I want Robert Kolker to take acid

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I have to say that many of the theories in cosmology and quantum physics I eventually read about were anticipated by me during my psychedelic trips.

To which I reply: I don't need trips. I have a brain that works fine. on simple food, fresh air and bike rides.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ba'al,

Do you think that, if drugs had never been used, we'd still have all the great music and art we have today from the likes of the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Samuel Coleridge, etc...

Even if you don't particularly care for that sort of art - to you at least acknowledge its positive role in shaping pop culture? Do you feel that no advantage is to be had in shaking the dust off one's mind?

Ba'al,

Do you think that, if drugs had never been used, we'd still have all the great music and art we have today from the likes of the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Samuel Coleridge, etc...

Even if you don't particularly care for that sort of art - to you at least acknowledge its positive role in shaping pop culture? Do you feel that no advantage is to be had in shaking the dust off one's mind?

I do not deny that various drugs and stimulants are used.

Except for minute amounts of wine every now and then, I do not use them. Why? Because the only part of my body I consider sacred is my brain.

I am my pre-frontal cortex and my pre-frontal cortex is me. All the rest are just levers to hold things and something to transport my brains from here to there.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al,

Except for minute amounts of wine every now and then, I do not use them. Why? Because the only part of my body I consider sacred is my brain.

I am my pre-frontal cortex and my pre-frontal cortex is me. All the rest are just levers to hold things and something to transport my brains from here to there.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Any lost luggage?

--Brant

don't go Greyhound

Ba'al,

Ba'al Chatzaf

Any lost luggage?

--Brant

don't go Greyhound

I am missing some teeth.

To which I reply: I don't need trips. I have a brain that works fine. on simple food, fresh air and bike rides.

No, you don't need trips.

But I notice you mentioned upthread how long it took for you to understand Time and its relativistic nature. You were attempting to grok Time through mathematical equations and such.

I got the "gist" of it in a few hours one evening on LSD.

I would also remind you of your comment about how your forte is in being a mathematical critic who can pick apart and understand OTHERS' theories, but didn't have that ineffable "intuition" in generating new theories that great physicists have.

Well.

I was going to tell you that if you had a change of heart, but had no access to LSD, the action of psyloscibin mushrooms are very much the same, and easily obtainable. And natural.

Here's an interesting article on recent research being done on magic mushrooms. Apparently it can help with alcoholism. And it seems to be rather useful in mitigating so-called "end of life" issues, BOB.

*ahem*

http://healthland.time.com/2012/12/07/magic-mushroom-drug-shows-promise-in-treating-addictions-and-cancer-anxiety/

Aw, who am I kidding.

I think everyone here knows the score:

15n25gy.jpg

Intuition is unreliable. Logic and rigor is solid. Einstein did not believe his own theories until he worked them out mathematically. Intuition is a guide. But solid reasoning scales the mountain. Both have their uses.

I keep thinking of the soy sauce in John Dies at the End. (Gold star to anyone besides me who has read the book! I already got my gold star.)

No gold star for me.

• 4 months later...

Anyone heard of Silk Road? Any experiences to share?

http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/29/vice-interviews-silk-road-black-market-d

Alas, Silk Road is no more. The Dread Pirate Roberts is in custody. What's interesting though is that they seem to have caught him because of mistakes he made early on; the FBI didn't get him by finding a flaw in the actual system. Or, having the paranoid skills of a Pynchon protagonist I almost reflexively think of this, maybe they did hack the system, and now they're putting out a cover story so they can bust more people.

And here I had my hopes that this would break the back of the 'drug war' at last. Stay tuned, it's still a developing story.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/02/alleged-silk-road-website-founder-arrested-bitcoin

EDIT: I was just reading through the official criminal complaint, and one of the ways they identified him was through his participation at Mises.org See pages 26 and 32:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/oct/02/silk-road-ross-william-ulbricht-criminal-complaint

Egad!

Intuition is unreliable. Logic and rigor is solid. Einstein did not believe his own theories until he worked them out mathematically. Intuition is a guide. But solid reasoning scales the mountain. Both have their uses.

You mean until he married a woman who could work them out for him.

Alas, Silk Road is no more. The Dread Pirate Roberts is in custody. What's interesting though is that ...

I have the most secure website market in the world with encryption to keep the five largest supercomputers busy for a year, but to get to it, you have to use the Internet, so your messages are passed between and among computers over which you and I have no control. More to the point, we are not selling illegal tropical forest tree woods like Gibson, no, we are dealing in Class One Scheduled Narcotics. But, never fear... they won't catch us... because we are so much smarter! Oh, yes, indeed, we are as clever as all get out... And we have no guns.

You mean until he married a woman who could work them out for him.

He did all the work on General Relativity after he left Mileva. She did not have the chops to do Riemann Tensors.