Welcome to the Horror File Cabinet

Welcome to the Horror File Cabinet

As many know, The Objectivist Newsletter and The Objectivist contained a "Horror File" where Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden published horrors they came across in the culture using Objectivism as a standard.

Without any pretension of being a formal extension of it, but with full intention of modeling the idea, welcome to OL's Horror File Cabinet.

The very first attempt at this on OL was the thread: Horror File of Objectivist Living. But there is a problem--one that is inherent to forums. People discuss what is posted. This means if readers want to see a list of the horrors, they sometimes have to wade through long discussions between one and the next.

By opening up a new section, each horror can now have its own thread.

Enjoy, but please do me and the OL community a favor. This is not the Rant section. If you are just sounding off, please put your rant where rants go to live forever. :)

The qualification for a Horror is that an evil philosophical principle is manifest in the item from the culture that is discussed in thread.

I know there will be drift at times, so there is no way to enforce this strictly, but lets give it a try.

Thanks and let 'er rip.

Michael

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll be the first to post here.

Crime pays well, for the long term too:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/jane-ann-morrison/crooked-judge-heads-straight-public-retirement-pension

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Now here is a perfect example of real horror...

Internal Revenue Service Commissioner John Koskinen warned that close to half the people trying to reach the IRS by phone might not get through during the upcoming 2015 tax filing season. “Phone service could plummet to 53%,” he told an audience of tax practitioners at the AICPA National Tax Conference in Washington, D.C. today. That would be down from an already unacceptable 72% during the 2014 filing season. The average hold time projection: 34 minutes! What’s to blame? Budget woes. “All we can do is try to maximize our services as well as we can; as well as we can is still going to be miserable. You really do get what you pay for,” he said. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2014/11/04/irs-commissioner-predicts-miserable-2015-tax-filing-season/

I would take a contract wherein I would receive one tenth of one percent of the money I would save as I put state of the art phone centers that would operate at a 90% success rate, as I eliminated about 30% of their total agency personel.

I am being conservative in that statement.

A...

Now here is a perfect example of real horror...

Internal Revenue Service Commissioner John Koskinen warned that close to half the people trying to reach the IRS by phone might not get through during the upcoming 2015 tax filing season. “Phone service could plummet to 53%,” he told an audience of tax practitioners at the AICPA National Tax Conference in Washington, D.C. today. That would be down from an already unacceptable 72% during the 2014 filing season. The average hold time projection: 34 minutes! What’s to blame? Budget woes. “All we can do is try to maximize our services as well as we can; as well as we can is still going to be miserable. You really do get what you pay for,” he said. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2014/11/04/irs-commissioner-predicts-miserable-2015-tax-filing-season/

I would take a contract wherein I would receive one tenth of one percent of the money I would save as I put state of the art phone centers that would operate at a 90% success rate, as I eliminated about 30% of their total agency personel.

I am being conservative in that statement.

A...

Heck Adam. No one's going to pay for that.

--Brant

If the government implemented a flat tax with no write offs you could knock down the number of government employees at the IRS by 90%..

Correct.

Would certainly shake up the profit centers that attach themselves like pilot fish to that big IRS whale...

accountants

attorneys

H & R Block services

A...

If the government implemented a flat tax with no write offs you could knock down the number of government employees at the IRS by 90%..

Correct.

Would certainly shake up the profit centers that attach themselves like pilot fish to that big IRS whale...

accountants

attorneys

H & R Block services

A...

one could file his tax on a post card.

By the way, with a flat tax we would need a cut off at the lower end. Some people make so little that even a five or ten percent flat tax would starve them or leave the homeless. We will have to agree that for incomes less than some minimum no income tax will be levied.

Correct.

accountants

attorneys

H & R Block services

A...

one could file his tax on a post card.

By the way, with a flat tax we would need a cut off at the lower end. Some people make so little that even a five or ten percent flat tax would starve them or leave the homeless. We will have to agree that for incomes less than some minimum no income tax will be levied.

Nice idea Bob, however we could approach it with a minimum citizenship "flat tax" of ten dollars [$10.00] a month. It does make an important point.

A...

• 3 weeks later...

This pathetic piece of priviledge should do the gene pool a service and have himself irreversably sterilized.

He continued 'And yet, when a reporter asked whether I was surprised that this happened in Georgetown, I immediately answered: "Not at all." It was so clear to me that we live in the most privileged neighborhood within a city [Washington, D.C.] that has historically been, and continues to be, harshly unequal.'

'Who am I to stand from my perch of privilege, surrounded by million-dollar homes and paying for a $60,000 education, to condemn these young men as "thugs?"' he argued. 'It’s precisely this kind of "otherization" that fuels the problem.'

Friedfeld wrote that though there is always the possibility of choice, 'it's a lot easier for me to choose good than it may be for them to.'

He wrote, 'As young people, we need to devote real energy to solving what are collective challenges. Until we do so, we should get comfortable with sporadic muggings and break-ins. I can hardly blame them. The cards are all in our hands, and we’re not playing them.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2849716/Georgetown-University-student-mugged-gunpoint-says-unable-criticize-attackers-perch-privilege.html

A...

What an asshole!!!!

Fox was showing a video today of a protest @ WALMART. One of the protestors interviewed said "Walmart keeps its employees in poverty"

Every time I've been in Walmart I've never noticed their employees in chains.

-J

Fox was showing a video today of a protest @ WALMART. One of the protestors interviewed said "Walmart keeps its employees in poverty"

-J

Anyone who accepts the wage should not complain of the size of the wage. One is not forced to work for Walmart or anyone else.

-J

Anyone who accepts the wage should not complain of the size of the wage. One is not forced to work for Walmart or anyone else.

Exactly.

-J

Exactly.

Were they WalMart workers?

--Brant

On another note the EPA has gone bonkers...

http://www.truthandaction.org/epa-we-can-garnish-wages-without-court-approval/

I figured this belongs in the horror files...

The Juggernaut of the Administrative State is precisely the "soft tyranny" that Mr. T and Mark Levin is referring too.

Generally speaking state and federal government will simply seize your money if they think they've a right to it. Any money you have as an electronic entry associated with your Social Security number can be gone with a snap of the fingers. If you have a safe deposit box your bank will be merely told to deny you access until their access. They will drill it open.

--Brant

Generally speaking state and federal government will simply seize your money if they think they've a right to it. Any money you have as an electronic entry associated with your Social Security number can be gone with a snap of the fingers. If you have a safe deposit box your bank will be merely told to deny you access until their access. They will drill it open.

--Brant

And without notice...

Sewer service is much too popular...

A...

--Brant

The Police Chief of Beloit [sounds like Detroit], population 39,000+, the "Gateway to Wisconsin" and home the Krispi Kurls, which must be why this asshole is their chief.

It one ignorant radio interview, he suggest that the taxpaying citizens of Beloit voluntarily surrender their 4th Amendment rights because:

That’s really what we’re looking for. Maybe we’ll find a toy gun that’s been altered by a youngster in the house — and we know the tragedies that can occur there on occasion,” he added.

Apparently, a create "youngster" should be given a scholarship to MIT for ingenuity. Perhaps he can lower defense by beating toys into assault weapons.

Sounds almost biblical doesn't it?

http://lastresistance.com/8986/wisconsin-police-chief-wants-residents-voluntarily-homes-searched-guns/

A...