Unbelievable -- US Schools, Scientology and Common Core

Unbelievable -- US Schools, Scientology and Common Core

Here is a recent article from TheBlaze about Common Core. It looks like Scientology has finagled its way into both the United Nations and Common Core--at least in New York.

NY’S COMMON CORE-ALIGNED LESSONS USE SCIENTOLOGY VIDEOS TO TEACH STUDENTS THEY HAVE RIGHT TO FOOD, HOUSING, CLOTHING, MEDICINE, EVEN A JOB
Mike Ope
March 30, 2013
TheBlaze

Here's a quick summary. A man was bothered by the fact that his 5th grade child was being taught the U.N.'s Universal Declaration of Human Rights for one hour each day for 8 weeks.

He is an attorney and was concerned because these rights have no legal standing in the USA, so that much time seemed too much. And some of the rights are things like a right to a certain standard of living. In a conversation with the principal, he learned that the principal was not happy with this curriculum (including other things in it), but could do nothing because it was part of Common Core.

As part of the teaching of the UN's Human Rights, the kids watch videos. These videos were produced by the Church of Scientology and posted on the UN's website.

From the article:

The short summary of the story isn’t hard to follow:

• A public school in New York state is teaching an eight-week course in the U.N.’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights while the U.S. Constitution is only taught for three weeks.

• A concerned father says he talked to the local principal who told him he believes the lesson is used widely in other schools.

• Within the assignments for the U.N. study section, students are instructed to watch a video produced by the Church of Scientology and are offered additional short videos about each of the Human Rights. Our source says that his daughter watched “15 or 16 of the 30 videos in classrooms.” All of these videos are also products of Scientology.

In our discussion with the concerned father, we asked if there is a potential legal issue with a church providing educational materials for public schools. In other words, Scientology’s involvement a possible violation of the oft-cited separation of church and state? While he was intrigued by that possibility, he was more concerned over the lesson’s political push.

Those concerns aren’t unfounded. On the same page as the first video we featured is an option to take part in a petition to implement the U.N.’s Declaration of Human Rights.

The attorney’s concern here is that a specific competing political policy (from the U.N.) is being taught in greater detail than the U.S. Constitution. And that students are then being called to action and asked to sign a petition supporting a list of rights that have no legal standing in our country.

Man, this thing gets creepier and creepier...

Michael

EDIT: Incidentally, you can read more about Common Core here on OL: The Common Core of State Mind Control over Children.

• 7 months later...

I f you wanted to see a real life (and I mean as real as it can get!) example of the Atlas Shrugged looter mentality, see this comment by school union boss

http://youtu.be/icHcYNGXvjU?t=27m17s

I f you wanted to see a real life (and I mean as real as it can get!) example of the Atlas Shrugged looter mentality, see this comment by school union boss

http://youtu.be/icHcYNGXvjU?t=27m17s

What really bothers me is that this asshole sounds like he -really- believes it.

Ba'al Chatzaf