6 Reasons Why Sex is Good For You

BAMF

To paraphrase a great old slogan for Guinness beer: Sex isn’t just good, it’s good for you!

Okay, so maybe there’s some wishful thinking going on — the science isn’t exactly iron-clad — but evidence is accumulating that the more sex you have, the better off you are.

There is one caveat, though. “We do not have good data to show a direct connection [to all-around good health],” says Jennifer Bass, the head of information services at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction in Bloomington, Ind. “We know that healthier people have more sexual activity. But we do not know which comes first. Does the good health make you more willing to have sex, or does the sex have a positive impact?”

And you dirty girrrls and Don Juans should know that the assumed health benefits of sex are generally thought to accrue to people in loving, monogamous relationships or those flying solo. Risky sex with lots of partners will probably do more harm than good.

But while researchers try to nail down the impact on overall health, data is mounting when it comes to some specifics. Here are several potential benefits:

1. Easing depression and stress

Bass says this is pretty definite. “The release from orgasm does much to calm people. It helps with sleep, and that is whether we talk about solo sex or sex with a partner,” she says.

But wait, there’s more. A recent study of college students at the State University of New York in Albany suggests that semen acts as an antidepressant. Females in the study who were having sex without condoms (see safe sex caution, above) had fewer signs of depression than women who used condoms or abstained from sex.

“These data are consistent with the possibility that semen may antagonize depressive symptoms,” the authors wrote, “and evidence which shows that the vagina absorbs a number of components of semen that can be detected in the bloodstream within a few hours of administration.”

I kid you not, ladies. Semen is good stuff. It gives a shot of zinc, calcium, potassium, fructose, proteins — a veritable cornucopia of vitality!

2. Relieving pain

Orgasm is a powerful pain-killer. Oxytocin, a natural chemical in the body that surges before and during climax, gets some of the credit, along with a couple of other compounds like endorphins.

According to a study by Beverly Whipple, professor emeritus at Rutgers University and a famed sexologist and author, when women masturbated to orgasm “the pain tolerance threshold and pain detection threshold increased significantly by 74.6 percent and 106.7 percent respectively.”

3. Boosting cardio health

I can’t resist another plug for semen. It’s possible that male goo can lower blood pressure. Another recent study found that women who gave their men oral sex, and swallowed, had a lower risk of preeclampsia, the dangerously high blood pressure that sometimes accompanies pregnancy.

No, I’m not making this up. “The present study shows that oral sex and swallowing sperm is correlated with a diminished occurrence of preeclampsia,” said the Dutch authors.

See? We told you it was good for you.

There have been other studies showing that sex lowers blood pressure, and might even protect against strokes because of its stress-relieving ability.

But when we think of sex and the cardio system, we tend to think of poor old Nelson Rockefeller having a heart attack in flagrante delicto. Well, not only does that hardly ever happen, but sex might actually protect the heart. A 2002 report from a large British population of men said “some protection from fatal coronary events may be an added bonus” of frequent sexual intercourse.

4. Countering prostate cancer

Over the past few years, several journals have published studies showing that the more ejaculations the better.

Now the Journal of the American Medical Association, no less, has reported that “high ejaculation frequency was related to decreased risk of total prostate cancer.” It doesn’t matter how a man climaxes — intercourse or masturbation. So next time he says, “Really, honey, it’s therapy,” he could be telling the truth.

5. Healing wounds

Some evidence suggests sex can be rejuvenating to the point of helping wounds to heal faster. Several experiments have shown that oxytocin can help even stubborn sores, like those suffered by diabetics, to heal by regenerating certain cells.

6. Fighting aging

Maybe it’s the rejuvenation, maybe the happiness, maybe all of the above. One thing’s for sure: “Use it or lose it” is literally true. For example, postmenopausal women often suffer from “vaginal atrophy,” which is what it sounds like and can lead to all sorts of complications like urinary tract infections. What’s one way to prevent it? More intercourse.

Sex is a form of exercise, after all, and like all exercise, it burns calories and can help battle the onslaught of the years. In fact, nursing home experts say they wish oldsters would have more sex.

Can sex really make you live longer? Maybe. In the same population of British men I cited earlier, researchers found a 50 percent reduction in overall mortality in the group of men who said they had the most orgasms. There was a dose response: the more orgasms, the better.

Of course, as Kinsey’s Bass reminds us, it could be that these blokes were just healthier and felt like having sex more often. But since there’s no evidence that lots of sex is bad for you, what have you got to lose?

http://www.healthrelatedinfos.com/20...y-for-you.html

Damn, this is the best news I’ve heard in a long time! Listen, I don’t care if there is no scientific evidence to prove that sex is good for you—I’m jumping in there on faith alone, baby! Here is my mantra: sex is good for you. Sex is good for you. Sex is good for you. Meditation time now (sitting cross-legged now): Hmmmm-hmmmmm-hmmmmmm.

