Ferguson - The Collision of Two Mentalities

Adam

Sorry to hear you were on your back.

-Joe

J...

It's ok, she did not complain...

I just compressed the left side with bad posture at the computer for too many hours working on two items that had to get done.

The adjustments were just what I needed.

A...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam

-Joe

J...

It's ok, she did not complain...

I just compressed the left side with bad posture at the computer for too many hours working on two items that had to get done.

The adjustments were just what I needed.

A...

Adam

-Joe

Adam "J...It's ok, she did not complain..."

lol.

• 1 month later...

Another article on Soros and Ferguson in the Daily Mail of yesterday:

Billionaire George Soros spent $33MILLION bankrolling Ferguson demonstrators to create 'echo chamber' and drive national protests

I don't expect the left-wing press here in the USA to come down on Soros since he funds a lot of it, but England is still smarting over what he did when he almost wrecked pound in speculations. I expect the English press to start hammering at this story and keep hammering until the press in the USA can't ignore it.

At least I hope that happens. :)

Michael

My, my...

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has begun work on a legal memo recommending no civil rights charges against a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., who killed an unarmed black teenager in August, law enforcement officials said.

That would close the politically charged case in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown. The investigation by the F.B.I., which is complete, found no evidence to support civil rights charges against the officer, Darren Wilson, the officials said.

The minute the INK drys on that memo...I would be suing Sharpton, Holder [with permission of the government of course], Governor Nixon [with the State of Missouri's permission], every media outlet deliberately slandered/libeled the officer and endangered his family, and defendant's to be named later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us/justice-department-ferguson-civil-rights-darren-wilson.html

"Many people forget how much they are a product of mathematical and physical laws. When we focus and study each breath, movement, and action we make, we can understand that every action a human takes conforms to nature's laws.

Instead of struggling against the inevitable, Tai Chi suggests that we study how the Universe behaves and use it to our own advantage.

Tai Chi is a mixture of art forms such as dance, martial arts, and meditation.

Tai Chi requires more than simple throws and absorbing or dealing hits to attain victory. Tai Chi art requires more than strength flexibility, or any combination of simple physical characteristics. It requires an understanding of geometry, space, and the physical laws that govern their physical interactions."

An early John Galt?

Chang the Hermit

Legend tells us that the founding father of Tai Chi lived around the late 13th century and early 14th century. He left his position as a government official to live the life of a wanderer and a hermit in the mountains. Travelling from place to place he learnt techniques of meditation and martial arts under various Taoists.

Until this time, most martial arts systems used great force, effort and muscular strength. Chang San-feng was dissatisfied with how these systems related to the principles and philosophies of his Taoist practices.

One day, he was witness to a snake and a crane in combat with each other. He watched as the crane swooped down from a tree with its wings fully spread, the snake hissed a challenge which the crane took up by using its sharp pointed beak to initiate an attack. The snake used its deceptive coiling movements to evade the danger and responded by lashing at the crane with its tail. The crane lifted its leg to avoid the strike and then used its claws to attack. Again the snake evaded this by twisting and turning, whilst instinctively countering with its mouth. The crane curled its neck to escape the venom and beat its huge wings to force the snake away.

Galt's Gulch?

Eventually, after tiring themselves out, the two combatants called a draw, the snake slithered away and the crane returned to its tree perch.

Mesmerised and exhilarated by this contest – Chang realised that he had been witnessing a perfect exhibition of the I Ching principles of adapting to change and the ability to blend soft and hard, strength and yielding. The continuity and flow of the circular movements seemed in accord with his Taoist observations of nature.

He studied the crane and the snake as well as other wild animals, the movement of water, winds and clouds, the nature of bamboo and trees. These natural movements and feelings were gradually embraced and incorporated into his new system.

Chang San-feng lived in the Wu Tang Mountains and it was here that he taught several disciples. Today we see remnants of this story in the Tai Chi movements of ‘White Crane Spreading its Wings’ and in ‘Snake Creeps Down’.

The crane and the snake are two creatures that are rich in symbolism. Before considering their dual significance within the context of this story, we should look at each of them individually.

