Introducing Objectivistbooks.com

Kat

We have just added another feature to our online community here at Objectivist Living. It is an online bookstore. We now sell books through both Laissez Faire Books and Amazon and have picked out a selection of books, audio and video that we hope you will like. We hope you enjoy the convenience of buying through our product links in order to support Objectivist Living (and Michael's reading habit).

LFB is our preferred supplier and has the best service and prices and will match Amazon's prices. Unfortunately, LFB doesn't carry everything, so I have also put up links for things at Amazon, including out of print items that are available used. Check those links regularly to see when something is available.

Have fun hanging out at the Objectivist Living Bookstore

Kat and Michael

Barbara, thanks for the heads up. I have taken off that book off and put up another one that I had missed, Journals of Ayn Rand. My years with Ayn Rand is not available at LFB so it was already listed below with the Amazon collection.

btw - What can you tell us about Principles of Efficient Thinking?

Kat

I wanted to order the book "Ayn Rand answers" using the LFB-site. $9.95 seems a reasonable price, but when I proceeded to the checkout I discovered that I had to pay for "shipping and handling" $30!!! So I should have to pay the total amount of $39,95!! :angry::angry::angry:

I looked at Amazon, and there the book costs $10.20, BUT the "shipping and handling" costs are here $8.98, so the total amount is $19.18. The choice was not difficult!

I don't know whether LFB charges such outrageous shipping costs only for overseas orders, but it might be a good idea to compare them to those of Amazon if you want to order a book.

Edited by Dragonfly

Dragonfly, that HAS to be an error -- $30 for shipping and handling? I've never heard of that kind of charge, even on a relatively large order, let alone one for $10 or so. I'm sure that by now this apparent glitch has been noticed and corrected. If not, then they will suffer the revenge of the marketplace, including no more orders from me! [-(

I use Amazon.com for nearly all of my book and music and video purchases. Their prices are very competitive. Plus -- and this is very important -- any order $25 or over gets FREE SHIPPING! If you're willing to wait an extra couple of days, this can be a huge savings, especially if you buy as many books as I do. (I read a lot of fiction.) I love books. =P~

Later!

REB

Roger:

Dragonfly, that HAS to be an error -- $30 for shipping and handling? I've never heard of that kind of charge, even on a relatively large order, let alone one for $10 or so. I'm sure that by now this apparent glitch has been noticed and corrected. If not, then they will suffer the revenge of the marketplace, including no more orders from me!

I was definitely not an error, but it is of course possible that their rates for shipment within the US are more reasonable.

I use Amazon.com for nearly all of my book and music and video purchases. Their prices are very competitive.

Yes, I'm also a long-time user of Amazon and their rates and delivery (over the ocean) are excellent.

As David Brown is a person I highly respect and admire, and LFB is a service that we are promoting on OL, I have taken the liberty to reprint their overseas shipping information. Apparently they only use DHL now because of a high volume of lost merchandise in the past.

Shipping Outside the United States: On orders shipping outside the United States, we no longer send any shipments by untrackable means, allowing us to fully guarantee all international shipments. While in some cases, these untrackable methods were cheaper, the high percentage of lost shipments increased those costs to the point of making them uneconomical.

We sympathize with our international customers, and have done our best to bring you the lowest rates for reliable delivery service. We do not make ANY profit on our shipping charges. We have negotiated extremely competitive International Express rates to most countries, bringing trackability and guaranteed 3-5 day delivery to international shipments. In many cases, International Express is actually CHEAPER than the slower, less reliable methods we previously offered!

We regret that we can no longer offer free shipping on international orders; however, we are instead offering a flat 10% DISCOUNT off the merchandise total on all orders of $200 or more in merchandise for our customers shipping their orders outside the United States. (This discount will automatically be applied to all orders of $200+ that are shipping outside the U.S.)

When there are backordered items in orders shipping outside the United States, we offer you three options on the order confirmation page. They are: 1) delete any out-of-stock items from your order, 2) hold the order for a designated (by you) number of days for backordered items, or 3) email you before shipping to tell you about backordered items and confirm that you still want the rest of the order.

Here are their overseas rates for today, January 3, 2006 (and they could change over time).

Destinations OUTSIDE the United States

PLEASE NOTE: Due to circumstances beyond our control, we can no longer ship international packages by untrackable means. All International Express shipments are fully guaranteed and can be expected to arrive in approximately 2-5 business days (add one business day for order processing). Airmail to Canada is also guaranteed, with an estimated delivery time of 5-14 days. Shipments not delivered within 21 business days will be reshipped.

Prices vary by Zone. Canada and Mexico have their own zones. Other zones are roughly described below. For a full list of countries and their zones, CLICK HERE.

CANADA:

DHL International Express

$30 for 1-2 items

$5 for each additional item

Postal Airmail (5-14 days)

$12 for 1-2 items

$4 for each additional item

MEXICO:

$30 for 1-2 items

ZONE 1:

(Most of Western Europe, Singapore, Monaco, Hong Kong)

$30 for 1-2 items

ZONE 2:

(Rest of Western Europe, Australia, Asia, Caribbean) $

$35 for 1-2 items

7 for each additional item

ZONE 3:

(Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe)

$40 for 1-2 items

ZONE 4:

(Japan and Taiwan)

$32 for 1-2 items

$6 for each additional item

I don't know if Amazon uses a non-trackable postal service for overseas, but that would probably be the reason why it is much cheaper.