LOL. Sex has to be good for you, else why would it be so good?! Of course all that's mentioned there is how good semen is for you...pssssht! *glances southward*

Edit: Oh, snap, dat's my 500th post! Maybe I should start posting more worthwhile things for my next 500. On second though...NAH!

Edited by Kori

Kori,

What? There is something more worthwhile than sex? Are you serious? Have you joined the female conspiracy? You seemed to be on the right track when you started this thread.

~ I need a 'study' to determine that sex is a worthwhile endeavor for me? This is the stuff for 6pm news to report on as having been scientifically established...finally?

~ Do these money-throwing grant-givers pay for part-time work? I could use a few extra bucks for doing nothing important.

LLAP

J:D

~ I need a 'study' to determine that sex is a worthwhile endeavor for me? This is the stuff for 6pm news to report on as having been scientifically established...finally?

~ Do these money-throwing grant-givers pay for part-time work? I could use a few extra bucks for doing nothing important.

LLAP

J:D

Really, Marvin Gaye told us in Sexual Healing that sex is good. Where else do you need to go? :turned:

“These data are consistent with the possibility that semen may antagonize depressive symptoms,” the authors wrote, “and evidence which shows that the vagina absorbs a number of components of semen that can be detected in the bloodstream within a few hours of administration.”

I kid you not, ladies. Semen is good stuff. It gives a shot of zinc, calcium, potassium, fructose, proteins — a veritable cornucopia of vitality!

It can also be good for the skin, if you're not overly sensitive. It has a tightening effect so smoothes out blemishes, wrinkles, etc., but is only temporary. It also makes the skin very soft.

2. Relieving pain

Orgasm is a powerful pain-killer. Oxytocin, a natural chemical in the body that surges before and during climax, gets some of the credit, along with a couple of other compounds like endorphins.

Agree with this as well. It can help soothe a headache. So if your woman gives the excuse, "Not tonight, honey, I got a headache." Tell her that you'll be more than happy to help get rid of it for her with a little romp in the sack. BUT believe it or not, orgasms can trigger a headache, depending on how intense the orgasm is.

4. Countering prostate cancer

Over the past few years, several journals have published studies showing that the more ejaculations the better.

Now the Journal of the American Medical Association, no less, has reported that “high ejaculation frequency was related to decreased risk of total prostate cancer.” It doesn’t matter how a man climaxes — intercourse or masturbation. So next time he says, “Really, honey, it’s therapy,” he could be telling the truth.

When a man ejaculates, his PC muscles (pubococcygeus muscle) are contracting. Wiki article. Pubococcygeus muscles Even outside of ejaculating, if this muscle is exercised often, it has many benefits for prostate health, urinary tract health, and sexual health and sexual benefits. The prostate gland is a male reproductive organ and is responsible in helping make seminal fluid. A strong PC muscle and a healthy sex life will decrease his chances of contracting prostate cancer.

Wiki article. The Prostate The prostate can also help increase the intensity of his orgasm if massaged properly. "Stimulation of the prostate gland in males has been compared to stimulation of the Gräfenberg spot in females in that prostate stimulation can result in a more powerful orgasm. See Prostate massage and Anal Sex for more information."

If a man exercises these muscles which are called Kegel exercises, there are many benefits to urinary tract health as well as sexual benefits. "Kegel exercises are a set of exercises designed to strengthen and give voluntary control over the pubococcygeus muscles. They are often referred to simply as "kegels." These exercises also serve to contract the cremaster muscle in men, as voluntary contraction of the pubococcygeus muscle also engages the cremasteric reflex, which also has sexual benefits. This will make the testicles jump and lift, and very fine control can be achieved with practice."

"Kegel exercises appear to enable some men to have multiple orgasms and can help with premature ejaculation" Woooohoooo !!!! Wiki article on how to perform Kegel exercises for men and women Kegel Exercises. These can also be exercised after daily workouts at home or the gym. Just one more area that is getting exercise.

6. Fighting aging

Maybe it’s the rejuvenation, maybe the happiness, maybe all of the above. One thing’s for sure: “Use it or lose it” is literally true. For example, postmenopausal women often suffer from “vaginal atrophy,” which is what it sounds like and can lead to all sorts of complications like urinary tract infections. What’s one way to prevent it? More intercourse.

