What would a conventional doctor do?

jts

Why is it so hard to understand that the reason why he was not digesting was abuse of the digestive system? And why is it so hard to understand that taking a break from food restores the digestive system? And why do you argue against success? And why do you equate fasting with starving?

"abuse" is a moral judgement, not a scientific/medical/biological description of the problem. Using "abuse" loosely will take you down the road to crackpot Dysfunctions have chemical physical causes. One of the things a well trained and equipped doctor can do is determine the cause. If one knows the cause he is on his way to formulating a treatment or cure.

Abuse of the digestive system means just that. Let it be moral. Whatever. It is a choice.

Any violation of any of these rules is abuse of the digestive system.

* Do not eat more than than you can digest.

* Do not eat anything you can't digest well. (Perhaps beans.)

* Do not put anything in your food that impairs digestion. (Some spices might do that.)

* Do not eat food too cold.

* Do not eat 2 foods in the same meal that have conflicting processes of digestion.

* Do not eat at a time of physical or emotional stress that impairs digestion.

* Do not eat when you are too sick to digest.

* Do not eat unless you are hungry. (Shelton)

(I'm probably forgetting a few.)

Shelton identified the cause and the remedy. Give the gut a rest and teach him how to live. The problem goes away and stays gone. What do you find wrong with that?

Abuse is a perfectly correct word. If it's not in the vocabulary of most doctors, too bad for them.

and if after taking all these precautions you still are not digesting, then what? A doctor will have to do a toxology and bacterial workup and an x-ray of the g.i. tract to see if anything is amiss.

Prevention is fine but it does not always work.

Ba'al Chatzaf

and if after taking all these precautions you still are not digesting, then what? A doctor will have to do a toxology and bacterial workup and an x-ray of the g.i. tract to see if anything is amiss.

Prevention is fine but it does not always work.

Ba'al Chatzaf

If anything is amiss, it is because it wasn't prevented.

Most people and most doctors seem to look upon diseases as mostly just given, as not caused. Like they just happen, for no reason. So most doctors mostly don't think in terms of causes. A doctor told me: "We are not good at causes." Another doctor told me finding causes is not his job. From what I know about doctors, they do tests to find symptoms, followed by diagnosis, followed by treatment, which usually means cut, poison burn. No effort to find causes. (Obviously some doctors are exceptions.)

From the discussion in this thread, it seems when doctors do look for causes (of something as simple as not digesting), they usually look for something rare and mysterious and complicated, and the treatment is heroic and usually is a poison. It can't be simple and common sense.

Setting aside something crazy like ruining the gut permanently by drinking sulphuric acid or eating glass, I doubt you can find a case of bad digestion that happened in real life that couldn't be corrected by giving it a rest followed by correct living. If such a case exists, I suspect it is rare. Even Jack Goldstein's colitis was remedied by a 42 day fast.

Abuse of the digestive system means just that. Let it be moral. Whatever. It is a choice.

Define "abuse" in physical and chemical terms. Please keep in mind that we are large ugly bags of mostly water with a few other chemical trace elements thrown in the mix. We are made of cells which are made of molecules. Every last little bit of us is chemical and physical.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Define "abuse" in physical and chemical terms. Please keep in mind that we are large ugly bags of mostly water with a few other chemical trace elements thrown in the mix. We are made of cells which are made of molecules. Every last little bit of us is chemical and physical.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I'm not ugly.

--Brant

looking for sex

By now you all probably can guess who the following quote is from:

A young man once visited me who complained of headaches, catarrh of the stomach, and nose and throat, hyperacidity of the stomach, constipation and nervousness. He was extremely ravenous, but could digest nothing he ate. A few days before coming to see me he had arrived home from work with an almost irresistible desire for food. He ate a hearty supper and started for the Y.M.C.A., where he was to play in a basketball game. About six blocks from his home he suddenly became dizzy; everything became black and he fainted. This was followed by vomiting, which brought up not only his supper, but food he had consumed at noon the day before. It had not been digested.

Before I continue, I will ask a question. What would a conventional doctor do?

Probably drugs. Drugs would not solve the problem and would add problems.

||

||

||

||

||

V

Scroll down to see the rest of the quote:

||

||

||

||

||

||

V

I placed this man on a short fast, then taught him how to live, with the result that his catarrh, hyperacidity, indigestion, constipation, headache, nervousness and morbid appetite all ended.

