Glenn Beck's Art - Obama Bobblehead in Pee-Pee

Glenn Beck's Art - Obama Bobblehead in Pee-Pee

This, folks, is how you fight the story wars of propaganda.

Glenn was totally disgusted by a recent painting on display in Boston showing Obama as Jesus:

636_112612_fx_obama_crucifix-620x243.jpg

(You can read the story here.)

I don't think he was too thrilled about Jamie Foxx calling Obama "Our Lord and Savior" at the Soul Train Awards 2012, either (see here).

Regardless of your opinion about religion, this stuff is creepy. It also leads to a very, very dark place as history has shown time and time again.

So what to do? Especially if you are Glenn?

Let this attack on what he believes is sacred stand? Do nothing? Or maybe he should go cry to the government to make it all stop by forcing these things to shut down?

Nah.

Glenn is into personal responsibility. He decided to answer them all on their own intellectual turf.

He made his own art.

And he made a broadcast about it. French accent, painter's garb, the works.

As protected by the USA Constitution--which is what the defenders of the religious sewage artists (you know, good talented folks like those who made "Piss Christ" and "The Holy Virgin Mary" splattered with elephant dung) always proclaim so sanctimoniously.

Or as the artist who made that tacky Obama on the cross so greatly enjoys.

I got the headline below from TheBlaze, but I got the embedded video off of Real Clear Politics here (albeit, the embed link is also from TheBlaze). So you know this thing is going to spread wide and far.

YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT GLENN BECK DID TO AN OBAMA BOBBLEHEAD DURING HIS SHOW ON TUESDAY

by Tiffany Gabbay

November 27, 2012

TheBlaze

Now that is a story war response at its finest.

Ah, yes. There's the coda.

At the end, he has a smaller bottle of pee on hand if his masterpiece gets sold fast. (And I bet you it will.) He wants to use it for a urinary artwork with a likeness of Michelle Obama, (probably a bobblehead, too) in honor of her efforts about nutrition and slimming down.

:)

Michael

The following isn't about Glenn Beck, but it did come from the same page on Real Clear Politics video as the above one about Glenn did.

I think it's kinda appropriate.

Liberal Radio Host Mike Malloy: "Wipe Out All The Tea Baggers"

Mike Malloy: These Tea Bag bastards who by the way, I just wish they would all just go away - or, like in Passover, I just wish there was an angel of the Lord that would pass over - instead of killing the first born in all the households of Egypt just wipe out all the Tea Baggers. Just, you know, the terrible swift sword, just [Mike makes exaggerated "swishing" sounds] - lob their heads off! (November 26, 2012)

On YouTube (which is the link RCP uses), the title is "Libtalker Calls For Beheading Of Conservatives":

Wait until Malloy sees Glenn's art.

Michael

Just a quiet word about topic titles , Michael,,, some of your readers, albeit few, are wives and mothers who come here for respite from bobbleheads and pee-pee, and might be deterred by such keywords, from gaining significant epiestemilogical knowledge.

I was just listening to Glenn on the radio and here is an update, almost in real time.

This morning, Mercury One (his company) listed "Obama in Pee Pee" (the official name of his work of art) on eBay to be auctioned off, with the proceeds going to charity.

About $11 thousand had been registered when eBay removed the auction. This happened within 30 minutes of posting it.

There is an eBay policy of not being able to sell human waste or body parts on its site, unless it is non-Native American skulls and a few other specialty things.

In response, Glenn is now finding a way to auction it off. Also, he canceled today's TV show programming and will do a special with the artist of the Obama as Jesus painting, who is now whining that the conservatives shut him down in New York. Heh. Conservatives shutting down anti-religious art in NEW YORK in today's culture?!!

Double heh.

Glenn is also trying to schedule someone from eBay.

The weird thing is that "Obama in Pee Pee" has now turned into a major search term and the black-hat marketers are cashing in. Stu (one of Glenn's sidekicks on the radio show) read an offering of Hostess Ding Dongs--which is now a hot eBay item--and it included "Obama in Pee Pee" as one of the tags. This also happened within about a half an hour.

This thing is going to get real fun.

Michael

I forgot to mention that Glenn showed the mason jar with the urine and the Bobblehead of Obama in it on the TV broadcasd of his radio show. No matter which way he held it, the Obamabobble would turn and look at him, bobbing in the pee. Even when Glenn placed it on the counter to see if his angles of holding it were causing the thing to turn. Nope.

Bobble bobble bobble, turn turn turn look at Glenn, look at Glenn, look at Glenn...

I'm starting to think about Chucky...

Michael

I forgot to mention that Glenn showed the mason jar with the urine and the Bobblehead of Obama in it on the TV broadcasd of his radio show. No matter which way he held it, the Obamabobble would turn and look at him, bobbing in the pee. Even when Glenn placed it on the counter to see if his angles of holding it were causing the thing to turn. Nope.

Bobble bobble bobble, turn turn turn look at Glenn, look at Glenn, look at Glenn...

I'm starting to think about Chucky...

