Free online lectures

Free online lectures

I will be posting links to some sites where free online lectures can be had. Some of them are audio and some are video. I will be adding as I go along. If anyone has a good link, please feel free to add it, also.

TED

This is an amazing site of videos by some of the world's top thinkers. Lecture categories: Technology, Entertainment, Design, Business, Science, Culture, Arts, Global issues.

EDGE

"Edge Foundation, Inc., was established in 1988 as an outgrowth of a group known as The Reality Club. Its informal membership includes of some of the most interesting minds in the world." Lots of videos and articles. Amazing stuff.

http://www.vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8

Feynman gives us not just a lesson in basic physics but also a deep insight into the scientific mind of a 20th century genius analyzing the approach of the 17th century genius Newton.

For the young scientist, brought up in this age of hi-tech PC / Power Point-based presentations, we also get an object lesson in how to give a lecture with nothing other than a piece of chalk and a blackboard. Furthermore we are shown how to respond with wit and panache to the technical mishaps that are part-and-parcel of the lecturer's life.

If you are unable to access the streaming video or would like a video copy of the lectures, they are available from the University of Auckland, contact physics@auckland.ac.nz, or The Tuva Trader.

Edited by ashleyparkerangel

Free University Lectures, Physics, Science, Math and others, continually updated.

http://lecturefox.com/

I particularly enjoyed the UC Berkeley 'descriptive introduction to physics'

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details...esid=1906978397

Also check the itunes podcasts and education sections, many courses are posted there.

I also recommend The Teaching Center's courses http://www.teach12.com These are expensive, but often you can find them at your local libraries.

• 6 months later...

I just found a wonderful tool for people who are busy, but can manage 5 minutes a day to read.

Daily Lit

So far, there are a little over 400 titles, but most of them are free. How it works is that you choose a book, then decide if you want to receive installments in your email or RSS reader. (I use my Google Reader.) This company will send you a selection that takes about 5 minutes to read. It will send another 5 minute the next time. And so forth.

You can choose to receive these tidbits daily, weekdays only or Mon/Wed/Fri. You can also receive other 5 minute installments immediately if you decide you want to read more at the time.

As I said, most are free and you don't even have to register. Just choose the book and provide your email or copy the subscription code in your RSS reader (you choose one or the other).

This way you can read entire books, especially classics, you always wanted to read but never had the time—and probably would not ever find the time. It will just take you so many days depending on the size of the book. Sizes vary from very short like A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift in 4 installments on up to really long ones like Les Miserables by Victor Hugo in 679 parts. Some Objectivists have never read classics like The Communist Manifesto, for example, and since it is only in 13 parts, that would be a painless way to do it.

What a wonderful idea!

btw - For those who do not know what an RSS reader is, here is a very short and charming video tutorial that makes it extremely easy to understand:

Michael

Here is one of the coolest things I have seen so far on the Internet in terms of video lectures.

MIT Lecture Browser

You not only get to watch videos of all the lectures, a text of the video runs beneath them while they are playing. If you click on a word in the running text, it will take you to that portion of the video. You can also copy/paste the words.

You can search for words like you do a text search on Google and it will give you options of videos and the places where such text appears in them.

You need RealPlayer and the lectures are MIT ones, but I have no doubt this will catch on and expand quickly.

All I can say is:

WOW!

Michael

Free online lectures

I will be posting links to some sites where free online lectures can be had. Some of them are audio and some are video. I will be adding as I go along. If anyone has a good link, please feel free to add it, also.

TED

This is an amazing site of videos by some of the world's top thinkers. Lecture categories: Technology, Entertainment, Design, Business, Science, Culture, Arts, Global issues.

EDGE

"Edge Foundation, Inc., was established in 1988 as an outgrowth of a group known as The Reality Club. Its informal membership includes of some of the most interesting minds in the world." Lots of videos and articles. Amazing stuff.

I wanted to 2nd the TED Lectures series, I've watched about 2 dozen now and everyone has been very intelligent, interesting, and thoughtfull.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...