Leaving America for Freedom, Earth for Mars

Ed Hudgins

We are not technologically ready to attempt building permanent settlements on Mars. We need significant advances in propulsion technology. This will cut down on transit time and make the issue of solar and cosmic radiation less critical.

The Spaniards knew that there was gold in the new world. The Portugese knew there was a fortune to be made in oversea spice trade. What on Mars will bring gobs of money and profit to people who advocate settling there. In short, what makes Mars an economically worthwhile place to go?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Since you're the moon-man here answer your own question respecting the moon. I do believe you mentioned astronomy, but that doesn't seem enough.

--Brant

That is why any further Moon exploitation will be funded by tax loot, if it is funded at all.

When was the last time a human set foot on the Moon? I think it was 1972 -- 41 years.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not technologically ready to attempt building permanent settlements on Mars. We need significant advances in propulsion technology. This will cut down on transit time and make the issue of solar and cosmic radiation less critical.

The Spaniards knew that there was gold in the new world. The Portugese knew there was a fortune to be made in oversea spice trade. What on Mars will bring gobs of money and profit to people who advocate settling there. In short, what makes Mars an economically worthwhile place to go?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Since you're the moon-man here answer your own question respecting the moon. I do believe you mentioned astronomy, but that doesn't seem enough.

--Brant

That is why any further Moon exploitation will be funded by tax loot, if it is funded at all.

When was the last time a human set foot on the Moon? I think it was 1972 -- 41 years.

By the way, the Moon does have an advantage that would appeal to governments -- militarily it is The High Ground. See Heinlein's -The Moon is a Harsh Mistress- about the utility of throwing rocks at the Earth from the safety of the moon. Rocks landing on earth after being launched through the shallow gravity well of the Moon could be coming in hot, over 25,000 mph.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Okay, Bob. I agree, the US needs a military Space Force to keep the terrorists from throwing rocks at us.

--Brant

I'm trying to be funny-serious; not sarcastic; I do think it might be a good idea, but it's not necessary to act on it today

Ba'al Chatzaf

Iron filings?

• 7 months later...

If Mormons could make it in Utah, surely Objectivists can make it on Mars.

Utah falls within the natural parameters for human survival. Long before the Mormons came aboriginal tribes lived in what is now Utah.

Mars does not have a human breathable atmosphere. There is no evidence of water that can be feasibly extract on Mars. Mars is a shit hole and is too far from earth to be supported. There is no evidence that humans can "live of the land" on Mars.

So at this juncture a one way trip to mars is a suicide mission.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The center of Mars is a habital paradise. For a foretaste see Journey to the Center of the Earth.

And the women? Willing and waiting. Gold, emeralds and diamonds!

--B rant

drill baby, drill!

Nonsense! Mars is a dead world. Any life that might have been there died when the water and the atmosphere was ablated.

Mars is dead primarily because its magnetic field vanished and the planet was radiation blasted by the Sun.

The center of Mars is a habital paradise. For a foretaste see Journey to the Center of the Earth.

And the women? Willing and waiting. Gold, emeralds and diamonds!

--B rant

drill baby, drill!

Nonsense! Mars is a dead world. Any life that might have been there died when the water and the atmosphere was ablated.

Mars is dead primarily because its magnetic field vanished and the planet was radiation blasted by the Sun.

You don't get it, do you? Mars doesn't need a magnetic field. You just go underground. And the below ground atmospheric pressure and oxygen:nitrogen ratio is comparable to Earth's!

--B rant

I specialize in Martian real estate if you want to buy some: the Martians gave me the concession (I'm also brokering tickets for the next one-way blast off to our moon hub where you'll transfer to one of our atomic rocket ships [passage to Jupiter will be available next year])

live the future now!

Brant wrote:

You don't get it, do you? Mars doesn't need a magnetic field. You just go underground. And the below ground atmospheric pressure and oxygen:nitrogen ratio is comparable to Earth's!

end quote

If what you are saying is true, then I will mention that there is a band around Mar’s equator where the day time highs are in the 70’s Fahrenheit and it goes to minus 30 at night. But your composition ratio does show an indoor atmosphere could be sustained. Private travel to Mars could be financed but if a company had a government contract to explore, that would supply some of the needed capital for exploration and planting the flag, and if you think China or India will not plant their flag, you are wrong.

A one way ticket is not responsible at this point. A colony might end up as a heart wrenching lost colony, with daily updates on the nightly news. One scifi author predicted a daily ‘soap opera’ could be broadcast back to earth showing daily life on Mars and that might be like reality TV. That might finance supply missions. I think one reason a human colony might not survive is because the soil and air would not be close enough to earth's. After a few generations we might find that earth minerals are required, which could mean frequent supply ships carrying some of earth (or some actual earth dirt) each time.

Does anyone actually have proof that the Mars trip advertisers are crooked and not just “ahead of their time?”