Hello from South Africa

J.S. McGowan

I live in South Africa. And I have beein into objectivism for at least 2 years. Its not an idea that many here are familiar with (especially seeming though the area i live in is predominantly populated by christians)

I go to a christian high school and would be interested in discussing objectivist topic with people my age. :-)

just btw: I have read Atlas Shrugged, Fountain Head, Anthem, the Virtue of Selfishness and at the moment im reading We the Living.

Welcome to OL Jacob:

We have a regular poster here from South Africa named Tony who posts under, wHYNOT.

He is older and comes from Johannesburg. He is a great guy.

What are you studying? I am not that familiar with your school system.

You will find some great folks here to talk with. We have a number of younger folks that are around your age.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, most of us are older.

Adam

hey adam.nice to get a speedy reply :smile: I study history, Business studies and art.

Jacob:

No problem. You are about 7-8 hours later in South Africa correct?

Have you ever read A Very Strange Society, by Alan Drury? http://www.amazon.com/Very-Strange-Society-Journey-Africa/dp/0671781758

A very strange society - TAU SA

TAU SA

03 October 2011

Union asks who'll feed the ANC's supporters, once farmers are given the final knock-out punch

In 1967, American author the late Allen[sic. Alan] Drury wrote "A Very Strange society", a book publicized as a "journey into the heart of South Africa ". Until the day he died, Drury never printed updated editions where simpler explanations for the strangeness he encountered could be relayed to the world. South Africa is indeed strange and the fact that it still works after a fashion is something of a miracle, given the demands upon the few producers and the expectations of the many consumers.

Drury said South Africa was unique - he never quite understood what he confronted. There was no "solution" at the end of his book, and he departed these shores more confused than when he arrived. Forty odd years on, South Africa is more baffling than ever - one element alone worth a magnifying glass is the ANC government's behavior towards the most important component of the country - the commercial farming sector. The very people who are the linchpin of the ANC's power are, paradoxically, the very target of the government's vindictiveness and animosity.

http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71619?oid=259258&sn=Marketingweb+detail

I live in South Africa. And I have beein into objectivism for at least 2 years. Its not an idea that many here are familiar with (especially seeming though the area i live in is predominantly populated by christians)

I go to a christian high school and would be interested in discussing objectivist topic with people my age. :-)

just btw: I have read Atlas Shrugged, Fountain Head, Anthem, the Virtue of Selfishness and at the moment im reading We the Living.

I love listening to folks from South Africa. They have one of my favorite "icksints".

Ba'al Chatzaf

unfortunately chatzaf: im originally from the UK and I only moved down here 4 years ago. I have managed to retain my British "icksint" :-)

Il defenitely have a look for that thread bout south African constitution and Il look into that book adam- thanks.

this is a question iv had on my mind for a long time that i have wanted to be answered by a senior objectivist. In South Africa we have the Reconstruction and Development Program and the Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment policys: these are put in place to redistribute wealth in South Africa. I know they are wrong but when I take into account the sins of apartheid I wonder whether it would go against causality for "all to be forgiven".

My question, for some one willing to put an answer in black and white terms, is whether or not some form of retribution for the racist policies, of the white Nationalist Government, needs to take place in South Africa and whether retribution (of some form or another) is moraly justified?