Is Google trying to take over the world?

jts

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight? Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

20071001-pinky20brain.gif?w=327&h=330

I heard a rumor that Google is trying to take over the world. There is a whole shitload of websites spreading this rumor. Is it true?

I recently got a new computer. I had Google Chromium installed on the old computer. It had a whole bunch of bookmarks. I installed Google Chromium on the new computer. All my bookmarks appeared on the installation on the new computer. Where did they come from? I had them backed up on 3 external drives but I don't believe Chromium found the bookmarks. They were stored in some kind of Google cloud land. They work even moving from Linux to Windows.

Firefox doesn't do that. I have Firefox stuff backed up on the same 3 external hard drives. I can restore Firefox stuff going from Linux to Linux, but not from Linux to Windows.

Google has huge information about millions of people at least, perhaps hundreds of millions of people. Do you think maybe they have some diabolic plan like AJ seems to think?

Bookmarks are okay. As long as they don't have passwords, like the password to the bank account.

• 3 weeks later...

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight? Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

20071001-pinky20brain.gif?w=327&h=330

I heard a rumor that Google is trying to take over the world. There is a whole shitload of websites spreading this rumor. Is it true?

I recently got a new computer. I had Google Chromium installed on the old computer. It had a whole bunch of bookmarks. I installed Google Chromium on the new computer. All my bookmarks appeared on the installation on the new computer. Where did they come from? I had them backed up on 3 external drives but I don't believe Chromium found the bookmarks. They were stored in some kind of Google cloud land. They work even moving from Linux to Windows.

Firefox doesn't do that. I have Firefox stuff backed up on the same 3 external hard drives. I can restore Firefox stuff going from Linux to Linux, but not from Linux to Windows.

Google has huge information about millions of people at least, perhaps hundreds of millions of people. Do you think maybe they have some diabolic plan like AJ seems to think?

Bookmarks are okay. As long as they don't have passwords, like the password to the bank account.

I operate under the basic assumption that there is no such thing as internet privacy, then there are no unreasonable expectations over which to be disappointed or outraged. Nothing is stored in my computer. I just use it as an empty box with an operating system to access the internet. Pictures are all in public storage in the cloud, and so are all of my public emails. This greatly simplifies my life. :smile:

This is in line with the principle that when one leaves the privacy of his home and goes out into a public space there is no expectation of privacy.

I operate under the basic assumption that there is no such thing as internet privacy, then there are no unreasonable expectations over which to be disappointed or outraged. Nothing is stored in my computer. I just use it as an empty box with an operating system to access the internet. Pictures are all in public storage in the cloud, and so are all of my public emails. This greatly simplifies my life. :smile:

Where do you keep:

your bookmarks?

your passwords?

your programming projects?

How do you do internet banking?

This is in line with the principle that when one leaves the privacy of his home and goes out into a public space there is no expectation of privacy.

Yes. Exactly. The internet is only the virtual world of public interactive television. It is not the real world.

Where do you keep:

your bookmarks?

your passwords?

your programming projects?

How do you do internet banking?

I consider all of those computer items you mentioned to be in the public domain. So I don't care if the government knows my passwords, or my book marks. All of my projects are publicly posted in topic specific forums where anyone can read about them. And I also have no problem with the government knowing exactly how much money I have in the bank... because it already does.

There is no such thing as privacy on the internet. And anyone who fantasizes otherwise has only deluded themselves.

This issue also has a broader context in that our Conscience sees everything we do.

Anyone who goes out on the street can not have any reasonable expectation of privacy. One the street one sees others and is seen by others.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I consider all of those computer items you mentioned to be in the public domain. So I don't care if the government knows my passwords, or my book marks. All of my projects are publicly posted in topic specific forums where anyone can read about them. And I also have no problem with the government knowing exactly how much money I have in the bank... because it already does.

They can do more than know how much money you have in the bank. They can take it out.

They can do more than know how much money you have in the bank. They can take it out.

How?

So what?

A mosquito can bite you and kill you with malaria. Should I continue with more examples?

I freely chose not to live like that a long time ago. However, you are free to if that is your wish.