"Romanticist Art" Is Not The Essence Of The Objectivist Esthetics

Jonathan

I guess the way it happened Jules likelier shot it in the wider horizontal format, then cropped the picture vertically, afterwards. (Jules?) And quite right, the advantage with a superb lens and large camera sensor, one can crop in and enlarge quite substantially with little loss of res and acutance.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what I did!

Michael that too is my very favorite capture as well!

As far as quality this is probably the highest quality lens nikon has ever built. The MTF chart is off the wall. As close to perfect light transmission as you can get.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/05/14/nikon-announces-a-new-nikkor-af-s-400mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

I am reallly looking forward to this spring/summer when my ospreys return!

I particularly like this one: http://jestephotography.deviantart.com/art/Osprey-Deadly-Intent-480841637The forms of the wings are awesome and I have never seen a bird that way before.

Outstanding Jules. Your best so far, to me.

Is the idea to take a broad shot then crop it down with the high quality lens maintaining the clarity and detail?

--Brant

That is the just of it Brant however the reason I bought this lens as well is the fact that it is such a sharp lens (sharper than the sensor can detect) that it is the best candidate for using the 2X Teleconverter. I have the 1.7 and 2X TC and am awaiting the 1.4.

This way I have 4 lenses in one a 400mm f2.8

A 560mm f4, a 680mm f4.8 and an 800mm f5.6.

The idea is to chose the set up most likely to be used so as not having to crop at all or only slightly for compositional purposes. With teleconverters you get a loss of light and an amount of image degradation due to the extra glass between camera and lens. They also magnify lens imperfections. This one has none. I have read a 2X will result in a loss of 26% detail and micro contrast. So far in my tests I am not really seeing it except at 100% crop pixel peeping.

About the art part I am looking forward to seeing how Kahmi discusses photography.

She discusses photography with the same method that she uses on all of the other arts: she arbitrarily imposes her own personal limits of knowledge and aesthetic response on the medium, and declares that the medium is limited to what very little she knows about it.

J

Ironically the best camera in the nikon lineup for crop ability is the D800-D810 lineup. 36Megapixel sensor. The D4S I use is only 16.2 megapixels. However the hi ISO capability and hi ISO dynamic range and color fidelity is the absolute best on the market. (Shooting wildlife is often done in less than ideal low light situations). I can get a printable image at ISO 5000-12800 easily and up to 25000 ISO with noise reduction. All other cameras are left in the dust.

Hierarchy broadens the mind.

It allows for ascending concepts, where previously there were fewer concepts. (To stick my neck out, objective concepts and values 'descend' to meet the subjective level, I think; where they merge, perhaps some 'subjectivity' eventually 'becomes' objective.)

To repeat the distinction: hierarchy opens up more possibilities by building on and into the existing structure - it does not destroy or negate the present "structure".

This applies to Rand's Romanticism (a subset of art, I should add, that has always been around to a lesser or greater intensity, ever since there was art - and others apart from her have known it, albeit not what it represented as clearly as she).

There is definitely something in this.

Personally I have had a instinct about art that I couldn't quite name, and everytime I try to express it, it inspires anger in others for no reason I can make out. It's this, that the nature of art works in a certain way and the key is for the artist to ride with it.

Trade, love, games, war, leaders, work, art - these things have been around forever. Some people excel at one or all of them, some are mediocrities, some professional, or competent, others are geniuses at understanding the nature of their field and grow it onto higher and higher levels.

I see Romanticism in the upper reaches of art - it builds to incredible emotional and intellectual heights from a solid foundation based on axioms of the particular art's nature. In a way once one is on an art path there is an implicit standard of higher and higher levels. Bad foundations destroy any hope building high. Romanticism is both the glory of art, but its also the tormentor if one doesn't have what it takes.

Hierarchy broadens the mind.

It allows for ascending concepts, where previously there were fewer concepts. (To stick my neck out, objective concepts and values 'descend' to meet the subjective level, I think; where they merge, perhaps some 'subjectivity' eventually 'becomes' objective.)

To repeat the distinction: hierarchy opens up more possibilities by building on and into the existing structure - it does not destroy or negate the present "structure".

This applies to Rand's Romanticism (a subset of art, I should add, that has always been around to a lesser or greater intensity, ever since there was art - and others apart from her have known it, albeit not what it represented as clearly as she).

There is definitely something in this.

Personally I have had a instinct about art that I couldn't quite name, and everytime I try to express it, it inspires anger in others for no reason I can make out. It's this, that the nature of art works in certain way and the key for the artist ride with it.

Trade, love, games, war, leaders, work, art - these things have been around forever. Some people excel at one or all of them, some are mediocrities, some professional, or competent, others are geniuses at understanding the nature of their field and grow it onto higher and higher levels.

I see Romanticism in the upper reaches of art - it builds to incredible emotional and intellectual heights from a solid foundation based on axioms of the particular art's nature. In a way once one is on an art path there is an implicit standard of higher and higher levels. Bad foundations destroy any hope building high. Romanticism is both the glory of art, but its also the tormentor if one doesn't have what it takes.

I'd start with sheer technical ability before I tried to layer on any of this.

--Brant

regardless, you've just left poor Frank O'Connor standing at the station

What I was groping towards, you said well, Michael. You'd know, this process you outline in understanding art, precisely matches one's understanding of life, and evolvement of consciousness. "Foundations"--right!!

As far as quality this is probably the highest quality lens nikon has ever built. The MTF chart is off the wall. As close to perfect light transmission as you can get.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/05/14/nikon-announces-a-new-nikkor-af-s-400mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

At a cool R145,000 (SA Rands) it's deposit on a decent house here. I assume you weighed this telephoto against the very good Nikkor long zooms, and went for fast aperture rather? (You can crop, of course).Personally, I wouldn't like to be changing tele-converters in tough conditions with frozen fingers too often. How do you keep the equipment warm and dry anyhow? (in those ridiculous temps).

At a cool R145,000 (SA Rands) it's deposit on a decent house here. I assume you weighed this telephoto against the very good Nikkor long zooms, and went for fast aperture rather? (You can crop, of course).Personally, I wouldn't like to be changing tele-converters in tough conditions with frozen fingers too often. How do you keep the equipment warm and dry anyhow? (in those ridiculous temps).

I pre plan. If I am going out to shoot the gyrfalcon for example I knowww I'm going to need the reach I put on the 2X before leaving the house. If I have been outside in the cold all day the whole rig goes in a plastic bag with silicon packs to soak up moisture as I slowly bring it back to room temp. When shooting pretty much everything else I use it bare or possibly the 1.4.

• 6 years later...

Did not know where to put this excerpt from a story at Science Daily. I figured I had to post it to OL, given the phrase therein "Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics."

How the brain paints the beauty of a landscape

How does a view of nature gain its gloss of beauty? We know that the sight of beautiful landscapes engages the brain's reward systems. But how does the brain transform visual signals into aesthetic ones? Why do we perceive a mountain vista or passing clouds as beautiful? A research team from the Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics has taken up this question and investigated how our brains proceed from merely seeing a landscape to feeling its aesthetic impact.

[...]