It looks slow but if you speed it up it can be a devastating long arm fighting system.

I found it to be a nice fit for me.

Certainly keeps me very flexible.

A...

taught me to avoid being at the point of force and how to walk away

It looks slow but if you speed it up it can be a devastating long arm fighting system.

A...

Like Aikido, fighting by not fighting. I spent 2 1/2 years studying Aikido, I like the techniques but the arrogance of even the middle level students was irritating. The martial art I am most familiar with, Kajukenbo has some similarities to Tai Chi in that it is continuous movement, constant adaptation. A block is a strike, a strike is a block. But I don't think Tai Chi has a form called "Dance of Death". But basically we fought a lot. You don't learn how another person moves when he's trying to hurt you without practice. Pain is the great teacher.

I posted the link to the Jeet Kune Do page for the irony of renaming one of Bruce Lee's five angles of attack, "misdirection" to "Progressive Indirect Attack", which Ferguson is an example. "Look! Squirrel!"

A...

Like Aikido, fighting by not fighting. I spent 2 1/2 years studying Aikido, I like the techniques but the arrogance of even the middle level students was irritating. The martial art I am most familiar with, Kajukenbo has some similarities to Tai Chi in that it is continuous movement, constant adaptation. A block is a strike, a strike is a block. But I don't think Tai Chi has a form called "Dance of Death". But basically we fought a lot. You don't learn how another person moves when he's trying to hurt you without practice. Pain is the great teacher.

I posted the link to the Jeet Kune Do page for the irony of renaming one of Bruce Lee's five angles of attack, "misdirection" to "Progressive Indirect Attack", which Ferguson is an example. "Look! Squirrel!"

Oh, I got it. It was an excellent comparison, or, whatever the trope is.

A...

A...

A...

Thanks. Had to look up trope.

Mike

[ignoramus]

A...

Thanks. Had to look up trope.

Mike

[ignoramus]

LOL - that is why I refer to OL as ongoing learning...

TROPES -- Tropes are figures of speech with an unexpected twist in the meaning of words, as opposed to schemes, which only deal with patterns of words.*

* The examples below come from multiple sources. The first is an informal compilation given to me by Dr. Jerri Williams of West Texas State University. The second source is a wonderful collection: Figures of Speech by Arthur Quinn (I highly recommend acquiring a copy if you are serious about becoming a master rhetor). A few other examples originate in my students' past papers. For extended examples and discussion, see Arthur Quinn's Figures of Speech: 60 Ways to Turn a Phrase, or J. A. Cuddon's Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory, or Richard A. Lanham's A Handlist of Rhetorical Terms, 2nd edition.

Metaphor -- when something is something else: the ladder of success (i.e, success is a ladder).

"Carthage was a beehive of buzzing workers." Or, "This is your brain on drugs."

Simile -- when something is like something else:

"Her skin was like alabaster." "He was as unpleasant as a veneral disease."

Click here for discussion of epic similes.

Metonymy -- using a vaguely suggestive, physical object to embody a more general idea: CROWN for royalty; the PEN is mightier than the SWORD. "If we cannot strike offenders in the heart, let us strike them in the wallet." We use metonymy in everyday speech when we refer to the entire movie-making industry as a mere suburb of L.A., "Hollywood," or when we refer to the collective decisions of the United States government as "Washington," or the "White House."

Synecdoche -- using a part of a physical object to represent the whole object: "Twenty eyes watched our every move" (i.e., ten people watched our every move). "A hungry stomach has no ears" (La Fontaine).

Puns -- A pun twists the meaning of words. Homonymic Puns -- "Johnny B. Good" is a pun for "Johnny be good." Sound similarities -- "Casting perils before swains" (instead of "pearls before swine").

Zeugma -- one verb using different objects. If this changes the verb's intial meaning, the zeugma is sometimes called syllepsis:

"If we don't hang together, we shall hang separately" (Ben Franklin).

"The queen of England sometimes takes advice in that chamber, and sometimes tea."

