Guess the Author

caroljane

Later, our Mystery Author wrote a Greek tragedy.

A beautiful princess inherits her father's kingdom, and a handsome prince from a foreign land, chosen by her father before his death, marries her. They dwell together in happiness and there is prosperity on the land. But madness overtakes her and she becomes enamored of a swineherd. The gods visit war upon the land, and the prince and one of the couple's sons die of a pestilence. A seer tells the princess that all can yet be well, if she but listen to the gods.

For years she dwells with her son and daughter, ruling the kingdom well, but the madness comes again and this time the gods drive her from her kingdom, for impiety and polluting the polity. She is exiled to the distant kingdom of the late prince. There she behaves herself, somewhat, but her nature does not change.

Fragments exist of tragedies about her son and daughter, as they worked out the fates of their parents in their own ways, but the entire texts have been lost.

We never got the answer to this. The honor should go either to Daunce or to someone who came by the answer honestly (i.e. by reading the book). I'm also curious as to what the Greek tragedy was.

I waited till my lucky number 13 on viewers came up, assuming everybody cheated or is not interested, it is John O'Hara, Butterfield 8.

tr

I have not read any reviews or even seen the whole of the movie that was made from it. That is because when I did see part of it, I did not recognize it as connected with the book I had read.

The Greek tragedy is A Rage to Live.

You will gather that I am an O'Hara fan. If I met him in real life I do not think I would like him but God could that man write.

The awfulness of the Butterfield 8 movie, the essential connection between O'Hara and Trollope (not kidding)and re;ated topics of interest only to me, I warn you, you will probably have to put up with,

Do you mean the Trollope inwas Butterfield 8?

No, no. Was there one? I meant that on rereading O'Hara I was startled how many of Trollope's characteristics he had , so I thought on re-reading both of them, fairly simultaneous. There are lots.

I wonder what Rand would have thought of O'Hara as a novelist, not much is my guess. Actually, did she ever comment on other bestselling novelists of her era ? I know about Mickey Spillane of course, but can't remember anybody else.

Barbara Branden (I think) tells the story that they were dinner partners once and got along famously. Hope the news brightens your day. She admired him technically but, as you can imagine, didn't share his sense of life.

She spoke unfavorably of James Gould Cozzens who was once red-hot but is mostly forgotten. By Love Possessed was the bestselling novel of 1957, the year Atlas Shrugged came out. She liked Fannie Hurst and Edna Ferber well enough as second-rank romanticists. She liked Fleming's Bond novels but not the movies after Dr. No. She spoke well of the original Perry Mason tv series (by way of speaking badly of the short-lived 1970s revival); don't know what she thought of the novels. She called Levin's A Kiss Before Dying "excellent" as lead-in to a denunciation of Rosemary's Baby. I wonder what she would have thought of This Perfect Day, which he supposedely wrote under her influence. BB and Erika Holzer wrote favorable reviews of Preserve and Protect and Capable of Honor by Allen Drury, with praise in passing for Advise and Consent. Then Holzer hated Throne of Saturn, and they never mentioned him again. I think they liked him better as a social critic than as an artist.

(Concerning #29 - 30: Trollope / trollop; get it?)

Barbara Branden (I think) tells the story that they were dinner partners once and got along famously. Hope the news brightens your day. She admired him technically but, as you can imagine, didn't share his sense of life.

She spoke unfavorably of James Gould Cozzens who was once red-hot but is mostly forgotten. By Love Possessed was the bestselling novel of 1957, the year Atlas Shrugged came out. She liked Fannie Hurst and Edna Ferber well enough as second-rank romanticists. She liked Fleming's Bond novels but not the movies after Dr. No. She spoke well of the original Perry Mason tv series (by way of speaking badly of the short-lived 1970s revival); don't know what she thought of the novels. She called Levin's A Kiss Before Dying "excellent" as lead-in to a denunciation of Rosemary's Baby. I wonder what she would have thought of This Perfect Day, which he supposedely wrote under her influence. BB and Erika Holzer wrote favorable reviews of Preserve and Protect and Capable of Honor by Allen Drury, with praise in passing for Advise and Consent. Then Holzer hated Throne of Saturn, and they never mentioned him again. I think they liked him better as a social critic than as an artist.

(Concerning #29 - 30: Trollope / trollop; get it?)

Thanks! It really does brighten my day, and as I have spent most of it here with jts, it sure needed brightening.

*29-30 No, I totally missed it....although I had been playing with working that very pun in somewhere myself!!! That is what associating with Albertans will do to a person. Good one, Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Lenny recommends Appointment in Samarra in today's podcast.

http://www.peikoff.com/2012/12/17/which-authors-of-popular-fiction-do-you-recommend/

What's happening to me? On another thread I stand alone in agreement with Ayn Rand, and now Peikoff is my book club pal.I have become a fellow traveller.