Happy Birthday, Nellie Bly

Nellie Bly born Elizabeth Cochran in 1864 was a world traveler (she went around the world in 72 days, beating Phinias Fogg of 80 day fame), a reporter, an inventor (she invented two new types of steel containers), an industrialist (she ran her husbands steel drum firm after his death) and a writer.

I think she and Ayn Rand would have gotten along famously.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Nellie Bly born Elizabeth Cochran in 1864 was a world traveler (she went around the world in 72 days, beating Phinias Fogg of 80 day fame), a reporter, an inventor (she invented two new types of steel containers), an industrialist (she ran her husbands steel drum firm after his death) and a writer.

I think she and Ayn Rand would have gotten along famously.

Ba'al Chatzaf

You might enjoy this website Bob...

http://www.nellieblyonline.com/

on_the_fly_card.jpg

An old trading card...

I was also able to download her book ...

Price Fifty Cents.

NELLIE BLY'S

BOOK.

AROUND THE WORLD IN SEVENTY-TWO DAYS.

It is 109 pages long and as you can see, it sold for 50 cents.

'HOBOKEN, OPPOSITE THE UNITED STATES.'"

While at luncheon on the 21st of November, some one called out that we were in sight of land. The way everyone left the table and rushed on deck was surely not surpassed by the companions of Columbus when they discovered America. I can not give any good reason for it, but I know that I looked at the first point of bleak land with more interest than I would have bestowed on the most beautiful bit of scenery in the world.

We had not been long in sight of land until the decks began to fill with dazed-looking, wan-faced people. It was just as if we had taken on new passengers. We could not realize that they were from New York and had been enjoying (?) a season of seclusion since leaving that port.

Dinner that evening was a very pleasant affair. Extra courses had been prepared in honor of those that were leaving at Southampton. I had not known one of the passengers when I left New York seven days before, but I realized, now that I was so soon to separate from them, that I regretted the parting very much.

Had I been traveling with a companion I should not have felt this so keenly, for naturally then I would have had less time to cultivate the acquaintance of my fellow passengers.

They were all so kind to me that I should have been the most ungrateful of women had I not felt that I was leaving friends behind. Captain Albers had served many years as commander of a ship in Eastern seas, and he cautioned me as to the manner in which I should take care of my health. As the time grew shorter for my stay on the Augusta Victoria, some teased me gently as to the outcome of my attempt to beat the record made by a hero of fiction, and I found myself forcing a false gaiety that helped to hide my real fears