First edition of The Fountainhead

Hi,

Just joined this site after searching for information on a first eition of The Fountainhead after I bought a copy today from a resale shop.

It seems to fit the the profile (maybe) of a first eition in the green cover

1. Green cover

2. 1943

3. First page blank, second says :The Fountainhead", third page says, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand The Blakiston Company Philadelphia,

back of that page :copyright, 1943,the bobbs_merrill company manufactured in the United States,

next page says "To Frank O'Conner,

next page has a couple paragraphs and signed Ayn Rand March 10,1943

Then the contents page

4. does not say first eition

5. does have all the errors that I read about

Is this a first edition in the green cover?

Appreciate any comments an enjoyed the information that I have found so far.

Thank,you,

sandfisher

Hi,

Just joined this site after searching for information on a first eition of The Fountainhead after I bought a copy today from a resale shop.

It seems to fit the the profile (maybe) of a first eition in the green cover

1. Green cover

2. 1943

3. First page blank, second says :The Fountainhead", third page says, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand The Blakiston Company Philadelphia,

back of that page :copyright, 1943,the bobbs_merrill company manufactured in the United States,

next page says "To Frank O'Conner,

next page has a couple paragraphs and signed Ayn Rand March 10,1943

Then the contents page

4. does not say first eition

5. does have all the errors that I read about

Is this a first edition in the green cover?

Appreciate any comments an enjoyed the information that I have found so far.

Thank,you,

sandfisher

Due to WWII paper rationing it appears this was a subsidiary printing by a company that had extra paper and not a true first edition. My answer is tentative. Bobbs-Merrill was the primary publisher. A cover will tend to up the value. Search The Fountainhead on eBay. Listings of Rand items has exponentially multiplied in the last few years. I think prices have come down as people need money they are selling everything they can. Your book may be rare and valuable, but Blakiston may make it that way; I've never before heard of them. I'd guess that Bobbs purchased the paper rights and stuck on the other name for legal reasons and ran off the additional printing. For sure the plates weren't shipped around publisher to publisher, plant to plant.

--Brant

Researched The Blakiston Co. and not alot of information but did find that it is listed as an imprint of

Doubleday publishers and sold to McGraw-Hill in 1947. So it seems that it is there, like you said, because of

one of the printing runs.

I love conversations like this. It's like finding random pieces of a puzzle an completing the picture.

Thank you for your help,

sanfisher

I saw this from last years ARI auction in Chicago:

The following items will be auctioned at the Atlas Shrugged Revolution on May 3, 2012. Click on the images to enlarge.

The Fountainhead

True first edition, first state (red covers), with “First Edition” printed on the copyright page. In original first-state dust jacket (which has listings for other books on the back panel), and which is in exceptional condition. The rear panel of the dust jacket has an almost unnoticeable closed tear that has been expertly repaired. Rare in this condition. The owner of the book will donate 80 percent of the auction proceeds to the Institute.

Opening Bid: $7,000
Winning Bid: $13,000

t__dscn0017.jpgt__dscn0018.jpgt__dscn0019.jpgt__dscn0021.jpgt__dscn0022.jpgt__dscn0383.jpg

And this years auction in Chicago which is on Thursday :

The following items will be auctioned at the Atlas Shrugged Revolution dinner on May 9, 2013. Click on the images to enlarge.

The Fountainhead

True first edition, first state (red covers), with “First Edition” printed on the copyright page. In original first-state dust jacket (which has listings for other books on the back panel), and which is in exceptional condition. The rear panel of the dust jacket has an almost unnoticeable closed tear that has been expertly repaired. Rare in this condition.

t__dscn0017.jpgt__dscn0018.jpgt__dscn0019.jpgt__dscn0021.jpgt__dscn0022.jpgt__dscn0383.jpg

And this years auction in Chicago which is on Thursday :

The following items will be auctioned at the Atlas Shrugged Revolution dinner on May 9, 2013. Click on the images to enlarge.

The Fountainhead

True first edition, first state (red covers), with “First Edition” printed on the copyright page. In original first-state dust jacket (which has listings for other books on the back panel), and which is in exceptional condition. The rear panel of the dust jacket has an almost unnoticeable closed tear that has been expertly repaired. Rare in this condition.