". . . losing her heart or her necklace at the ball" (Alexander Pope).

"She exhausted both her audience and her repertoire."

Personification -- giving human qualities to inanimate objects: "The ground thirsts for rain; the wind whispered secrets to us."

Prosopopoeia is a form of personification in which an inanimate object gains the ability to speak. For instance, in the Anglo-Saxon poem, "The Dream of the Rood," the wooden cross verbally describes the death of Christ from its own point of view. Ecocritical writers might describe clearcutting from the viewpoint of the tree, and so on.

Apostrophe -- (not to be confused with the punctuation mark): addressing someone or some abstraction that is not physically present: "Oh, Death, be not proud" (John Donne). "Ah, Mr. Newton, you would be pleased to see how far we have progressed in physics."

Erotema -- asking a rhetorical question to the reader: "What should honest citizens do?"

Onomatapoeia -- echoic words or words that create an auditory effective similar to the sound they represent: Buzz; Click; Rattle; Clatter; Squish; Grunt.

Hyperbole -- exaggeration: "His thundering shout could split rocks." Or, "Yo' mama's so fat. . . ."

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/tropes.html

Now this is going to be worth hearing and the visuals of this grotesque figure might be classic.

Sources have indicated that Sharpton, who is an informal adviser to both President Obama and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, has asked Oxford for an opportunity to speak but not debate the counter argument. “He wants to control the event, because he won’t debate the facts and the real issues including how his own conduct impacts race relations in the U.S.,” stated Webb. “He doesn’t want to be exposed for what he really is – a shakedown artist and racial coward. After years of conning people into giving him money by fanning the flames of racism, he’s just too afraid to have a civil, fact-based conversation about the issues of race in America.”

The tax dodger dodges formal debate on Resolved that " This House Believes The United States is Institutionally Racist."

https://www.oxford-union.org/term_events/us_racism_debate <<<<link to debate data

Oxford will allow Sharpton to speak for 20 minutes before the debate but will also have to answer questions from the audience, Webb, Hicks, and Wolf. The Oxford union, to its credit, is attempting to keep its history of fair debate intact. Webb was assured by the Oxford Union president Lisa Wehden that the opposing side will have an opportunity to ask questions of the Sharpton following his structured remarks. “It would be wrong to allow Sharpton to get away with just his usual thin, inflammatory rhetoric when this is supposed to be a substantive discussion,” said Webb.

Key is the definition of "racist."

Also, do not allow this repulsive piece of pond scum any opportunity to elaborate on a question.

Yes or no and staccato pace. A good cross examiner should destroy this whore.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/01/21/al-sharpton-dodges-racism-debate-at-oxford-union-will-deliver-prepared-speech/

A...

Adam,

Hmmmm...

So all those fingers tapping on OL are nothing more than a mere synecdoche.

Now I understand...

:smile:

Michael

When I was being taught this by a brilliant Aristotelian scholar who sucked as a graduate professor, it was like being forced to lay on a bed of nails...

However, he was a wonderful person and he knew his stuff.

Just learning to pronounce all these was a task...

They do stretch your mind and language skills though.

A...

Don't we already know from Eric Holder that it's impossible for a 'person of color' to be a racist or to discriminate? Racist = white person, thus racism will exist until Caucasians are all deceased. What's to debate? Pay your reparations and kindly drop dead, thank you very much.

"Synecdoche"?? That's a real mother.

Don't we already know from Eric Holder that it's impossible for a 'person of color' to be a racist or to discriminate? Racist = white person, thus racism will exist until Caucasians are all deceased. What's to debate? Pay your reparations and kindly drop dead, thank you very much.

"Synecdoche"?? That's a real mother.

Actually, the Chief Law Enforcement Agent in the country who heads the Injustice Department [kudos to Mark Levin for that nickname] made a reference to having the power to do something about oppressing a person of color.

It was the Philadelphia Black Panthers who were outside the polling place in, I believe the 2008 Presidential. They "engaged people" outside the polling place and "brandished" implements of wood and metal in their hands.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203550604574361071968458430 <<decent article on the incident...

A...