Introducing myself

MLM

My name is Marilyn Moore. I just joined Objectivist Living on the recommendation of George H. Smith, my dear friend and partner in life. Recently I have been introducing him to my friends, and he has asked me to meet some of his. For years George has told me about the people involved with OL--about their intelligence, their perspicacity, and their sense of humor. He considers you his friends, and he thinks that I would benefit from your society, as well as have something to contribute. Anyway, I have taken his advice. By way of some personal background, I teach composition at Triton College in River Grove, Illinois. I am an avid gardener and reader and have also co-edited a book with George, Individualism: A Reader, published by Libertarianism.org. George has assured me that no one will attack me for at least a month, and he also told me that it will take at least three months before I get dragged into a pointless flamewar. This should give me plenty of time to adapt to this new environment. MLM

My name is Marilyn Moore. I just joined Objectivist Living on the recommendation of George H. Smith, my dear friend and partner in life. Recently I have been introducing him to my friends, and he has asked me to meet some of his. For years George has told me about the people involved with OL--about their intelligence, their perspicacity, and their sense of humor. He considers you his friends, and he thinks that I would benefit from your society, as well as have something to contribute. Anyway, I have taken his advice. By way of some personal background, I teach composition at Triton College in River Grove, Illinois. I am an avid gardener and reader and have also co-edited a book with George, Individualism: A Reader, published by Libertarianism.org. George has assured me that no one will attack me for at least a month, and he also told me that it will take at least three months before I get dragged into a pointless flamewar. This should give me plenty of time to adapt to this new environment. MLM

George told you wrong!

--Brant

bow, wow, wow, owe!

Marilyn,

I'm glad that you took my advice and joined OL. You will be a welcome addition to this gathering of heretical Objectivists, philosophical mavericks, and social nonconformists. I have belonged to many e-lists and online forums over the past 15 years, and I regard OL as the gold standard for serious intellectuals, writers, and troublemakers.

Note to Michael: What about your standing offer to pay $500 to anyone who can get a woman to join OL? I have done my part, so when do I get paid? :cool::cool::cool:

Ghs

George told you wrong!

--Brant

bow, wow, wow, owe!

It will take a while for Marilyn to understand your sense of humor, but I already warned her about that. 8-)

Ghs

Oh golly gee, George. I don't understand it myself.

--Brant

my Mom (Ruth Brant Gaede) taught composition at Shelby State Community College, guys--since absorbed--in Memphis for about ten years after (finally) getting her degree in Eng. Lit. at the age of 55.

Marilyn,

What an honor!

:smile:

btw - If you didn't bring one, I can loan you an extra chainsaw.

Michael

Michael,

I don't think Marilyn will need a chainsaw. She is an excellent writer, skilled in the art of zingers, and can employ her acid wit, when needed. Marilyn has put me in my place more than once. And if she can back me down, I doubt if she will have a problem with anyone else on this list. 8-)

Ghs

Welcome to OL Marilyn:

I have found this forum to be a constant and continuous way to learn and interact with some fine minds.

You teach composition, so we have a common interest, as I used to teach rhetoric at Queens College in the CUNY system of NY City.

OL is the only forum that I have ever participated in on the internet.

Enjoy your stay.

A...

Post script:

I can use any help with the use of "commas" which I struggle with on a regular basis.

Note to Michael: What about your standing offer to pay $500 to anyone who can get a woman to join OL? I have done my part, so when do I get paid? :cool::cool::cool:

Ghs

George,

I hope you're not expecting American dollars.

:)

btw - The chainsaw reference was an inside joke with myself and I didn't think you would remember.

I would have to look it up to be absolutely sure, but if memory serves me correctly, the very first post you made on OL was in response to Barbara Branden and went something like this: "Geez. One small accident with a chainsaw and they never let you forget."

So Ms. Marilyn teaches writing at, like, a real school and stuff?

Michael

Ghs

George,

I hope you're not expecting American dollars.

btw - The chainsaw reference was an inside joke with myself and I didn't think you would remember.

I would have to look it up to be absolutely sure, but if memory serves me correctly, the very first post you made on OL was in response to Barbara Branden and went something like this: "Geez. One small accident with a chainsaw and they never let you forget."

So Ms. Marilyn teaches writing at, like, a real school and stuff?