Michael

The difference may be due to the delivery time: LFB guarantees (more or less) a delivery time of 2-5 business days. Amazon has different rates:

1. Standard International Shipping $4.49 (books), 9 to 36 business days.

2. Expedited International Shipping $7.49 (books), 6 to 22 business days.

3. Priority International Courier $29.99 (books), 2 to 4 business days.

Well, for that difference I'll wait a few weeks. I've never had problems with delivery and the articles arrive almost always much sooner than the expected delivery day.

There is another option with Amazon, but I don't know if it applies to overseas orders. They have a partnership with Borders Books where you can pick up a book at a local Borders store. If you are in Europe you probably need to shop locally in order to get decent prices and not have excessive shipping costs. Also many times a local book store will be able to special order a book for you if you give the ISBN number. LFB shows the IBSN number on their entries right by the price.

I have had better luck with LFB as far as service. The overseas shipping thing is expensive but they do give a 10% discount for international orders over $200. They also have free shipping in US for orders of $100 or more as well as volume discounts.

Kat

Objectivist Living Bookstore

I was dismayed at reading on another forum that Mayhew made the following statement:

"I should mention, however, that some (but not much) of my editing aimed to clarify wording that, if left unaltered, might be taken to imply a viewpoint that she explicitly rejected in her written works."

I've already ordered the book, but now I feel cheated. :evil: I've no problem with editing to straighten out the grammar and removing superfluous repetititions etc. But changing the meaning of the text is unacceptable. That's just rewriting history to keep the image of Rand untarnished. If Mayhew was afraid that some parts of the text might be misleading to newcomers, he should have inserted footnotes, but adapting the text to the Holy Canon is highly reprehensible. I was interested in the book just while it might give a somewhat different view of Rand than the official text, while she was speaking of the cuff, and also it would be interesting to see if and how her viewpoints might have changed in time. I'm not interested in some sanitized version that has the ARI approval stamp. These people remind me of the priests who carefully shield the unsuspecting laypeople from the less suitable passages in the bible (we know what is good for you, some things would only confuse you!). No wonder outsiders see Objectivism as another religion! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Is there a way you could set up a link to Amazon that would give OL credit for any book purchased, not just the one listed in the bookstore. I frequently purchase from Amazon, and would love for those purchases to help out OL.

Sure Jody, I have affiliate links for both Amazon and LFB, which is the preferred store. They have better prices, better service and higher commissions. What more can I say? O:)

Objectivist Books is just an internet store for now, but one day maybe we will have a real store. Here are the links:

Bookstores

Objectivist Living Bookstore

Laissez Faire Books

Amazon

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Update on Objectivist Living Bookstore

Our main page is http://www.objectivistbooks.com and has direct links to most of the objectivist related titles at both LFB and Amazon. Please save to your favorities.

I have created a new store within Amazon for Objectivist Living Bookstore. Click the @Amazon in the left menu in the bookstore to view our new store within the store. Our new Amazon link is

http://astore.amazon.com/wheelerdesign-20

Of course, we hope you will shop for books and videos through our bookstore and help support OL financially. LFB is our preferred supplier because they have the best prices and pay much higher commissions than Amazon. Through October 15, LFB is having their 15% off everything sale.

Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Kat, are there sufficient UK members to make a UK link worthwhile? I would like to support OL this way, but shipping costs make it prohibitive for me.

Hi Fran,

Where do you buy your books online out there? I know there was a discussion with Dragonfly earlier about the shipping costs too, and LFB was the better choice, but it is still pretty cost prohibitive for Europeans to buy books from the U.S. If I knew who sold books of interest to Objectivists out there and I can sign up for an affiliate link, I will try to do so.

Another painless way to support OL is to shop through http://www.iGive.com/OL There are over 650 well-known online stores. Join and shop your favorite online stores and travel sites to support Objectivist Living by using this link. Thanks!

Kat

Where do you buy your books online out there? I know there was a discussion with Dragonfly earlier about the shipping costs too, and LFB was the better choice, but it is still pretty cost prohibitive for Europeans to buy books from the U.S.

Well, I buy regularly from Amazon and the costs are not too high, whereas LFB is far too expensive with $30(!) for shipping. See my earlier posts in this thread.

Hi Kat

I usually buy stuff from either Amazon.co.uk or the Book Depository. I have a preference for the Book Depository as they don't charge for shipping and seem to have more Objectivist books in stock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html/202...023?node=468294

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WW...ES/homepage.php

Do either of these help?

Thank you for the link, which I'll check out.

Fran

I have revamped the bookstore slightly and signed on as an amazon.co.uk affiliate for our European friends.

Visit objectivistbooks.com where you can shop LFB, Amazon US and Amazon UK and show your support for Objectivist Living.

Here are the direct links so you can bookmark them.

Objectivist Living Bookstore - http://www.objectivistbooks.com

Laissez Faire Books - http://lfb.com/cart/affiliate.php?code=10736

Amazon US - http://astore.amazon.com/wheelerdesign-20

Amazon UK - http://astore.amazon.co.uk/objectivlivin-21

Thank you for your support!

Kat