Funk and Old Movies to Blow Your Mind

Michael Stuart Kelly

As long as this is up for discussion.... Movie production for YouTube is cool. I would like to know how, also. In fact, I would like to have the confidence that I could learn it. That said, Mash-ups are problematic. The Cosmo-Slotnik Building was a mash-up. In fact, all of Peter Keating's work was.

Then, that raises the issue of musical covers. Can Beethoven only be the person to perform Beethoven? And if not, how many versions do we need by Horowitz and Rubenstein, von Karajan and Bernstein? ... to say nothing of Dolly Parton singing "Ballad of the Green Berets."

So, then, every play would be performed just once? Having made the Broadway musical, the film production is out of the question? Or for that matter, translating a book to cinema, or stage. (James Michener's Tales of the South Pacific is an example: book, play, movie.) Of course that is easily a reductio. Plays and concerts are meant to be performed. But we have recording. We no longer depend on troupes of actors and musicians to bring the latest from the city out here to the Styx.

Mort Liddy's swing version of a Halley concerto is too easy to find even today. Do you remember the disco versions of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Beethoven's Pathetique.

The other morning, driving in to work, I listened to the entirety of Von Suppe's "Poet and Peasant Overture" and have been stuck with images of Popeye's Nephews building a house...

What's not to like about The Right Stuff? Great movie... but the film score won an Oscar and it is just a mash-up. While the Hallelujah Chorus might be forgiven, Holst's Mars and Jupiter were just short-cuts for a composer who chose not to write. And if you listen, you can hear a bit of Tschaikowsky's "Violin Concerto" in the scene following "I'm sick and tired of being forthright and magnanimous to those pesky Russians!" The film score was a mash-up.

And that brings us to the actual and real state of modern popular music where disk jockeys bring their turn tables and blend and mix and match all night long to the acclaim of audiences and critics. It generates copyright suits. Arguable though those may be, they underscore the reality of the problem: urban club music is symptomatic of an age whose creative flare has sputtered. The 80s were the last great decade in new music, both for urban and suburban youth cultures.

(As for Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, it is now a cliche to point out that she did everything he did, except backwards and in high heels.)

Funk and Old Movies to Blow Your Mind

I keep staring at this thing mesmerized.

And I can't get this dumb grin off my face. :smile:

I feel like I'm in a time warp and digging it...

:smile:

Really cool.

I want to learn how to mash-up like this.

Michael

Horrible.

--Brant

my sensibilities/sensitivites are too refined for this crude/cruel world!

As long as this is up for discussion.... Movie production for YouTube is cool. I would like to know how, also. In fact, I would like to have the confidence that I could learn it.

Michael,

I believe in you.

Start here: YouTube Creator Academy.

In today's digital and online world, instruction and resources are no longer big problems.

my sensibilities/sensitivites are too refined for this crude/cruel world!

Brant,

Think universality of dance.

It would be interesting to do the reverse, too. Say, sync Michael Jackson or a well-done rap choreography (or, God forbid, Miley Cyrus) to an Rodgers and Hammerstein showstopper tune.

:)

Michael