The Emotonomicon

william.scherk

Emotion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which are Basic Emotions?

This comes with rolling quiz questions, and also clues and hints and helping information. My Name is Mrs Grundy. This is my classroom. Please fasten your harnesses and we will begin.

The subject is emotion. The question is, "If we could illustrate our emotions by way of a 'colour wheel,' what would it say?"

1. Here is one image which contains clues, hints, ideas for cheating, and helping information. There are no 'correct' answers (until I unveil them and begin with the Corrective Ruler). Look at the Orange slice of the pie and figure out what is written there. Also please note that the examining magistrate has already seeded the results with two correct answers (and one incorrect one). Good luck. Prizes and Punishments will be announced later.

dX0n.jpeg

2. Here is another image. It contains a very good hint and helping information (if you know the purpose to which this image was used in psychological study -- and, better yet, know to what purpose it is used as evidence of the very thing it was used to look for. You do not need to steep in Foucault or Rand to get this helping information. It contains the key to the rest of the exam, and the Central Point of my Joycean Rant. In other words, I give you every opportunity to Cheat Wildly) but also a bit of unhelpful information in these notes. I might be drunk. I might want to entice you into the Torture Classroom.This is Open Book.

Beware, this picture contains False Friends, like a page of mugshots that misses suspects entirely.

universal_emotion.jpg

undefined

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures left to right top to bottom look like:

row one = anger, fear, disgust

row tow=surprise, joy/happiness/pleasure, sadness or wistfulness or longing

I'm not sure I agree that those six are -the- basics though.

NB -- if you do not participate in the poll, I judge that you are not participating in the thread. However, since that was not Explicit in the instructions: If you do NOT vote in the poll, I cannot see you in the replies. You are invisible to me. Remember the teacher (usually some beeyotch of any gender with Very Tight Hair) who would tell you "I don't read pencil," or worse (her name was Miss Whateverthefuck in Grade 8 and I Crushed her that year because she had also said, "I can tell if you MADE UP your essays." I thought to myself, "If you are too stupid to be able to read pencil, then you are also too stupid to discover that my Final Essay was COMPLETELY made up, from references (I didn't even look in the Library) to statements (ALL made up), and not only that, Beeyotch, but I wrote it ENTIRELY the night before it was due, just to put the final torch to your presumption that "I CAN TELL if you wrote it the Night Before It Was Due." No, you couldn't, you stupid thing, and you quashed all imagination in your class except in me, who watched as your mouth and face moved but your hair did not, none of it, and while you obviously had PENCILS in your fucking desk (I looked, bitch), and you had notes written in fucking PENCIL in your desk on some shit from some fucking teacher committee meeting. You were a liar, and you spoiled school for me that year because I was such a bitter little thing at twelve).

So, Rule: if you do not write in pen, in the poll, I CANNOT see your replies. If you persist, you will be penalized.

HOWEVER, since we start with a Fresh Slate here in this classroom, I will assign initial points.

Adam, you got three options (knowing that there are two correct answers and one incorrect answer on the poll right now). You put forth one correct answer out of three possible correct answers, so that your first score is I in 3. I adjust your score upward (for being the first to answer in a succinct way). I add a bonus 20 points to the 100 point index, putting your score at 53.3 per cent, rounded up to a score of 54. Once I add further adjustments for bravery, the secret Brevity formula, the Pertinent Words Percentile algorhythm, we arrive at your initial score of 55.

Good work. On the task, however, you have a raw score of 0 so far, so if we used a co-factor of two to the Question in the Poll (correct numbers of basic emotions/correct answers) by ratio. You are in the lead only because you are in the game. Otherwise ...

Pictures left to right top to bottom look like:

row one = anger, fear, disgust

row tow=surprise, joy/happiness/pleasure, sadness or wistfulness or longing

I'm not sure I agree that those six are -the- basics though.

Phil, there are two special rules for you in this thread and two special exceptions from General Rules, and one Explicit Rule that everyone else understands implicitly.

