Smallness of Mind

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This 'splains it well enough. If I may indulge my inner Phil here, I'd like to complain about the laugh track, however. When the character first says the name of the game, there's this big laugh, where there ought to be, if anything, a collective "Huh?". I find this kind of thing annoying. My inner Phil hereby proclaims that it's bad television, and in spite of having little or no knowledge of how these things are decided, I'm blaming the producer and hereby declaring him/her incompetent, with one or two poorly chosen adjectives attached, you decide which. Even worse, my inner Perigo says he/she's a dyslexic empiricist, and probably a Sibelius fan.

Btw, have you read PARC?

You mean the book that spoofs the worst cultist elements of Rand-land? I don't know if "read" is the right word for what I did with it.

You mean the book that spoofs the worst cultist elements of Rand-land? I don't know if "read" is the right word for what I did with it.

My word! Don't tell me that you did with the pages what I think you did with the pages.

Ba'al Chatzaf

> If I may indulge my inner Phil here...My inner Phil hereby proclaims...

You're learning, young grasshopper.

My word! Don't tell me that you did with the pages what I think you did with the pages.

Assuming you’re concerned that I used it for dog droppings, let me assure you that I wouldn’t abuse an animal that way. What do you take me for?

> If I may indulge my inner Phil here...My inner Phil hereby proclaims...

You're learning, young grasshopper.

Oh brother. I gather you’re not styling yourself an ant colony here, but are referring to the old David Carradine Kung Fu character. I’ll take this as license that if I’m ever so unfortunate as to meet you in person, that I may smack you repeatedly with a broomstick. I’ll bring a blindfold so we can play out the scene with an appropriate level of authenticity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo

Subject: Ongoing Mutual Respect Between Me and the Troll

> that I may smack you repeatedly with a broomstick. I’ll bring a blindfolk

You're already one of the true "blindfolk" :cool: around here.

And if we meet under such circumstances, you are much more likely to be the one who is going to get a 'bitch slapping'. My attitude toward you on all intellectual matters is perhaps less David Carradine and more Chuck Norris:

"If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you."

Subject: Ongoing Mutual Respect Between Me and the Troll

Respect? Huh?

Look, call me “young grasshopper”, and there’s liable to be a comeback. At least I got the reference, so have a laugh. Besides, you’re too filthy to be touched by any broomstick of mine. It’s like PARC and the doggie-doo mentioned above.

Which reminds me, in case anyone didn’t get the reference, Pelagius160 is James Valliant’s Wikipedia ID. Whoever this person is on OL with that username is obviously making fun of him. I wonder if he's been banned again lately from making edits.

• 1 month later...

Sense of Life

Part of the entire problem with sense of life is how to change it.

. . .

The Tone Scale

I have already dealt with this above, but here is how I have seen some people implement it for persuading others. They basically wed the Overton Window concept to it.

. . .

By applying the window concept, you first determine where a person is at in a general sense. Since these are merely words for states and not descriptions of how the world looks from that angle, you can get a better overview from the work by Ruth Minshull I mentioned earlier. (Here is a PDF version: How to Choose Your People. You can right click on it and save it to your hard disk.)

. . .

As a fiction writer, this is a great rule-of-thumb guide on how to have characters interact.

And, if you are into self-improvement, you can set up a program for yourself of trying to move up the scale, adapting it as you see fit.

I accidentally came across the following video that gives an excellent explanation of Ruth Minshull's version of the tone scale by a person who says he detests Scientology in general, but likes the tone scale concept.

He mentions two things I left out in my longer post:

1. The standard for the scale is interest in survival. The lower you are on the scale, the less interest you have in surviving. And the more you go up the scale, the more interest you have in surviving.

2. There are 4 broad classifications (Grief, Fear, Hostility, Enthusiasm) that include all the others. And each of these is divided into restrained emotions and expressed emotions. Watch the video and you will understand how this is done.

I don't know how well this system would stand up under empirical testing (I suspect some of it would stand and some would fall), but as a general rule of thumb in the manner the guy in the video did it, I like it. And I like his idea of pegging music to it to improve his moods.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6xDAIRnbOF4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Incidentally, on YouTube in the video comments, even though the guy gave a ton of disclaimers against Scientology, there were still some folks who roasted him, claiming he was promoting the cult.

It's a shame that Scientologists have made such a mess out of things. They hurt a lot of people. This makes it hard to look at an idea like the tone scale because people show up accusing right out of the gate.

But since when has that ever stopped me? I've always had more courage than sense. :smile:

I admit, though, I was gratified to find a kindred soul who was willing to look at the same idea I looked at more or less in the same spirit I did without locking and loading his pistols, placing a chip on his shoulder and daring everyone to knock it off.

Michael

• 1 month later...

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

Not bad, even though as a pilot I know the difference between poetry and truth.

--Brant

Reality may not have a human epistemology, but it does contain the stuff we make distinctions from.

In fact, our very faculty to think exists, so it is part of reality. It's a whole and part thing.

The fact that we have the ability to distinguish between one thing and another, or between attributes and actions, does not deny the existence of them. Reality is bigger than us.

I think, therefore nothing exists.

That's a weird message. It doesn't even work logic-wise.

But some people act as if this were profound.

I doubt you will ever hear them say, I think, therefore sex does not exist.

:)

Michael

Reality may not have a human epistemology, but it does contain the stuff we make distinctions from.

In fact, our very faculty to think exists, so it is part of reality. It's a whole and part thing.

The fact that we have the ability to distinguish between one thing and another, or between attributes and actions, does not deny the existence of them. Reality is bigger than us.

I think, therefore nothing exists.

That's a weird message. It doesn't even work logic-wise.

But some people act as if this were profound.

I doubt you will ever hear them say, I think, therefore sex does not exist.

:smile:

Michael

Brilliant a hole mess of thoughts