I'm scared to be in a good mood for no reason. Is it OK to be in a good mood?

Nerian

I'm scared to be in a good mood for no reason. I think that if I wake up and I just feel good, and I feel good during the day that I won't have any motivation to do anything, and I will not see dangers, and my life will self destruct.

I'm fairly sure this is irrational. The better mood I'm in, the more productive I am, I think. But I can't shake the idea that I need a GOOD reason to be in a good mood, not merely in a good mood. On the other hand, to have a happy life, it seems clear to me that being in an optimistic, light, good mood most of the time is a great way to live. I've had those days and they are great.

Is it OK to be in a good mood as you go about your day? (Assuming nothing bad has happened.)

Is it OK to be in a good mood as you go about your day? (Assuming nothing bad has happened.)

Permit me to ask you a question.

How old are you?

None of your business is an acceptable answer.

A...

If you're a cranky irritable bastard, that's good, it means you're thinking. If you're in a good mood in means you're missing something. Try to figure out what you're missing. Paranoid is good, means you might live long enough to learn something.

Permit me to ask you a question.

How old are you?

None of your business is an acceptable answer.

A...

I'm 24.

A good reason to be in a good mood: you are alive.

That's a good point. :cool:

This might help:

New Age Bullshit Generator

:smile:

Michael

I don't understand.

Peter writes:

I'm scared to be in a good mood for no reason.

That's not a good mood. :wink:

Greg

I don't understand your meaning.

I'm going to keep my eye on this dude.

Michael

How so? :P

If you're a cranky irritable bastard, that's good, it means you're thinking. If you're in a good mood in means you're missing something. Try to figure out what you're missing. Paranoid is good, means you might live long enough to learn something.

But isn't the point of life to enjoy it and be happy? How can being irritable and cranky be good? How can that at all be rational? That would lessen your enjoyment of life. Can't you learn and thrive while also being in a good mood? If not, then what is the point of being alive? I know Objectivists don't consider merely existing as the goal but thriving qua man.

That's not a good mood. :wink: Greg
Peter writes:I don't understand your meaning.
If you're scared to be in a good mood for no good reason, that's not actually a good mood in the first place. It's a bad one.Greg

I'm scared to be in a good mood for no reason. I think that if I wake up and I just feel good, and I feel good during the day that I won't have any motivation to do anything, and I will not see dangers, and my life will self destruct.

I'm fairly sure this is irrational. The better mood I'm in, the more productive I am, I think. But I can't shake the idea that I need a GOOD reason to be in a good mood, not merely in a good mood. On the other hand, to have a happy life, it seems clear to me that being in an optimistic, light, good mood most of the time is a great way to live. I've had those days and they are great.

So, what happens the rest of the day?

What happens the rest of the day when you wake up unhappy in a bad mood?

Let me relate something about thinking. Why are you thinking about one thing when you could be thinking about another?

If you feel good why not just enjoy it and think good things?

This is my contrary rule for avoiding unnecessary depression. If I'm thinking bad or neagative thoughts I ask myself if it's for a positive end. If not, I stop those thoughts.

--Brant

That's not a good mood. :wink:

Greg

Peter writes:

I don't understand your meaning.

If you're scared to be in a good mood for no good reason, that's not actually a good mood in the first place. It's a bad one.

Greg

Indeed it is. Did I say otherwise?

So, what happens the rest of the day?

What happens the rest of the day when you wake up unhappy in a bad mood?

Let me relate something about thinking. Why are you thinking about one thing when you could be thinking about another?

If you feel good why not just enjoy it and think good things?

This is my contrary rule for avoiding unnecessary depression. If I'm thinking bad or neagative thoughts I ask myself if it's for a positive end. If not, I stop those thoughts.

--Brant

If I do feel good I worry that I have no good reason to feel good, and that usually knocks me out of it. I don't feel bad per se, I just feel neutral most of the time. I would indeed like to feel good and not worry that it would cause me to lose motivation or lose touch with reality. If I feel good and I can't identify why then that worries me the most.

The last part is very useful. Thank you! :)

I don't understand.

Nerian,

Just joking.

Here's language you might understand.

You have requested value from others, but have offered nothing of value in return.

It's a bad trade so far. Are you morally comfortable doing that?

Michael

I am asking a question on an open forum. People respond if they care to. What am I to offer? Payment? Who would I pay? How would I know who to ask if I don't know them already? I assumed people here were part of an online discussion board because they were interested in discussion for their own enjoyment. I still don't really get your meaning.

