Haiti

Guys/Gals,

My question today is pretty simple, why is Haiti so poor? In my class today we read an article by Dr. Leslie Alexander and she basically blames the U.S. and France for the reason Haiti is so poor but this seems far too simplistic. Any answer is always helpful.

Thanks,

David C. :)

Guys/Gals,

My question today is pretty simple, why is Haiti so poor? In my class today we read an article by Dr. Leslie Alexander and she basically blames the U.S. and France for the reason Haiti is so poor but this seems far too simplistic. Any answer is always helpful.

Thanks,

David C. :smile:

Each country starts poor but Haiti is caught in the circularity of poor re-enforcing poor because the operative values are poor and those values are continually buttressed up through material welfare enough for people just to wait for the next dinner bell.

--Brant

Guys/Gals,

Thanks,

Is this the article?

A Land of Promise:’ Emigration and Pennsylvania’s Black Elite in the Era of the Haitian Revolution.” Dr. Alexander's current research project, tentatively titled "The Cradle of Hope: African American Internationalism in the Nineteenth Century,” is an exploration of early African American foreign policy in Haiti.

The core population of Haiti were slaves. Over on the other side of the Island The Dominicans weren't slaves and were somewhat better off..

Guys/Gals,

Thanks,

Is this the article?

A Land of Promise:’ Emigration and Pennsylvania’s Black Elite in the Era of the Haitian Revolution.” Dr. Alexander's current research project, tentatively titled "The Cradle of Hope: African American Internationalism in the Nineteenth Century,” is an exploration of early African American foreign policy in Haiti.

I can't find the article you mentioned online so I don't know, my professor just gave us a part of one of her articles it didn't have the title of the piece on it. Sorry