Lest we forget...it is Veteran's Day

Selene

Fighting and dying for freedom is an American cultural bromide for America never fought for Americans' freedom except The Revolutionary War. There are two or three others worth arguing about, namely The Civil War, WWII and The Cold War and its proxy shooting wars. (I'm talking about major conflicts.)

--Brant

We had to fight in WW2. The continuation of civilization was at stake.

The Soviet Union emerged the big winner in WWII, taking over most of Eastern Europe. And the U.S allied itself with kindly "Uncle Joe" Stalin, who was even more of a mass murderer than Hitler. I would scarcely call that fighting for civilization.

Ghs

Fighting and dying for freedom is an American cultural bromide for America never fought for Americans' freedom except The Revolutionary War. There are two or three others worth arguing about, namely The Civil War, WWII and The Cold War and its proxy shooting wars. (I'm talking about major conflicts.)

--Brant

We had to fight in WW2. The continuation of civilization was at stake.

The Soviet Union emerged the big winner in WWII, taking over most of Eastern Europe. And the U.S allied itself with kindly "Uncle Joe" Stalin, who was even more of a mass murderer than Hitler. I would scarcely call that fighting for civilization.

Ghs

The only war worth talking about for today's context is WWI. That war defines the world we live in today and birthed WWII. The fate of civilization was not at stake in the clash of European empires. The U.S. did not have to fight in what was the Great War making it a world war.

Few people today know of or acknowledge the role of big government progressivism in getting the US into that war. Teddy Roosevelt must have hated Taft, not Wilson--he must have known either he or Wilson would be elected in 1912 thanks to his candidacy. If only the guy who shot him had killed him! The progressives are mostly anti-war when the U.S. fights communists and communism. Where are the anti-Vietnamers now? Where are the peacenicks? If you ain't gonna get drafted who really gives a shit?

--Brant

They both make sense if the worlds they address are as simple as they think. The guy does more thinking than the irrelevant lady who doesn't understand men fight men. If you have ten men and ten ladies and the men go off and fight and only one comes back, one is enough to keep the ten ladies bare foot and pregnant for the next 10 years repopulating the shire by, oh, 90 including oh, 50 boys and in 25 years it's off to war again with a much bigger army. The next time the good guys win and bring home many captive women and the tribe gets even bigger and the tribe that got beat up can't repopulate. End of problem.

You see, we didn't bring home all the young, fertile women we could from these two wars after killing everyone else, except the Iraqi oilfield workers and their women. If we only had we'd have Iraqi oil and no problem now with ISIS.

Next time, let's do it right!

--Brant

I want to say only one more word: "Tahiti"