It was that simple and that easy.

Here is an article you might find useful:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=hermits-and-cranks-lesson

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ah...see now that it is official that our Northern Lost Tribes of Canadian Families are worth $40,000.00 more than the American family ....

she reappears!!!!

Welcome back lady!

She rises again. in the faces of her children

She rises again, in the voices of her so-o-ong-

She rises again in the waves out on the ocean

and in a grungy internet cafe cum bike shop (but soon to better herself!)

Apologies to the Barra MacNeills and thanks to Adam.

* Do not eat 2 foods in the same meal that have conflicting processes of digestion.

Can you give an example for illustration? (I suppose it goes in the direction of the 'Don't combine carbohydrates with proteins' theory).

But what "conflicting processes of digestion" can there exist? Isn't all food that arrives in the stomach 'broken up' by acid first?

Can you give an example for illustration? (I suppose it goes in the direction of the 'Don't combine carbohydrates with proteins' theory).

But what "conflicting processes of digestion" can there exist? Isn't all food that arrives in the stomach 'broken up' by acid first?

Read Shelton's little book "Food Combining Made Simple". Many years ago I read this book and then broke as many rules as I could in one meal. That experience was enough to make a believer out of me.

http://jtstory.onlinewebshop.net/projects-javascript/fcr.html

Fixed a bug. 'class' is a reserve word. Now it works.

Jts,

I googled a bit and it says that Shelton was a raw food advocate. You only eat raw food too?

Don't believe everything on the internet. Shelton was not that strict. I eat mostly raw. Who cares?

Jts,

I googled a bit and it says that Shelton was a raw food advocate. You only eat raw food too?

Don't believe everything on the internet. Shelton was not that strict. I eat mostly raw. Who cares?

You obviously do care since you have opebned an extra thread on nutrition advocated by Shelton.

Thanks for the link you gave in post # 34 btw. I too am very interested nutrition and have forever been experimenting with it since my teenage years, collected countless articles, bought many books on the topic, etc.

But I have never stuck to any specific nutrition plan, like following exclusively the nutritionall advice of doctor X or nutrition guru Y.

Rather I let me get inspired, pick and choose some called 'top foods' food high in nutitritional value (like e. g. wheat germ) which I add to my diet.

Re raw food: I could never eat mostly raw because I love warm meals too much. Just thinking of a hot steaming noodle soup with lots of chives makes me salivate. No raw food could replace the feeling of savory pleasure these types of soups give me! :smile:

Jts,

You obviously do care since you have opebned an extra thread on nutrition advocated by Shelton.

I don't care about raw vs cooked. You are the one who brought up the subject of raw vs cooked.

Thanks for the link you gave in post # 34 btw. I too am very interested nutrition and have forever been experimenting with it since my teenage years, collected countless articles, bought many books on the topic, etc.

But I have never stuck to any specific nutrition plan, like following exclusively the nutritionall advice of doctor X or nutrition guru Y.

I don't follow authorities or gurus. I go by my own knowledge and understanding. I don't take orders from doctors. I give orders to doctors. I tell them to go to hell.

==== An Informal Unscientific Experiment ====

I will tell you a little story. In the 1980s, a long time ago, I made a program to design diets. The purpose was to design a 'nutritionally perfect' diet. By 'nutritionally perfect' I meant no excesses and no deficiencies of any of some dozens of nutrients. Each nutrient had to be within a range from minimum to maximum. For most nutrients the range between min and max was large. For a few it was small. The smallest range between min and max was calories.

I made this program and I figured I should test it. So to test the program, each day I ate a nutritionally perfect diet (or as close as possible). Each day was a different diet, but each day was some approximation of nutritionally perfect (no excesses and no deficiencies). I followed a few additional rules. I avoided bad food combinations. Digestion is a very important part of the nutrition process. To gain maximum nutritional value from foods, they must be well digested, so no bad combinations that might impair digestion. I ate everything raw, nothing cooked. In those days (decades ago) I was a raw-fooder; I'm not now. I used no condiments, might impair digestion. I spaced meals far enough apart that each meal was digested before the next meal began. I had a rule to be at least slightly hungry before eating; hunger enhances digestion; nutrition requires digestion. I got lots of sleep; sleep is important for health. I got some sunshine each day. I followed all the health rules except one; I didn't get any physical activity.