1. Pay Attention

2. Look For Clues

3. Watch what I am pointing at, not The Finger

4. Answer the Poll if you want to be replied to in this thread by me from this moment on

5. You may change your answers in the poll at any time

6, You, and YOU ALONE are able to bring in further illustrations to broader our understanding of both The Point and The Question.

7. If you quote another post from OL, you will use either of the two following formats in your quotation:

a) standard OL quote / includes conversational paraphrase such as earlier in this discussion (two posts up), George said this, "Blah Blah Phil Fuck Blah Argh Kill Me No Not the Challenge ARGH!"

b) None (meaning, in particular, if you use one of your fucking little left-caret or 'left-angle' bracket things (circa Usenet 1996 and email lists since the dawn of time, I CANNOT SEE YOU.

8. There are eight correct answers to the Poll. That is your final answer, Phil.

Now, since you at least grasped a portion of the task, I will score you.

a) what you did was label three of the 'false flag' clues from the second image. You forgot about

1) the Poll

2) the first image

b) your labels were

anger, fear, disgust

surprise, joy/happiness/pleasure, sadness or wistfulness or longin

c) your attempt at the task Adam recognized resulted in 0 answers, thus giving you 0 on task awareness at this stage. However, you transferred the task paradigm to the second target (which had no labels, and was a False Friend). You get then, full points only for 1/2 of the answer FEAR, and thus would get 1/6 of the score applied to the whole task set. Since, unlike Adam, you did not understand what was being asked of you by a exponent of 1/8, this further reduces your provisional score, I am sad and disappointed to say.

Phil, if you have an understanding of only 1/8, and have misapplied two clues, you are not eligible for bonus or percentage as was Adam.

Your score stands at only 7 per cent, Phil (and no, that is not 70 marks against Adam's provisional 55. It reads SEVEN. And Teacher is getting just a little bit vexed with you already.

Scores as of the editing time.

Bill [score obscured, since he doesn't want anyone to know how he crapped out from the top of his head when he tested his own knowledge before devising the test]

Adam A+ [a fuller breakdown is available at my blog post, linked below. It contains clues and also a five-dollar coupon. Phil is, for the moment, on my ignore list, so that he cannot even see the clues on the Blog -- if he logs out and tries to cheat he will not be able to see ANYTHING of any blog at all.]

Phil F [Phil can get a fuller breakdown at my blog, but only when and if he complies with the Rules. Since I am a fair person in between fits of rage and destruction, I suspend the rules for 24 hours from the dateline on this post. But, here is the kicker.

If you have played by the rules so far, you can message me** for the Correct Answers. There are no rules for this -- as soon as all 8 correct answers appear in the Poll results, you can bullshit me that you already answered them anyway. And remember, since I CANNOT read pencil, I also have no clue if you cheat. Or how kids cheat these days. So, if Adam wants to get all the answers out of me and sell them to Phil (or Carol, if she gets on the board) he can do that.]

Edited by william.scherk

Red is joy. The separated blue slice is disgust. Yellow is anger.

I can't read pencil.

At this moment, there are six correct answers in the Poll results.

[NB 1 -- this is both a good clue and a bad clue? Which one? I am not saying at the moment. Check back for details]

Edited by william.scherk

universal_emotion.jpg

undefined

I thought it was a collection of celebrities' relatives:

Ann Coulter's mom, Robert Conrad's little brother, Laura Branigan's cousin, Bill Hader's sister, Dave Letterman's uncle, and Maggie Gyllenhaal's grandmother.

J

At this moment there are 3 incorrect answers in the Poll results.

[NB 1 -- HINT: you must choose 8 answers from the poll, every single one of you who are now on the board. Go back and change your answers to reflect this criteria).

Adam, you have just received three bonus points, because I believe you already guessed without hinting that 8 is the key. So, here's the deal. I will double your points if you can tell me ONE of the answers on the board already that is wrong. Check the edit time on this message to set your clock. You have one hour. For each incorrect answer you give me I will give you one correct answer backstage. Remember, everyone can cheat, even me. That is what being Teacher/Torture Fantasy Facilitator is all about. I will be revising this HINT in 10 minutes. It might disappear, it might have an untrue statement added to it. It might contain misdirection by changing emphasis.