:smile:

Michael

I'm starting to think about chucking.

It isn't you or Glenn or free speech, it's just me. I have an extraordinarily low gag reflex threshhold on scatology and related, to the extent that there are some common words I just cannot say. Reading or hearing them doesn't bother me, it is just having to confront images. Thus I cannot appreciate bathroom humour although it has a long and honourable history in comedy, and I know Mozart whom I revere enjoyed it. You can imagine at what point I gave up trying to read Alongside Night.

Drs Campbell or Hardin might speculate that this phobic condition is rooted in some forgotten childhood incident, and might be treatable, but so what. I don't want to learn to appreciate Glenn Beck sloshing jars of urine around,

Carol,

Let me chide you a little.

You complained about the gag reflex with Glenn Beck's publicity stunt, but you did not mention the famous Piss Christ or the Virgin Mary splattered in elephant dung. Don't forget, these came waaaaaaaay before Glenn did his thing. In fact, they were his inspiration.

An indiscriminating reader might get the idea that you find Piss Christ OK enough to give it a pass (i.e., as the Catholics say, sin by omission :) ), but Glenn causes you to drag out your gag reflex in public.

That hints there might be other values at stake than simple repugnance at bathroom humor.

After all, Jesus can take care of himself, but who wants to see Obama in a mason jar full of piss? And sold for charity at that?

Michael

Here is Glenn in an interview of about 15 minutes with Michael D’Antuono, the artist who did the Obama painting called "Truth" where Obama is wearing a crown of thorns and in a position insinuating crucifixion.

D’Antuono ended the interview saying, "You are a very reasonable man. I'm shocked!"

And he was serious, not patronizing.

Michael

Carol,

Let me chide you a little.

You complained about the gag reflex with Glenn Beck's publicity stunt, but you did not mention the famous Piss Christ or the Virgin Mary splattered in elephant dung. Don't forget, these came waaaaaaaay before Glenn did his thing. In fact, they were his inspiration.

An indiscriminating reader might get the idea that you find Piss Christ OK enough to give it a pass (i.e., as the Catholics say, sin by omission :smile: ), but Glenn causes you to drag out your gag reflex in public.

That hints there might be other values at stake than simple repugnance at bathroom humor.

After all, Jesus can take care of himself, but who wants to see Obama in a mason jar full of piss? And sold for charity at that?

:smile:

Michael

You don't get my point - it wasn't about who was satirizing what, but about ME. I didn't comment on your above examples because I never saw them at the time, and knowing what they were about wouldn't make me want to look them up. You know damn well I believe in unrestricted free speech, even if it makes me throw up.

I don't feel any obligation to support any cause by pretending that I find the way it is supported by others funny, when it, the way it's supported, makes me feel sick. And same goes for the reverse. If Bill Maher had done the same thing with a Romney doll I would have written the exact same post. You may think I am being self-deluding here, and maybe so. How would I know if I were?

You are welcome to chide me anytime Michael, you know that. But this time you are off the mark.

My first post was a jokey reaction to your topic title only. I never clicked on the video because the keywords repelled me. For the record now that I have been acquainted with them, I don't like them and I don't want to know anymore about them. My queasiness doesn't debate the relative merits of those who provoke it. I don't read watch or read about urinary stuff if I can avoid it, but as I had already elicited a response from you in my banter, I could hardly avoid it here.

Once again, Michael, you might think it is about....

(continued in #15)

...Glenn Beck giving what's good for the goose to the gander, and giving it good.More power to him. I just wish he, and everybody else on every part of the political spectrum, wouldn't do it with the dung and urine. It's all about me. ME!!

Of course I'm biased, as is everyone and we often discuss. I've hardly made a secret of my own bias. And I often omit to comment on things, due to my bias. But I also know that I omitted to comment in this particular case, not due to bias against Glenn Beck, but for the reasons I stated only.

Regarding Michael D’Antuono, I've never met an artist who was as hesitant, for lack of a better word, about his art, than this guy. Perhaps he felt intimidated. It was strange and uncomfortable to watch him. All the artists I know will shout from the rooftops exactly what they meant and felt during the creation of their work, no matter who it may offend. My impression is that this guy doesn't believe in his message as much as he thinks he does.

All the artists I know will shout from the rooftops exactly what they meant and felt during the creation of their work, no matter who it may offend.

That is really interesting. I don't know any artists except the ones I have met here on OL, but of course, people in general love to talk about their work. Maybe this guy is the minority, who doesn't like to analyse his own process or think too much about it..."Geez, I was just painting, you know...you don't suppose I think about this stuff, do you? I just paint it/write it down etc." I know there are some writers like this.

I didn't see the video, I am only commenting on your post.

Michael, I am going to carry on a little here,on the general topic of propaganda and polemics, because I am feeling touchy about stuff.

Glenn Beck is a polemicist and a propagandist. Those are neutral terms to me, job descriptions. Ayn Rand was certainly both , as was Abraham Lincoln whom I revere with reservations,(it was a part-job for him )as is Pamela Geller whom I loathe without reservations, as was Christopher Hitchens and so on,Of certain OL members in this line I will not speak.