Perhaps what you need to do is not take the Objectivist theory of emotions too seriously. If you get a good sleep and are refreshed and have lots of energy, that is a good thing, no matter what Objectivism says. Being in a positive mood as a result of health and energy is a normal cause and effect response. If Objectivism says otherwise, then phooey on Objectivism.

As great a genius as Ayn Rand was, she had some funny ideas about the body mind connection. Like for example that diseases can be caused by bad premises. And her theory of sex, which would fail a scientific test. And ignoring or denying the influence of body on mind.

Peter,

Your more recent posts gave good value.

We got to know you a bit and that's plenty valuable.

Michael

Ah, I see. Thank you :)

Perhaps what you need to do is not take the Objectivist theory of emotions too seriously. If you get a good sleep and are refreshed and have lots of energy, that is a good thing, no matter what Objectivism says. Being in a positive mood as a result of health and energy is a normal cause and effect response. If Objectivism says otherwise, then phooey on Objectivism.

As great a genius as Ayn Rand was, she had some funny ideas about the body mind connection. Like for example that diseases can be caused by bad premises. And her theory of sex, which would fail a scientific test. And ignoring or denying the influence of body on mind.

I agree. I guess I'm trying to untangle the whole thing. Thank you for your guidance.

If you're a cranky irritable bastard, that's good, it means you're thinking. If you're in a good mood it means you're missing something. Try to figure out what you're missing. Paranoid is good, means you might live long enough to learn something.

But isn't the point of life to enjoy it and be happy? How can being irritable and cranky be good? How can that at all be rational? That would lessen your enjoyment of life. Can't you learn and thrive while also being in a good mood? If not, then what is the point of being alive? I know Objectivists don't consider merely existing as the goal but thriving qua man.

The point of life is to stay alive and pursue your values. Feeling good happens when you accomplish a goal. The feeling is fleeting, which should motivate you to pursue your next goal. Observe nature. All creatures when they're not sleeping are busy doing something. You are not a vegetable, when you are awake you should be doing something. Get in shape, eat right, exercise regularly, sleep soundly, do stuff you like that inspires you. Liking yourself a lot, a whole lot, is a lot more satisfying than "feeling good" all the time, whatever that means anyway. Didn't Ayn Rand say something to the effect that she likes a frowning face because it's a sign that thinking is going on behind the frown?

If you're a cranky irritable bastard, that's good, it means you're thinking. If you're in a good mood it means you're missing something. Try to figure out what you're missing. Paranoid is good, means you might live long enough to learn something.

The point of life is to stay alive and pursue your values. Feeling good happens when you accomplish a goal. The feeling is fleeting, which should motivate you to pursue your next goal. Observe nature. All creatures when they're not sleeping are busy doing something. You are not a vegetable, when you are awake you should be doing something. Get in shape, eat right, exercise regularly, sleep soundly, do stuff you like that inspires you. Liking yourself a lot, a whole lot, is a lot more satisfying than "feeling good" all the time, whatever that means anyway. Didn't Ayn Rand say something to the effect that she likes a frowning face because it's a sign that thinking is going on behind the frown?

I'm often catching myself frowning intensely and feel bad about it and try to stop. lol. Interesting to know.

Peter, Despite jts' protests, I think there's much to learn in the "Objectivist theory of emotions". Though it hasn't been expanded nearly enough imo. There is an inarguable congruency between one's overall premises, one's actions (thought included)... and one's subsequent emotions. Perhaps allow the theory to be 'tested' by your own introspection for a while, and see what you come up with. In essence, the point is complete integration of the two: so, the objective to aim for is no mind/emotion separation.

My small addition to it is that an emotional response does not have to be immediately evident, and often is not.

On waking in a good mood, who's to say you are not responding proudly and cheerfully to a minor act of courage and integrity, or some intellectual breakthrough you achieved - a day or even a week earlier - an emotion which is only rising from the subconscious now? I cannot rule it out.

"I would indeed like to feel good and not worry that it would cause me to lose motivation or to lose touch with reality".[Nerian]

That last part bothers me a little. Are you not "reality"- yourself? You're where you should be all the time, (as the song goes).

Do you believe it's necessary to frantically drive oneself to not allowing a single aspect of 'reality' to escape one's observation? Graduate, or be discerning of, what you take in - slow down - and allow the input to 'settle' while calmly thinking about it over some time, I suggest. But I'm putting poorly and too briefly what is a large subject on its own.

Otherwise, I pick up from you the very similar constant anxiety and awkwardness I felt in my 20's into 30's. It was not a pleasant time. Too easy now, looking back, to say it does not have to be that way - but it doesn't. Reading Branden's literature much later had one of the greatest influences on me for the better.