The Slaughter of the Lame

My belief that great offense trumps great defense was blown away, as well as a $50 bet on Denver.

Exactly what I suspected. Except I think they 'cracked' it before the game started.

I told my wife before the end of the 1st quarter "they know exactly what Denver in going to do, the defense is too perfect."

They didn't spend half the game figuring out Peyton's signals, they had them from the beginning. Sherman's going to get a lot of grief for opening his mouth...

Mikee wrote, “I told my wife before the end of the 1st quarter "they know exactly what Denver in going to do, the defense is too perfect."

I said the same to my wife around the third quarter. I also said, “Nobody predicted this!” Then we switched to PBS’s “Downton Abbey.” Did Manning say “Omaha” even once? I can’t say “cracking the code” is cheating nor is reading the defense cheating. Bugging a locker room is cheating.

I listened to a radio program, reference on Rush Limbaugh’s show that discussed how Manning dominated the practice field even telling the defense to do this or that. He made everyone think and think again about what they were seeing the opposing side do. My theory going into the second half was that Manning’s Broncos were “over-thinking” every play, slowing down their response times. The Seahawks, in contrast, were just playing “in the zone.”

And what about Denver's defense? Where was that?

Actually, I don't think you can blame the defense. They prevented the Seahawks from getting into the end zone on their first two drives, but the defense will get tired if they're on the field all the time. It is up to the offense to make successful drives and keep the opposing offense off the field long enough for the defense to rest and long enough to eat up the time the opposing offense needs to score. If the opposing offense is on the field the vast majority of the time, they will eat you alive no matter what your defense does.

If Seattle knew what Denver was planning on every play, that explains a lot. Their defense looked pretty awesome.

Darrell

It's a team effort. Defense & Offense.

Tired? perhaps, especially for those not in premiere physical shape.

-Luigi Vegasi