All my life I was dragging my ass. I was the only kid in school who hated phys ed. All my life I had an aversion to every form of physical activity. I followed all the rules of health in this experiment except that one.

This continued each day for maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Each day a different nutritionally perfect diet and all the other stuff, and no physical activity except a little walking (which doesn't count). Each nutrient was each day within the range between min and max. Most of them were well above the min.

One day I went for a walk. It was a nice summer day. Walking did not seem vigorous enough. I broke into a run. To my surprise I did not fatigue. Normally I would fatigue very quickly and I wouldn't feel like running. I decided to find out how much running I needed to do to fatigue. After a while I did fatigue but after about 5 minutes of rest I wanted to run again. So the question was how much running did I need to do (with 5 minute rests) to get fatigued in a lasting way? It seemed I could last all day (with the 5 minute rests). The answer was not forthcoming. It seemed I was not getting fatigued in a lasting way.

Then the cops stopped me. They asked me if I was on drugs. The policeman said: if you want to run, go run in the park.

I probably would have done that if the run had been planned.

I don't care about raw vs cooked. You are the one who brought up the subject of raw vs cooked.

I brought it up because there exist several websites which connect Shelton to the raw food movement.

One day I went for a walk. It was a nice summer day. Walking did not seem vigorous enough. I broke into a run. To my surprise I did not fatigue. Normally I would fatigue very quickly and I wouldn't feel like running. I decided to find out how much running I needed to do to fatigue. After a while I did fatigue but after about 5 minutes of rest I wanted to run again. So the question was how much running did I need to do (with 5 minute rests) to get fatigued in a lasting way? It seemed I could last all day (with the 5 minute rests). The answer was not forthcoming. It seemed I was not getting fatigued in a lasting way

Then the cops stopped me. They asked me if I was on drugs..

Could it be that you had so-called 'Runner's High', caused by endorpine release during prolonged exercise?

http://sportsmedicin...unners-High.htm

I brought it up because there exist several websites which connect Shelton to the raw food movement.

One day I went for a walk. It was a nice summer day. Walking did not seem vigorous enough. I broke into a run. To my surprise I did not fatigue. Normally I would fatigue very quickly and I wouldn't feel like running. I decided to find out how much running I needed to do to fatigue. After a while I did fatigue but after about 5 minutes of rest I wanted to run again. So the question was how much running did I need to do (with 5 minute rests) to get fatigued in a lasting way? It seemed I could last all day (with the 5 minute rests). The answer was not forthcoming. It seemed I was not getting fatigued in a lasting way

Could it be that you had so-called 'Runner's High', caused by endorpine release during prolonged exercise?

You believe the series of nutritionally perfect diets had nothing to do with my ability to run which I previously did not have.

I believe you are overestimating your running performance on that day. You are describing a well known method for covering a lot of ground, repeated jogging with walking recovery, as long as needed. To really judge your performance on that day and whether or not it was remarkable in any way you need numbers, how far?, how fast? etc. Everyone who can walk is capable of an easy jog assuming no preexisting injuries or defects.

Raw vs cooked: you can cook the raw to make it cooked, but you can't cook the cooked to make it raw. Therefore raw is always at a competitive disadvantage living in fear of being cooked. Cooked rules. End of debate.

--Brant

turn up the meat heat!

You believe the series of nutritionally perfect diets had nothing to do with my ability to run which I previously did not have.

l'm not saying that it had no influence, but as Mikee pointed out in post # 42, one would need numbers.

Raw vs cooked: you can cook the raw to make it cooked, but you can't cook the cooked to make it raw. Therefore raw is always at a competitive disadvantage living in fear of being cooked. Cooked rules. End of debate.

Entropy rules. (No matter whether the raw is cooked, or eaten raw, or simply left to decompose).

Entropy rules. (No matter whether the raw is cooked, or eaten raw, or simply left to decompose).

No, no, no. We really don't know that. The opposite may in fact be true. Just engage in worthless thinking for a worthless result and you can get there also.

--Brant