Well, more intercourse alone won't prevent vaginal atrophy. They're missing a very important aspect that's not mentioned which I am sure is mentioned somewhere else in the study that was performed. When a woman reaches climax, her vaginal muscles are contracting. These are called her PC muscles, pubococcygeus muscles. As long as she is having an orgasm with intercourse and her PC muscles are contracting, it will retain tone and strength of the vaginal muscles and will prevent vaginal atrophy. "Factors such as pregnancy, childbirth and being overweight often result in the weakening of pelvic muscles. Kegel exercises are useful in regaining pelvic floor muscle strength in such cases. Regular Kegel exercise can also increase sexual pleasure for females and their partners. After childbirth, practicing pelvic floor contractions during sexual intercourse with a male partner will allow the woman immediate feedback from her partner, who can tell her whether or not he can feel her muscles tightening around his penis. In this manner, a newly postpartum woman can retrain her pelvic floor muscles to their pre-pregnancy strength and tone."

Intercourse alone won't prevent atrophy. As long as she is climaxing and having vaginal contractions, will she then help prevent vaginal atrophy. So men, make sure your ladies are climaxing !!!

Aside from preventing vaginal atrophy, strong PC muscles in women will result in stronger and more intense orgasms. Also results in more pleasure for him because the stronger her PC muscles are, the harder she will contract and clench around her partner's penis so it is also pleasurable for him. Women can exercise her PC muscles in several different ways but I'll list a few here: Ben Wa Balls and how to perform Kegel Exercises If you've taken up an exercise routine or just want better sex and better orgasms, do your Kegel exercises consistently and you'll definitely notice many wonderful differences !!!

Kori, thanks for posting this article. I overall liked it very much and I definitely agree with it. I thoroughly enjoy doing my own research and experiments as well as reading about other people's research into sex, human sexuality, etc., and I am always on the look out for new studies being performed. If you find anymore, definitely post them if you don't mind. :)

Edited by CNA

Alright, at the risk of sounding crass (but I'll take that chance, given the graphic nature of this thread so far), is there any truth to the assumption that a woman's vaginal excretions, applied to a bald man's scalp, can grow hair by suppressing dihydrotestosterone?

Alright, at the risk of sounding crass (but I'll take that chance, given the graphic nature of this thread so far), is there any truth to the assumption that a woman's vaginal excretions, applied to a bald man's scalp, can grow hair by suppressing dihydrotestosterone?

Mark, I don’t know about that, but it might make an interesting jell for a man with a full head of hair. :hairy:

Angie baby, you are too much. What a great post! Whew, you know all these about sex, you cook, you’re devoted and loving and you’re smart and vivacious. Man, maybe there is a god after all. :angel:

For heavens sake,just do it! That's all I ever did, except between the ages of 13 and 16 when I finally learned how to masturbate. "The lost years."

--Brant

Sexual education and communication between loving partners makes for better sex and it is not an “instinct” that makes us a more effective lover—and I am now a believer that “just doing it” falls short of what Angie, given her self education, can bring to the table for all to benefit from here (especially me). If you don't know how to please a woman or partner--you might return to the lost years. :turned:

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

For heavens sake,just do it! That's all I ever did, except between the ages of 13 and 16 when I finally learned how to masturbate. "The lost years."

--Brant

Sexual education and communication between loving partners makes for better sex and it is not an “instinct” that makes us a more effective lover—and I am now a believer that “just doing it” falls short of what Angie, given her self education, can bring to the table for all to benefit from here (especially me). If you don't know how to please a woman or partner--you might return to the lost years. :turned:

-Victor

R u saying I don't know how to please a woman? :cry:

--Brant

--Brant

-Victor

R u saying I don't know how to please a woman? :cry:

--Brant

Just make sure to take off those black knee-high socks when you do it, and it'll be all good. :turned:

Mark, I don’t know about that, but it might make an interesting jell for a man with a full head of hair. :hairy:

Only if he wants a bunch of other guys following him around. The pheromone scent will drive them wild and may have some unintended effects. :whistle:

Judith

Well, I'm glad empirical science came to the rescue once again and settled this time-honored controversy.

I would've had to cancel a hell of a lot of plans this week if the results came in negative.

rde

It's so much better when you've been without a bedframe for a year, then you get one. Possibilities=endless.

Angie's Institute for Sexual Information, AISI

Angie's Sexual Information Institute, ASII, pronounced: A Sigh!

Angie's Venus Institute, AVI, no that is already taken, having something to fo with video formatting.

Angie's Sex Improvement Society, ASIS, asimilar to Isis, the Egyptian Goddess of Love, but it should be similar.

Angie's Sex Institute, ASI, a one-letter advance on ARI, but is that enough improvement?

Angie's Lovemaking Institute, ALI, sounds Muslim and they do not like sex, except after death.

Angie's Sex and Love Institute, ASLI, no that is the Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute.