Michael

Michael,

Yes, Triton Community College is a real school with real students. Marilyn took me on a tour of the campus not long ago; it is a lovely place.

Marilyn has developed some interesting ideas about how to deal with difficult students, and some of her stories are quite funny. Perhaps someone can persuade her to share her thoughts on this and other matters relating to education.

About my fee: I insist on American dollars. If I am not going to get paid for something, I prefer not to get paid in something that has value. That way, I can dream of the things I won't able to buy.

Ghs

Yes, Triton Community College is a real school with real students. Marilyn took me on a tour of the campus not long ago; it is a lovely place.

Marilyn has developed some interesting ideas about how to deal with difficult students, and some of her stories are quite funny. Perhaps someone can persuade her to share her thoughts on this and other matters relating to education.

George,

Yes, please.

Marilyn, if you can take time off from chainsaw practice, yes please...

About my fee: I insist on American dollars. If I am not going to get paid for something, I prefer not to get paid in something that has value. That way, I can dream of the things I won't able to buy.

B-b-b-b-but you don't vote.

How dare you insist on the script of a country you refuse to vote in?

I have a perfectly good Monopoly game and it comes with all the dollars you will ever need. I can even throw in a tip.

Michael

B-b-b-b-but you don't vote.

How dare you insist on the script of a country you refuse to vote in?

I have a perfectly good Monopoly game and it comes with all the dollars you will ever need. I can even throw in a tip.

Michael

Michael,

Since you won't be paying me, I think I should have the choice of the currency in which I'm not paid. But I would be willing to agree on a gift certificate from Amazon. That way, when I don't get the Amazon credit, I won't be able to buy books that I like. Deal?

I am suggesting this arrangement because Marilyn is very sharp in financial matters, and I want to impress her.

Ghs

Marilyn,

I'm glad that you took my advice and joined OL. You will be a welcome addition to this gathering of heretical Objectivists, philosophical mavericks, and social nonconformists. I have belonged to many e-lists and online forums over the past 15 years, and I regard OL as the gold standard for serious intellectuals, writers, and troublemakers.

Ghs

fresh meat

Marilyn,

Ghs

fresh meat

You meant fresh meet, right?

Marilyn,

Ghs

fresh meat

right

sure

~drool~

Reading these comments makes me wish I had stayed up a little later, but as a composition teacher, I lead by example, which means I have to be awake during the day. Many students don't understand this, and it is an uphill battle. Do I get a share of George's finders fee?

Fresh mete?

Marilyn,

Ghs

fresh meat

Ha. Meat, meet -- neat!

Reading these comments makes me wish I had stayed up a little later, but as a composition teacher, I lead by example, which means I have to be awake during the day. Many students don't understand this, and it is an uphill battle. Do I get a share of George's finders fee?

Fresh mete?

Excellent!

graphics-bookworm-006183.gif

"to give out by measure"

Welcome Marilyn! Say something controversial. I bet George will wallop anyone who disagrees.

Peter Taylor

Why would I want to wallop Marilyn when you are always available as an easy target? But if Marilyn would like to get into some heated exchanges with other OLers, she can get the ball rolling by posting and defending any of the following remarks:

I liked Ayn Rand's novels when I was 14, but I grew out of them after I became more mature.

A friend told me that Ayn Rand would have enjoyed watching poor people starve to death in the streets. What made her so cruel?

Why was Ayn Rand a drug addict?

When I asked my philosophy teacher his opinion of Ayn Rand, he said that she was "a fascistic, bat-shit crazy bitch." Does anyone here agree with that? .

All the fans of Ayn Rand that I've ever met are emotionally repressed cultists and control freaks with no sense of humor. What makes you people like that?

I watched Ayn Rand yesterday on a YouTube video. She was obviously a lesbian dominatrix. Did she ever talk about that part of her life?

Ghs

George,

LOL...

I think Peter was saying you would be a gallant knight and stand up for your lady.

I don't think he was saying you would wallop her. Instead, you would wallop anyone who was mean to her.

btw - Nice list of questions...

Michael

Michael,

Okay, I get it now. I read Peter as saying that I would wallop anyone who disagrees with me, including Marilyn if she said something controversial. I obviously wasn't paying close attention. Thanks for setting me straight, and my apologies to Peter.

Ghs