A National Problem Regarding Special Needs Children And School Arrests...

I was not aware that this was as widespread as it apparently is.

ACLU is suing since it is clearly a violation of the Federal ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act.

Frankly, both the school and district administrators should be brought up on charges and removed if they administered this policy.

Secondly, the police commissioner should face the same charges since their officers have discretion at the point of contact with the student at the school.

Apparently, one special needs student was arrested for spraying perfume on her face.

One child was eight (8) years old and his arms were so thin that the handcuffs would not fit on his tiny wrists.  Allegedly, the handcuffs were put around his legs.

Finally, the school board and any town/city/village executive agency should also face charges and, if found guilty, prosecuted criminally.

http://lionelmedia.com/    

A...

Roslyn Ross: "Parenting like Ragnar and Kay: How to raise an individualist with high self-esteem"

Roslyn is also on facebook, and has a blog.

I am very impressed with Roslyn Ross. I was startled by some of her insights in "How to raise an individualist...". In a very good way, it resonated strongly with memories about how much I disliked being around certain adults when I was a child and how much I really liked a very few others. Totally consistent with Roslyn's insights. She has a unique and important perspective and is a work in progress. I look forward to her future writings.

Mike,

Did you link to that video on RoR? I seem to have watched it a while ago based on a recommendation from there, maybe yours? I liked the video although I felt a little like she was preaching to the choir. I would have liked to hear more concrete examples of implementation. My obstacle is typically not what I think ought to be, but how to make it happen especially given societal hurdles.

I wasn't aware of her blog, so thanks for that! Maybe I'll find what I'm looking for there.

Deanna,

I believe Teresa posted the video and started a discussion on RoR in January. I also bought Roslyn Ross's book on Kindle ($2.99) and read it. Well, I haven't read it entirely yet, I don't have any kids, my reading list is long. (If I stopped buying books I'd be good for at least a year or two. I plan to catch up when I retire). MEM is an idiot in that discussion, as usual. Never disappoints. My only disclaimer about Roslyn is she is a work in progress. I expect great things from her future writing. She has her hands full with her son Anders presently, and her husband no doubt. She appears to be working things out and throwing things out there for feedback. I think you'd be great feedback by the way. "Awesomeness, meet awesomeness".

Ah yes! I recall that discussion now, and had forgotten that I even participated in it. It was a good discussion. I have an inexplicable soft spot for MEM, so I rarely find him abrasive when others do. {chuckle}

RE: work in progress... I can definitely appreciate that. Story of my life!

Special needs is one of the biggest problems in public schools today.

I was diagnosed as special needs in Kindergarden. Thankfully my dad was enraged and got my out of the program, by the 6th grade I was in a gifted and talented program.

The issue is that special needs teachers often get paid more than regular teachers. The system is overzealous in diagnosing learning disabilities and many of the special needs teachers themselves are learning disabled.

Special needs is one of the biggest problems in public schools today.

I was diagnosed as special needs in Kindergarden. Thankfully my dad was enraged and got my out of the program, by the 6th grade I was in a gifted and talented program.

The issue is that special needs teachers often get paid more than regular teachers. The system is overzealous in diagnosing learning disabilities and many of the special needs teachers themselves are learning disabled.

Not crossing over Mikee's insightful question.

I am going to check your statement about the "special needs teacher" being paid more.

It has been a while since my eight (8) years on my Community School Board, or, the Federal suit about warehousing "special education" students, however, I believe the district gets approximately three times (3X) the amount of money for each "special needs" student.

The teacher does not get more, or, did not get more. That may have been the what your understanding was, or, is.

The point is that districts were forcing staff to come up with "disability diagnoses" in order to scam more money from their central source of funding.

It is, and was, despicable and clearly laid out the key fallacy of centralized government which is that the beast will always find ways to feed itself.

Same way Planned Parenthood has become a Buchenwald without showers.

What category did they attempt to "I.E.P." you into? Also, I hope you thank your father every once in a while for saving you from that horror.

Now isn't this astounding, you actually presented something that you experienced and were able to clearly express it and I did not say one "alleged" ad hominem remark...

Imagine the possibilities?

A...

peace-sign-winking-smiley-emoticon.gif

You probably know that RT is Russian Television. Right wingers like it for its constant barrage of anti-American propaganda, which they take as being "anti-government." It is the Putin Party Line: anything that makes America look bad. It would be hard to say how "widespread" the problem is without independent facts and figures.

You probably know that RT is Russian Television. Right wingers like it for its constant barrage of anti-American propaganda, which they take as being "anti-government." It is the Putin Party Line: anything that makes America look bad. It would be hard to say how "widespread" the problem is without independent facts and figures.

Just a quick check with my past clients who have special needs children confirmed that it is very bad. Not sure, yet, as whether it is this insane.

Thanks, and yes I do know, and always check, if possible, the agenda anything comes from Michael.

You know that.

If you have forgotten, I served on my NY City school board for 8 years and we were one of the, if not the first, to address "special education" and mainstream these individuals.

Those folks indicate that is has gotten awful. Not sure, yet, that awful is as widespread as indicated.

However, I will be following up on this, after all, I have a phone and a pen, and I also know how to use them.

A...