Would anyone care to help

Derek McGowan

I'm quite in agreement with you, as stated above. Technology in its outcome is morally neutral. One gets far more, far faster: the default position, as good as it gets. The accuracy of information and its intentionality place the onus on each person -more than ever- to integrate it into his conceptual and moral base or to reject it. Nothing new but the degree, in fact.

Then again, when *Technology* is perceived as less a tool, and more like a new Faith, it is one more leader for collectivists to fall behind.

Absolutely, Tony. It's become a secular religion that technology makes decent people. Heck, if you think that's insane... people even believe in the secular liberal political religion the that says government makes decent people!

Greg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The right kind of govt does make people decent.

I hold the opposite view.

Only decent people can make the right kind of government.

The American form of government was created by decent people, for decent people...

...and its failure today is solely caused by the failure of people to be decent.

Greg

The American form of government was created by decent people, for decent people...

...and its failure today is solely caused by the failure of people to be decent.

Greg

Completely agree.

A civil society, as our founders understood, is created by civil individual citizens.

Greg

Our view is probably closer on this than you think.

I didn't say anything about the genesis of a 'the right kind of govt'. I was playing with the placement of the word decent and what its placement implies.

What idi you mean by decent people? In my cloning reference I was using it more colloquially, but it seemed you are using it more 'judgementally' toward people in general.

The right kind of govt forces people to be decent or suffer the consequences protects me from bad people and their actions.It does not make them better people, nor should the right kind of govt.

Perhaps someone who reads Derek’s paper will critique it here on Objectivist Living, though I would not divulge facts that the author doesn’t want exposed. We aren’t Wikileaks, nor is Derek the NSA. Impasse. Now, I have bought George H. Smith’s book from a vendor after he advertised it here and the novel “Hunter” after it was discussed here. I will wait for now.

No money, huh? When that time arrives, there would be no fast food worker’s striking. Along with my caution about offline contacts with unknown people like Derek there is my distrust of those disgruntled food service workers when they get back to work. I also try to NOT irk chefs and food servers, or medical personnel.

The “no money hypothesis” still reminds me of the Rational Anarchism debate. Would there be no United States Constitution in Derek’s plan? Is that compatible with Objectivism? I find nothing “moral” in abolishing money or evolving into a moneyless society. Like the TV series, “I Dream Of Jeannie,” when the characters wishes are granted to disastrous results, I see comedy in no one having any money.

Peter Taylor

Peter, I am reading Derek's book (hardly a paper as it is 700 pages long, I believe). I have agreed to review it, although I admit the reading is slow going, so I can't say when exactly you can expect that review. I've sent Derek some feedback privately already, and I think at least some of his hesitation in discussing the particulars here is that he doesn't want to spoil the story for those of us who are reading it.

Greg

Completely agree.

A civil society, as our founders understood, is created by civil individual citizens.

What???

This is outrageous and totally unacceptable. I feel so offended, and it's all your fault, Adam. Here you're supposed to disagree with every word I write, and now your agreement has caused me to doubt my view. What am I to do now?

Greg :wink:

Completely agree.

What???

This is outrageous and totally unacceptable. I feel so offended, and it's all your fault, Adam. Here you're supposed to disagree with every word I write, and now your agreement has caused me to doubt my view. What am I to do now?

Convert to my side.

A...

Completely agree.

What???

Convert to my side.

A...

I'll have to wait for a life altering experience. :wink:

Greg