Anarcho-capitalism VS Objectivism

Objectivism is a whole philosophy that makes claims about metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, aesthetics, politics. Anarcho-capitalism is a political and economic system. Objectivism advocates laissez-faire capitalism in politics. As you can see, they are different in kind. You cannot compare the two directly. Anarcho-capitalism is not a philosophical system, and Objectivism is not a political system. Laissez-faire capitalism (advocated by Objectivism) and Anarcho-capitalism can be compared as two different political systems, and they do indeed differ. The main way they differ is in the way arbitration is solved. Under capitalism, the state has monopoly control over arbitration and the use of force. Under anarcho-capitalism, there is no central monopoly of arbitration and no central monopoly over the use of force. In capitalism law courts, police and army are performed by the state. In anarcho-capitalism, law courts, police and army are all provided on the market. The details are complex and very involved, and so I can't explain them all here. You will have to read about laissez-faire capitalism and then compare it to anarcho-capitalism yourself.

Objectivism is a "whole philosophy" whose advocates make claims . . . .

I suppose they do differ except neither exists except as abstractions.

One really can't know these "details" prior to--whatever. Neither Objectivism nor anarcho-capitalism therefore are anything at all comparable save as abstractions. And to say Objectivism is a "whole" means you don't say it's "not a political system" too, as if a whole necessarily excludes a particular. The implication that Objectivism is lacking something and that a particular is available to make up that something raises the question of compatibility and why "whole" was used in the first place.

Nice attempt at clarity and simplicity. I find it more helpful to think in terms of freedom for the whole and individual rights for the particular.

--Brant

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely against partial birth abortions as described. They strike me as homicide.

--Brant

Avert you eyes. What comes out of Mama is her -property- at least until it turns into a person.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I'm absolutely against partial birth abortions as described. They strike me as homicide.

--Brant

Avert you eyes. What comes out of Mama is her -property- at least until it turns into a person.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Trite. If you can't do better why do it?

--Brant

--Brant

Not trite. But true. I have a thing for saying/writing true stuff. My Mission from God is to tell the Emperor that he is bare ass naked.

Ba'al Chatzaf

--Brant

Not trite. But true. I have a thing for saying/writing true stuff. My Mission from God is to tell the Emperor that he is bare ass naked.

Ba'al Chatzaf

True and trite are not necessarily incompatible and you are playing the role of the Emperor playing the role of the little boy.

--Brant

Dayaamm!

The image of Bob bare-ass naked is an imaginary visual that cannot be unseen.

:smile:

Michael

Dayaamm!

The image of Bob bare-ass naked is an imaginary visual that cannot be unseen.

:smile:

Michael

Not me!!! The Emperor....

Not me!!! The Emperor....

halloween-king-smiley-emoticon.gif

showing-ass.gif

Poor Bob. He doesn't know how he got hanged on his own petard.

I don't have a petard.

I don't have a petard.

Hmmm all these years I have heard and uses that cliche/phrase and never knew what a "petard" was...

petard [pi-tahrd] Examples Word Origin

noun
1. an explosive device formerly used in warfare to blow in a door or gate, form a breach in a wall, etc.

2. a kind of firecracker.

3. (initial capital letter). Also called Flying Dustbin. a British spigot mortar of World War II that fired a 40-pound (18 kg) finned bomb, designed to destroy pillboxes and other concrete obstacles.

Idioms

4. hoist by /with one's own petard, hurt, ruined, or destroyed by the very device or plot one had intended for another.

Origin

1590-1600

1590-1600; < Middle French, equivalent to pet (er) to break wind (derivative of pet < Latin pēditum a breaking wind, orig. neuter of past participle of pēdere to break wind) + -ard -ard

Examples from the web for petard

Honest people are hoist on their own petard by bad laws and crusading cops.

It was, rather, that he had hoist himself on the petard of his own virtue.

British Dictionary definitions for petard

petard

/pɪˈtɑːd/

noun

1. (formerly) a device containing explosives used to breach a wall, doors, etc

2. hoist with one's own petard, being the victim of one's own schemes

3. a type of explosive firework

Word Origin

C16: from French: firework, from péter to break wind, from Latin pēdere

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition

© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins

Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Cite This Source

Word Origin and History for petard

n.

1590s, "small bomb used to blow in doors and breach walls," from French pétard (late 16c.), from Middle French péter "break wind," from Old French pet "a fart," from Latin peditum, noun use of neuter past participle of pedere "to break wind," from PIE root *pezd- "to fart" (see feisty ). Surviving in phrase hoist with one's own petard (or some variant) "blown up with one's own bomb," which is ultimately from Shakespeare (1605):

For tis the sport to haue the enginer Hoist with his owne petar ("Hamlet" III.iv.207).

A...

I don't have a petard.

Well here is an Avatar for you...

330px-Baal_Ugarit_Louvre_AO17330.jpg

I don't have a petard.

Who or what is that pointy headed dude?

I don't have a petard.

Who or what is that pointy headed dude?

Glad you asked Ba'al.

Baal, also rendered Baʿal (Biblical Hebrew בַּעַל, pronounced [ˈbaʕal]), is a North-West Semitic title and honorific meaning "master" or "lord"[1] that is used for various gods who were patrons of cities in the Levant and Asia Minor, cognate to Akkadian Bēlu. A Baalist or Baalite means a worshipper of Baal.

"Baal" may refer to any god and even to human officials. In some texts it is used for Hadad, a god of thunderstorms, fertility and agriculture, and the lord of Heaven. Baal is often represented by the symbol of the bull. Since only priests were allowed to utter his divine name, Hadad, Ba‛al was commonly used. Prior to the discovery of the Ugaritic texts it was sometimes thought that there were various and quite-separate gods called Baal. However, it is now generally accepted that there was one great Canaanite storm-and-fertility deity Baal-Hadad, and local manifestations of this one god.[2] Despite the tendency in the Hebrew Bible to avoid the use of the word as a proper name, it is now quite clear that by pre-Israelite times the term had become the usual name of the weather-god of Syria-Palestine.[3]

Lot's of interesting items in the Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal

A...