New Low at SOLO

william.scherk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The celebration of a murder and by implication a murderer implies the murdered was worse, much worse, than the criminal and his act.

--Brant

I guess Joe Rowlands was quite prescient

I never came across RoR when I was still just lurking. Wss, I wish I had come across your excellent summary of the Osites then. I ventured onto OL because it lacked the sycophancy and earnest drear that the other sites contained in too full measure. Still, if I hadn't read them I would not have come across three of my favourite characters, the Stoic Scand, the Ultimate Philosopher of Plumbing, and the Unluckiest Man in the World.

The celebration of a murder and by implication a murderer implies the murdered was worse, much worse, than the criminal and his act.

It's just case of Pigero mimicking Rand's devotion to Kantian aesthetics. As is true of my past observations of Newberry, for Pigero and most of his toadies the Kantian notion of Sublimity is the driving force in their lives. They're dedicated to believing in the terror of the incomprehensible magnitude and evil of "the culture," and of the overwhelming power and destructive influence that Kant has had over it. Celebrating the murder of the musician is Pigero's way of experiencing Kantian Sublimity -- of feeling his capacity to resist the imagined overwhelming object of terror.

I guess Joe Rowlands was quite prescient.

I thought Rowlands was quite lacking in prescience. One has to be pretty dopey to get as involved with Pigero as he did, and to stay involved with him for as long as he did.

J

It's just case of Pigero mimicking Rand's devotion to Kantian aesthetics. As is true of my past observations of Newberry, for Pigero and most of his toadies the Kantian notion of Sublimity is the driving force in their lives. They're dedicated to believing in the terror of the incomprehensible magnitude and evil of "the culture," and of the overwhelming power and destructive influence that Kant has had over it. Celebrating the murder of the musician is Pigero's way of experiencing Kantian Sublimity -- of feeling his capacity to resist the imagined overwhelming object of terror.

That's quite ironic, given the impotence of evil premise of Rand's life work. Of course, the two can be reconciled if you accept the premise and its special Randian meaning. You gotta have the bad guys for gas in your tank.

--Brant

Some day in the next few months a wave of people are going to attend the Atlas Shrugged movie and then go online to see what Objectivism is all about.

This sort of thing on SOLO is one of the things they are going to see, with Perrigo spouting nonsense about a murder and his acolytes singing amen. But hey, on the bright side, that Mario Lanza sure can sing, right?

I see that Perigo along with everybody hopes the Atlas movie will be a success and celebrate greatness, Especially in Music.

For the sake of those poor souls who will be working with and for him after he sees the movie, I really, really hope he likes the soundtrack.

The bottom of the barrel, in my view, was reached when Perigo recently announced that he had cancer. Apparently the most important thing about his diagnosis was not its effect on him or on his friends, not his possibilities for recovery or death -- but the effect the knowledge of hs illness would have on his "enemies."

He entitled the announcenment "Good News and Bad News for Brandroids, Pomowankers, Lefties, Goblians. Islamosavages, Headbangers and Humanity-Diminishers!" The text began: "The good news for the aforementioned dregs is: I have cancer. The bad news is: it is eminently curable."

I cannot imagine that my major -- or minor -- focus , after learning I had a dangerous disease, would be on its effect on those I considered enemies . And what an admission of his personal psychology in the assumption that we would all be delighted to know that he had cancer. I despise Lindsay Perigo. I do not wish cancer or any other form of disease upon him. If he is to pay for his malice, it should be in spiritual terms, not in the form of disease.

I have thought for a long time that Perigo was obsessed, not with positives, not wth values, but with hatred of anyone who opposed him. His incredilbe attitude toward his own illness shows the appalling extent of his sick obsession.

Barbara

What attitude should he have with his illness, exactly? And how exactly do you know that this...

but the effect the knowledge of hs illness would have on his "enemies."

...is the most important thing to him? That he took a poke at the pomowankers in his post doesn't tell you what's most important to him at all. Taking a poke was obviously a value to him, but where exactly that sits in his hierarchy of values isn't indicated in his post. It seems to me that you despise Mr Perigo more than you love objectivity.

What attitude should he have with his illness, exactly? And how exactly do you know that this...

...is the most important thing to him? That he took a poke at the pomowankers in his post doesn't tell you what's most important to him at all. Taking a poke was obviously a value to him, but where exactly that sits in his hierarchy of values isn't indicated in his post. It seems to me that you despise Mr Perigo more than you love objectivity.

Nonsense. Anyone reading that post, even with no contextual knowledge of the writer, would clearly deduce that "taking a poke" was its chosen focus; and that the writer's sense of life was something like this:

"I am a figure of importance in the world. The world consists of (1) my enemies and (2) my friends."

Pokes, indeed.

Here's a link to it, for those not familiar.

http://www.solopassion.com/node/8153

how exactly do you know that this...

...is the most important thing to him?

Apparently you need to review the meaning of "apparently".

Richard,

This will be your only warning.

If you wish to continue posting on OL, Barbara is off limits for your snarkiness.