Angie's Fun and Games Institute, AFGI, no that is the Association of Financial Guaranty Insurers, surely not given to fun and games!

Well, it looks like the winner is clearly A Sigh! I am not able to improve on that.

Angie's Venus Institute, AVI, no that is already taken, having something to fo with video formatting.

Angie's Sex Improvement Society, ASIS, asimilar to Isis, the Egyptian Goddess of Love, but it should be similar.

Angie's Sex Institute, ASI, a one-letter advance on ARI, but is that enough improvement?

Angie's Lovemaking Institute, ALI, sounds Muslim and they do not like sex, except after death.

Angie's Sex and Love Institute, ASLI, no that is the Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute.

Angie's Fun and Games Institute, AFGI, no that is the Association of Financial Guaranty Insurers, surely not given to fun and games!

Well, it looks like the winner is clearly A Sigh! I am not able to improve on that.

And I'm the only member of each Institute! :turned:

Angie baby, you are too much. What a great post! Whew, you know all these about sex, you cook, you’re devoted and loving and you’re smart and vivacious. Man, maybe there is a god after all. :angel:

Thank you, Boo. :heart: I'm glad you liked my post. Hey, a little education and communication can go a long way !! :wink: :wink: I hope a few here found it educational and they learned something new. I was thinking about posting some other stuff, just some educational tidbits. It's a fascinating subject.

Edited by CNA

Oh, my God, Charles. Wow. Big smiles now and I can't help but giggle a bit. LOL That's very cute and very sweet of you. I'm not quite sure what to say. :unsure: I definitely got a kick out of it. :) Thank you. Well, damn, I hope someone got some type of an education from it.

I sure as shit got some education from it! :blink::lol: Goodness gracious.

Grafenberg? So that's what it stands for! Now I must know who this Grafenberg is...*goes off to research*

Don't let the fellas know that semen is good for the skin! :shocked: Hopefully there won't be a new study saying that it's also good for the eyeballs. :blink: :logik:

Grafenberg? So that's what it stands for! Now I must know who this Grafenberg is...*goes off to research*

Don't let the fellas know that semen is good for the skin! :shocked: Hopefully there won't be a new study saying that it's also good for the eyeballs. :blink: :logik:

LOL. I'm glad someone got an education. Woohooo !! Sex Ed 101 wasn't anything like this when I was in highschool. I was thinking about posting some information about the additional 3 spots within a woman that are similar to the G-spot. :shocked: Yeah, we got a total of 4 !! Damn, we're blessed. :wink: LOL But guys have others as well other than the prostate but not sure if I will be able to find links for it on the net. Hmmm...maybe but will have to do a lot of looking. Ah, when I get more time, I just might spend some time searching for it.

LOL. I'm glad someone got an education. Woohooo !! Sex Ed 101 wasn't anything like this when I was in highschool. I was thinking about posting some information about the additional 3 spots within a woman that are similar to the G-spot. :shocked: Yeah, we got a total of 4 !! Damn, we're blessed. :wink: LOL But guys have others as well other than the prostate but not sure if I will be able to find links for it on the net. Hmmm...maybe but will have to do a lot of looking. Ah, when I get more time, I just might spend some time searching for it.

We never had sex ed. LOL. Parents would probably get their panties in a bunch over it. Three more spots? Gad damn...I didn't know. Ange, we're only blessed if the guys can find those spots. :lol:

Angie baby: I was thinking about posting some information about the additional 3 spots within a woman that are similar to the G-spot.

Um, do tell. I'm all ears! :rofl:

Edit: Find those spots, Kori? Hell, I'll send out a goddamn search crew for that!

Edited by Victor Pross

We never had sex ed. LOL. Parents would probably get their panties in a bunch over it. Three more spots? Gad damn...I didn't know. Ange, we're only blessed if the guys can find those spots. :lol:

Holy hell, are you serious? They don't offer sex ed anymore? That's truly sad but not surprising. WTF, no learning about the birds and the bees, safe sex and condoms, different birth control methods, abstinence, how a woman becomes preggo. And they wonder why so many kids are coming up pregnant, STDs and -- hell, eventually women won't know what a clitoris is. I'm sure if it was up to them they'd burn all the damn sex ed books. Wow. I'm floored. I had sex ed in the 7th grade as well as in high school. Damn, have times changed. But it truly doesn't surprise me one bit.

Sex Ed? I recall the subject being broached when I went to school and it is all rather foggy now, except I do recall that the teacher was very embarrassed about it—that I recall very clearly. It was sad. I got my sex Ed primarily from the streets, Playboy and…um, hands-on practice (I can't remember her name now, how bad is that?)

Edited by Victor Pross