I just think sometimes, that because a person does a job well, it gives him a glow of moral achievement amongst Objectivists, in areas where he may not deserve them.

I just cannot back down on this. Glenn is a fine polemicist and propagandist. But he is a rotten art critic,

Are we now in the domain of wee-wee and ka-ka editorial comment?

God damn! It is base.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Are we now in the domain of wee-wee and ka-ka editorial comment?

God damn! It is base.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I agree, with all my gullet.

Editorial commentators everywhere, please, if you want to show how low you can go, spare us the yuck and learn the Limbo.

My impression is that this guy doesn't believe in his message as much as he thinks he does.

Deanna,

You pegged him correctly. I've known a bazillion of artists like that, except in music (I used to be a record producer).

I believe D’Antuono has his progressive bias because of the feedback he gets from his echo-chamber clique. And he gets some progressive media feedback because cashes in on borrowed fame from celebrity targets by making art works about them. There's nothing wrong with that inherently--in fact it's a great marketing technique, even if you only do it like does, i.e., like an attack dog.

But he confounds himself when he is out of his clique. For instance, look at the "balanced" thing. He made a work against Fox News and made a snarky comment about doing it for "balance." This is supposed to mock Fox's catchphrase, "Fair and balanced." I can imagine all the back-patting he got in his clique for being spot on. Mutual smirk bonding.

But when Glenn asked him if he saw the same balance problems in MSNBC that he sees in Fox, with only the left orientation being different, he agreed. He almost had to because of his very words. Then Glenn said that he should make a work against MSNBC and place it side-by-side his work against Fox. That would be "balanced" for real.

He looked amazed as he agreed.

I don't think D’Antuono is a bad guy. I think he just wants a little attention and fan worship--like all pop artists do. But as a serious artist, he's like a little kid who put on his father's house-shoes. Those shoes will not make him a man. He has some growing to do first.

D’Antuono's approach works well for him in a closed environment like his clique, but he's not the genius his clique tells him he is, and he has not thought through the things he thinks he has.

I used to have a phrase for the kind of stuff I saw him utter. I saw much the same things in the long line of pop artists I had to evaluate and work with. They look for a phrase that sounds deep, is vague enough for multiple interpretations, and can be used as a hook. This can become something good if it is wedded to a passionate big-picture vision, but mostly with these people, the tagline becomes the philosophy and they start believing in their own bullshit.

I used to call that "cheap profundity."

(Actually, I still do. although it's been a long time.)

I imagine D’Antuono's clique will now crap all over him as the left-wing media vultures start up, probably bashing him for selling out, and he will do some serious soul-searching. Added to that, he now has exposure to Glenn's audience--and don't forget he was treated with respect as an artist in front of them nationwide by the big dog himself. I know that is tickling and poking at his inner pop-star's craving for attention.

I don't expect a complete turnabout, but want to make a prediction about his future?

Michael

D’Antuono's approach works well for him in a closed environment like his clique, but he's not the genius his clique tells him he is, and he has not thought through the things he thinks he has.

I used to have a phrase for the kind of stuff I saw him utter. I saw much the same things in the long line of pop artists I had to evaluate and work with. They look for a phrase that sounds deep, is vague enough for multiple interpretations, and can be used as a hook. This can become something good if it is wedded to a passionate big-picture vision, but mostly with these people, the tagline becomes the philosophy and they start believing in their own bullshit.

I used to call that "cheap profundity."

Yeah, the "message" of his art is, "I'm deep because I paint images that make reference to current political events and controversies. I'm the Thinking Man's Artist™. Please judge me to be a very intellectual painter!"

His work is just too shallow and clichéd, not to mention visually rather artless, for anyone to buy into his branding efforts.

J

All the artists I know will shout from the rooftops exactly what they meant and felt during the creation of their work, no matter who it may offend.

That is really interesting. I don't know any artists except the ones I have met here on OL, but of course, people in general love to talk about their work. Maybe this guy is the minority, who doesn't like to analyse his own process or think too much about it..."Geez, I was just painting, you know...you don't suppose I think about this stuff, do you? I just paint it/write it down etc." I know there are some writers like this.

I live in a culturally rich area. There are artists everywhere, and some of them don't even know it. Anyway, I have met people on Bourbon Street who hustle tourists out of dollar bills using really bad jokes who felt the conviction of their art more than that guy.

Hey, you are a girl! Are you new? Welcome to OL!

Yes, I am a girl! How nice to see someone so excited about it. I wish my last date had shown such enthusiasm.

I just cannot back down on this. Glenn is a fine polemicist and propagandist. But he is a rotten art critic,

I think that was his point. He's poking fun at the fact that he doesn't really "get" art, that he has no understanding of it and can't really appreciate its depth or historicity. He is demonstrating that he is a neanderthal about art. In so doing, he is celebrating his right to respond to it as such and acknowledging that every other person has an equal right to respond to art in whatever way moves them.