Period.

This is not negotiable and not open to any smart-ass responses.

Please read the posting guidelines if you have any doubts.

Michael

Apparently he needs to actually see the word before using a dictionary and then study the sentence in which it appears. Other words might require the dictionary too. Then he might go to SOLP and review a few years of Perigo's postings before putting it all together. Apparently.

--Brant

And what an admission of his personal psychology in the assumption that we would all be delighted to know that he had cancer.

Barbara,

Objectivist Liar and Hater Lindsay Perigo is on record many times taking great joy in the physical illness and death of people he does not approve of--including musicians. He obviously believes other people are like him. I think his commitment to hatred qua hatred--and to a weird form of power manifested as loyalty to him--has blinded him to reality. I believe he literally cannot properly identify other human beings.

This isn't even on the level of cognitive-normative inversion. It's just evaluation and to hell with any identification.

Perigo hated in the same fashion as a communist as he hates as an alleged Objectivist, This shows clearly that he hates because he likes to hate. Not for any other fundamental reason. The politics and philosophy he chooses are merely a pretext to rationalize and justify it. His hatred is not a result of philosophy, nor of the people he goads and spews venom at.

I despise Lindsay Perigo. I do not wish cancer or any other form of disease upon him. If he is to pay for his malice, it should be in spiritual terms, not in the form of disease.

We are 100% in agreement. I could not say it better or clearer. The way you just laid it out is probably the most objective way of putting it that I have seen so far--and God knows I have written my own share about this creep.

I have thought for a long time that Perigo was obsessed, not with positives, not with values, but with hatred of anyone who opposed him. His incredible attitude toward his own illness shows the appalling extent of his sick obsession.

Perigo is spite and malice enshrined as a form of Objectivism.

I find him disgusting.

Michael

Apparently he needs to actually see the word before using a dictionary and then study the sentence in which it appears. Other words might require the dictionary too. Then he might go to SOLP and review a few years of Perigo's postings before putting it all together. Apparently.

--Brant

In case my post wasn't clear.

Apparently the most important thing about his diagnosis was not its effect on him or on his friends, not his possibilities for recovery or death -- but the effect the knowledge of hs illness would have on his "enemies."

Nonsense. Anyone reading that post, even with no contextual knowledge of the writer, would clearly deduce that "taking a poke" was its chosen focus; and that the writer's sense of life was something like this:

"I am a figure of importance in the world. The world consists of (1) my enemies and (2) my friends."

Pokes, indeed.

Sure, it was his chosen focus, and it's absolutely clear that giving pomowankers etc a hard time is of great value to the writer, but there's no indication that it's his ultimate value.

Richard:

Out of curiosity, what is the point of these last few posts in this thread?

Nothing positive could possibly come out of intentionally poking at this metaphorical wasp's nest.

Let it go.

Adam

Pokes, indeed.

Sure, it was his chosen focus, and it's absolutely clear that giving pomowankers etc a hard time is of great value to the writer, but there's no indication that it's his ultimate value.

OK, if you say so. Let's be benevolent then, and assume from indications that his highest value is a certain very dead opera singer.

Would anyone here be upset at people celebrating the death of a despot with blood on his hands? When people celebrated the fall and death of Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Hitler, or any of those evil scum, would/did you hold it against them? In NZ we had a Green politician called Rod Donald, who died suddenly and unexpectedly. It was sad and tragic for those those who loved him, but my personal thought was along the lines of good riddance to bad rubbish. Although he was no despot, he was an evil bastard who was working to bring the rise of an evil ideology that would enable the likes of a Hitler or a Pol Pot. The difference between my thought and celebrating the death of a despot is merely a matter of degree.

Would anyone here be upset at people celebrating the death of a despot with blood on his hands? When people celebrated the fall and death of Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Hitler, or any of those evil scum, would/did you hold it against them? In NZ we had a Green politician called Rod Donald, who died suddenly and unexpectedly. It was sad and tragic for those those who loved him, but my personal thought was along the lines of good riddance to bad rubbish. Although he was no despot, he was an evil bastard who was working to bring the rise of an evil ideology that would enable the likes of a Hitler or a Pol Pot. The difference between my thought and celebrating the death of a despot is merely a matter of degree.

Let's compare the actions of Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot and Hitler, etc., to those of the people whose deaths Pigero celebrates.

Hitler and company.

Crime: Tortured, killed and otherwise destroyed the lives of millions of people.

Rock musicians.

Crime: Created music that Pigero dislikes.

Nuff said?

J

Richard,

All right, what is Lindsay Perigo's ultimate value?

And how do you know?

Robert Campbell

I hope Lindsay Perigo has an empathetic response to the death toll and destruction in yesterday's Christchurch temblor.

Hope you and yours are safe and sound, Richard.

I hope Lindsay Perigo has an empathetic response to the death toll and destruction in yesterday's Christchurch temblor.

Hope you and yours are safe and sound, Richard.

William:

Mega dittos.

It would be helpful if you could post that you are OK, Richard.

Adam