear in the first illustration of 'deep time', that is the concept of geological time. As early as 1830, Henry Thomas De la Beche painted "Duria Antiquior, a more ancient Dorset", inspired by the paleontologic discovers of Mary Anning.

Famed as the first scene with deep time, Duria Antiquior shows the first stage of the production of coprolites, that is... well, see the watercolor for more details.
Duria_Antiquior.jpg

"Duria Antiquior, a more ancient Dorset" by Henry de la Beche

In conclusion, coprolites are waste products only apparently. Indeed, fossil dung is precious either for scientists or for artists. With the words of the 19th century author Francis Buckland:

Geopoetry: "Approach, approach, ingenuous youth, And learn this fundamental truth:The noble science of Geology is founded firmly in Coprology." Click on the image to read the whole book!

[ . . . ]

['About Me']

Andrea "tracemaker" Baucon

I am a geologist and paleontologist with the UNESCO Geopark Naturtejo Meseta Meridional. I am active in scientific research, dedicating myself to the study of fossil and recent traces (ichnology). My research interests are also concerned with the relationship between geology and art, based on the belief that the cultural consciousness of Geologic Art can benefit either art or geology enthusiasts, as well as inspire the creativity of artists. GeoArt is a warm and passionate way to express geology, and its knowledge should be important for those involved in education and the popularization of Earth sciences.

All of this lovely shit and more @ http://geologyinart.blogspot.ca

________________________________-

a) would you believe it? On checking my spelking via Google, I find "Epistolary Bromance" already in play.

b) a line in the art of shit page made me think of Doctor Mrs Dr Hsieh. The paleoparasites . . .

Edited by william.scherk

• 1 year later...
"Our children, going supposedly to the finest universities in the world, being taught by professors with Bachelors or Arts, Masters of Arts, Masters of Fine Arts, Masters of Art Education ... even Doctoral degrees, our children instead have been subjected to methodical brain-washing and taught to deny the evidence of their own senses.

[..] And what was that discovery for which they have been raised above Bouguereau, exalted over Gérôme, and celebrated beyond Ingres, David, Constable, Fragonard, Van Dyck, and Gainsborough or Poussin? Why in fact were they heralded to the absolute zenith ... the tiptop of human achievement ... being worthy even of placement shoulder to shoulder on pedestals right beside Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Caravaggio, Vermeer and Raphael? What did they do? Why were they glorified practically above all others that ever went before them? Ladies and gentleman, they proved ... amazing, incredible, and fantastic as it may seem, they proved that the canvas was flat ... flat and very thin ... skinny ... indeed, not even shallow, lacking any depth or meaning whatsoever.

And the flatter that they proved it to be the greater they were exalted. Cezanne collapsed the landscape, Matisse flattened our homes and our families, and Pollock, Rothko and de Kooning placed it all in a blender and splattered it against the wall. They made even pancakes look fat and chunky by comparison. But this was only part of the breathtaking breakthroughs of modernism ... and their offshoots flourished. Abstract expressionism, Cubism, Fauvism, minimalism, ColorField, Conceptual, op-art, pop-art and post modernism ... and to understand it all ... to understand, took very special people indeed, since the mass of humanity was too ignorant and stupid to understand. Like that famous advertisement in the NY Times said so many years ago ... Bad art ... or Good art? You be the judge, indeed."

Comments, J? (or anyone, but I'm especially curious as to Jonathan's opinion of the description)

Ellen

On Facebook there are a couple of art groups Representational Art hosted by Michael Pearce, and Post Contemporary Art hosted by Graydon Parrish. Between them they have about 9,000 members. Often there are posts about art eduction in the Universities, it seems that now there are many private ateliers that teach foundation art: forms, anatomy, lighting, representational painting etc. But that the Universities are still slow to teach representational painting and drawing in their upper fine art divisions. It seems that in the 70's figurative art was not be learned almost anywhere in fine art departments, it did exist for commercial art majors and illustrators. I took 3 years of fine art in 70's, I learned about painting from one teacher but the other teachers didn't teach anything technical, like how to draw or paint, rather they were into concepts.

Fred Ross, founder of Art Renewal Center told me, while I was visiting him and his wife, that he had the same art education and was so disgusted he quit art - he had wanted to learn to draw figuratively. Hence the quote above might reflect his personal experience, as it does mine.

They say it takes 10 years to master a field - think about that, you go four years to art school but don't learn to draw and paint - if you want to be a figurative artist the next 10 years are brutal, to devote the time, the expense, and stay afloat. Fortunately now is much better for figurative artists to start out, if they don't like one semester, there are many many alternatives.