Call for talks for Atlanta Objectist Society conference (ATLOSCon 2011)

Aaron

ATLOSCon 2011 planning has begun! This year, our Atlanta Objectivist Society’s summer conference will be held on Memorial Day weekend, May 26-30, 2011, and we are currently accepting proposals for talks. The talks should be an hour in length (we might make a few exceptions, if you can prove that you are super fascinating for longer than that), and they should be of general interest to an Objectivist audience, though they need not be about Objectivism itself. In order to give a talk, please send a paragraph describing your talk to kellyelmore79@gmail.com by Feb 1. Our committee will choose the talks, and only if your talk is chosen will you need to send in more detailed info about your talk.

Please know that you need not be an expert on your topic. Many of our speakers last year were laymen with a strong passion for their subject, and they were fabulous talks. Here is a list of topics to give you an idea of the kinds of things that we are looking for, but please don’t limit yourselves to these. Talk about anything you are passionate about!

Any topic for beginner Oists from any branch of philosophy or any application

More advanced philosophical talks from metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, or art

Science talks

Art or Literature talks

Atheism

Benevolent Universe Premise

A Talk about an Ayn Rand essay

Lead a Discussion about: Politics, Personal Experiences in Oism, activism, economics, etc.

Dealing with Family Rationally

Cooking or Nutrition

Exercise/Crossfit

Free Market Alternatives to Government Services

Lead a Discussion of an article

Goal Setting/GTD/Productivity

Parenting/Education

Atlas Shrugged presentation or discussion

Talk about your Career

Psychology

Financial Planning

You get the idea; go wild with creativity! Our speakers will not be paid, but they may be able to attend the conference for free, if ATLOSCon generates enough income. Mostly you will be paid in fun and fame!

• 2 months later...

Congratulations, Aaron and Jenn and other organizers on your 2011 presentations!

I was just about to post saying class schedule and registration was up. Thanks for beating it to me here!

Aaron

Congratulations, Aaron and Jenn and other organizers on your 2011 presentations!

I was just about to post saying class schedule and registration was up. Thanks for beating it to me here!

Aaron

Yes. And your choice of keynote speaker: :o:huh:

Building on this choice, perhaps former Governor and erstwhile GOP Presidential hopeful, Mark Sanford, could be considered for your next keynote speaker. He also is an enthusiast for Atlas Shrugged (see his guest column in Newsweek a few years ago - which the editors were only too happy to provide). And he could give a talk on integrity and duplicity. Ms. Hsieh could provide commentary and/or introduce him.

Edited by Jerry Biggers

I do not know Diana Hsieh well, having just met her recently at SnowCon, though I like what I've seen and like her work on projects like OLists. I understand that - like many Objectivists - she has been involved in various scuffles and has her opponents. I have no interest or time for arguing about anyone's personal values or faults, but do hope that if any potential attendees are not a fan of a particular speaker, they do not let it turn them off from the whole conference and all the other great sessions and events. (Sometimes I fear every Objectivist gathering will be empty otherwise)