Free HINT for Phil: One of the statements in the paragraph above is untrue. The statement is less than eight words long from capital to period.]

Edited by william.scherk

universal_emotion.jpg

undefined

Ann Coulter's mom, Robert Conrad's little brother, Laura Branigan's cousin, Bill Hader's sister, Dave Letterman's uncle, and Maggie Gyllenhaal's grandmother.

J

Jonathan, you are temporarily disqualified for writing in grey. But you are, as seen by the new numbers on the board, edging into the lead at this time.

Here is your hint: Plutchik

Seeriously, I just can't do it with the colours. An emotion just isnt perceivable to me through the ones provided. I have been trying to think how love, pain, fear etc appear in the inner eye to me when I feel them - it is all black, white, ice blue, grey through brown - none of those colours are there.

The names of the emotions are easy - love is yellow, fear is brownish and so on. But that's just the names.

I guess it's just how my form of synaesthesia works. Maybe I am part Aspie, hi Brother Baal!

J

Jonathan, you are temporarily disqualified for writing in grey. But you are, as seen by the new numbers on the board, edging into the lead at this time.

Okay, then I'm going to change my answer to Ann Coulter's sister, Robert Conrad's dad, Laura Branigan's niece, Bill Hader's daughter, Dave Letterman's cousin, and Maggie Gyllenhaal's mom.

J

This is to hard why dont you be clere like aynrand was i think the insturctions are confusing and why shd we talk about emotions when other poeple make more $$ than me that they dont desirve.

Someone must dial up the Time Lord's number and explain that a Certain Someone has been transported here against her better interests.

I am not a master in these matters. Are her answers up on the board? Does she know where she is? All I care about is The Experiment, dammit!

Okay, then I'm going to change my answer to Ann Coulter's sister, Robert Conrad's dad, Laura Branigan's niece, Bill Hader's daughter, Dave Letterman's cousin, and Maggie Gyllenhaal's mom.

Ah, I see. Well, you are Almost Correct, let`s just put it that way. Kinda like Almost winning the lottery, but anyway. Do you need another hint?

Carol, to be explicit, the 'colour-wheel' is just an aide-memoire and a tool that HINT used for representation. The colours are of course arbitrarily chosen, so your reactions are understandable, but not in the remit of the POLL. Note that when we scored Adam's answer, we did so not because of Yellow, but because of FEAR. The pointing, not the finger, sister.

Well, I think I have done it wrong. I got thinking about emotional colour and then the colour of dreams and was not paying attention, so I just voted for what I think are the basic 6 withoujt bothering with the graphics. So far it looks like this is a fearful joyful group.

Well, I think I have done it wrong. I got thinking about emotional colour and then the colour of dreams and was not paying attention, so I just voted for what I think are the basic 6 withoujt bothering with the graphics. So far it looks like this is a fearful joyful group.

Can you go back and change your poll results? There is a coupon in it for you.

Can you go back and change your poll results? There is a coupon in it for you.

OK I changed them. But on the coupon remember I don't like Cheetos.

CLUE:

dXsW.jpeg

William, that's a very nice chart. I was trying to right click and ctrl-V copy it but it won't let me. Where is it from? (With the word 'groom' it looks like it's originally for chimpanzees or a relative?)

What's useful is the -extended- causal sequence. Not just the usual Oist evaluation-leads-to-emotion that we're all familiar with from Oist psych, but instead looking at prior and subsequent steps in the chain: stimulus or event --> cognition --> feeling state --> overt behavior --> effect.

William, that's a very nice chart. I was trying to right click and ctrl-V copy it but it won't let me. Where is it from? (With the word 'groom' it looks like it's originally for chimpanzees or a relative?)

http://i.imm.io/dXsW.jpeg

http://i.imm.io/dXsW.jpeg

Their is your link.

OK. That is four guaranteed Correct answers. Fear, Sadness, Joy and Anger. Yet at least four of our contestants have not changed their incorrect answers in the Poll.