Working Titles by Author

caroljane

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Hole in the Ground with a Big Swingy Thing (Poe)

~ Shane

- The Barrel of Sherry (Poe)

Sir and Madam:

It has been definitively determined through exhaustive research by my Department that the original working titles of the referenced works were, in fact, "Hole in the ground and a Big Heavy Swingy Thing, and "A Triple of this Great Stuff I've Been Drinking"

Dr Q.T Raven, M.A. (Oxon)

Edgar Allan Poe Chair Emeritus

University of Transylvania

• 1 month later...

On the Collector Lane

The Generator and the Glory

Nice!

I am chagrined that you were able to work in Greene's greatest novel, especially after I spent no less than 45 seconds trying to come up with something myself.

Can we surmise that you came up with this thread having after read Christopher Hitchens' autobiography? If not, imagine he and his erudite pals engaging in late night, high level bathos while fully in the bag...

Actually, I came up with it after reading a funny novel which may have been written by one of his pals.(Colin somebody) The self-pitying protagonist is a brilliant but neglected author, reduced to teaching Creative Writing in a women's prison, who comforts himself by making up such titles ("Quarter to Three in the Garden of Good and Evil" is one example I remember.

This is also a good pre-sleep soother, like the alphabet game.

I agree, P&G was Greene's greatest. I liked Brighton Rock very much too.

The Execrable Evil of Ayn Rand's Envious Enemies

The Slimy Spite of Ayn Rand's Sycophantic Succubi

The Bitch and the Bastard

Liars Liars Pants on Fire!

(..deep breath)

How I Uncovered the World's Greatest Conspiracy All By Myself

The Intemperate Utterances of Some People (You Know Who They are)

Scholarship for Dummies

On the Collector Lane

Nice!

I am chagrined that you were able to work in Greene's greatest novel, especially after I spent no less than 45 seconds trying to come up with something myself.

Can we surmise that you came up with this thread having after read Christopher Hitchens' autobiography? If not, imagine he and his erudite pals engaging in late night, high level bathos while fully in the bag...

Actually, I came up with it after reading a funny novel which may have been written by one of his pals.(Colin somebody) The self-pitying protagonist is a brilliant but neglected author, reduced to teaching Creative Writing in a women's prison, who comforts himself by making up such titles ("Quarter to Three in the Garden of Good and Evil" is one example I remember.

Just finished off The Human Factor last night. I highly recommend it.

On the Collector Lane

Nice!

Just finished off The Human Factor last night. I highly recommend it.

I have ordered it at the library. GG must have been a major influence on LeCarre, whom I also revel in.