Keys to Success

Apparently you were finally able to hook up the two Dixie cups and the string that I sent you!

Yes thanks - they're not very practical winterwear though.

I knew I should have included the clothespins...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Roark 'helping' Keating - to me it looks more like a necessary plot device than a manifestation of the hero's empathy:

The poorly performing second-hander Keating is the despicable character against whom Roark's creative genius can stand out in bold relief. So when Roark is 'helping' Keating by looking at his deficient drafts, and then altering them by a few ingenious strokes with his pencil, the reader is taken in by the hero's sheer creativity, which makes the 'scenario of helping' an ancillary means to an end: providing the reader with a performance showing the hero's genius.

In that case blowing up the housing project was a "plot device" rather than a manifestation of his lack of empathy.

--Brant

No doubt blowing up the housing project was a coup de théâtre. As for the act manifesting Roark's lack of empathy - it would interest me whether Rand has ever been interviewed in detail about this scene, and been asked whether she would endorse such an act in real life as well.

I don't think so. Not for public consumption. You can't do this in real life unless you're willing to possibly kill some people. Even in the novel, Dominique almost got it. Ragnar in Atlas couldn't do what he did for a host of reasons, but absent those reasons, he would still have had to kill and maim many, many people. This is one reason Rand kept him mostly in the background. Maybe there was some Errol Flynn influence at work there.

--Brant

Part of the non-thoughtful decline of this list is all the lazy, "twitter"-like, one-liner, half-assed humorous posts --- including this one.

Yeah! You used to write paragraph after paragraph about how OL is just not good enough for you, this going all the way back to your very first post here. Heaven help us, our savior has given up!

Subject 1: Explaining What Should be Obvious (to an Attentive Mind)

(Subject 2: Bad Thinking and Communication - Lazy, Sloppy, Stupid, Out-of-Focus)

> lazy, "twitter"-like, one-liner, half-assed humorous posts --- including this one. [Me]

> Excuse me Phil, my one-liner was in fact profound and resonant of the paradoxical nature of the Maslovian hierarchy of needs. [Daunce]

Clearly Carol-Dauncester, I didn't mean you: Anyone who can put together a phrase like yours above is worth reading. And note all my adjectives*. They are meant conjointly not discretely**. Short can be sweet and not half-assed (no that doesn't include you, brant'nnd).

It should also be obvious to other people than Carol, that -occasional- one liners can be effective. It should be obvious to any half-intelligent reader that what is "twitter"ish and lazy is to -characteristically- respond with one-liners, lame videos and cartoons. And virtually never to post careful, thorough responses in literate, detailed four of five paragraphs of systematic argument.

* I underlined and highlighted some of the points above because I often feel I'm dealing with lazy "skimmers" here.

**If you don't know what those two adverbs mean as applied in this context, please get out a dictionary.

> our savior has given up

The mark of a second-rate mind or personality is a certain quality of sarcastic resentment when pointed criticism is offered.

(Now -that's- a good one-liner!)

Subject 1: Explaining What Should be Obvious (to an Attentive Mind)

(Subject 2: Bad Thinking and Communication - Lazy, Sloppy, Stupid, Out-of-Focus)

> lazy, "twitter"-like, one-liner, half-assed humorous posts --- including this one. [Me]

> Excuse me Phil, my one-liner was in fact profound and resonant of the paradoxical nature of the Maslovian hierarchy of needs. [Daunce]

Clearly Carol-Dauncester, I didn't mean you: Anyone who can put together a phrase like yours above is worth reading. And note all my adjectives*. They are meant conjointly not discretely**. Short can be sweet and not half-assed (no that doesn't include you, brant'nnd).

It should also be obvious to other people than Carol, that -occasional- one liners can be effective. It should be obvious to any half-intelligent reader that what is "twitter"ish and lazy is to -characteristically- respond with one-liners, lame videos and cartoons. And virtually never to post careful, thorough responses in literate, detailed four of five paragraphs of systematic argument.

* I underlined and highlighted some of the points above because I often feel I'm dealing with lazy "skimmers" here.

**If you don't know what those two adverbs mean as applied in this context, please get out a dictionary.

Needing another "fix," eh Phil?*

*[Not meant as a sarcastic one-liner. Meant to be taken literally.]

>going all the way back

To the Big Bang?

--Brant

No, I think we’re dealing here with the kind of retrocausality that Richard Feynman invoked to explain the behavior of antimatter. Meaning, Phil is more easily explained, causally, by reference to the future heat-death of the universe than to its unthinkably energetic beginnings.

http://en.wikipedia..../Retrocausality

> our savior has given up

The mark of a second-rate mind or personality is a certain quality of sarcastic resentment when pointed criticism is offered.

(Now -that's- a good one-liner!)

Since you offer no data I'm assuming you've used introspection to arrive at this conclusion.

--Brant

for a while no one was attacking anybody, at least on this thread, but it seems Phil got bored (see his #49) and all of a sudden it's "all about Phil" again, never mind he started the thread

> Needing another "fix," eh Phil?*

Need another snarky remark, eh, PDS, rather than addressing the points made?

> for a while no one was attacking anybody, at least on this thread, but it seems Phil got bored

Said by the master of the stupid, lazy one-liner.

> It's 14 posts devoted to you

Once again, pointing out the obvious:

If idiots like you make posts devoted to attacking me, you are to blame for not posting on the issues.

> It's 14 posts devoted to you

Once again, pointing out the obvious:

If idiots like you make posts devoted to attacking me, you are to blame for not posting on the issues.

Issues? What issues? I don't need no stinkin' issues!"

--Brant

I would think that would be obvious:

the place to insert a comment like this --> "Part of the non-thoughtful decline of this list is all the lazy, "twitter"-like, one-liner, half-assed humorous posts --- including this one." -- is right where it happens. Immediately after a whole string of evidence proving exactly what I'm talking about.

If people resent that kind of comment, then they should stop doing the kind of action that warrants it. (Again, that should be obvious.)

If people resent that kind of comment, then she should stop doing the kind of action that warrants it.

Such as posting videos.

(Again, that should be obvious.)

Here's what's obvious, Phil:

the place to insert a comment like this --> "Part of the non-thoughtful decline of this list is all the lazy, "twitter"-like, one-liner, half-assed humorous posts --- including this one." -- is right where it happens. Immediately after a whole string of evidence proving exactly what I'm talking about.

If people resent that kind of comment, then they should stop doing the kind of action that warrants it. (Again, that should be obvious.)

Sorry; there was only Adam and Carol exchanging two posts of banter. It would seem you read nothing between your post 33 and them. Then your #49 spiked the discussion of empathy, which I grant you was running out of steam. It would have been more appropriate and perhaps productive if you had tried to get the thread back on its original track.

--Brant

Sorry; there was only Adam and Carol exchanging two posts of banter. It would seem you read nothing between your post 33 and them. Then your #49 spiked the discussion of empathy, which I grant you was running out of steam. It would have been more appropriate and perhaps productive if you had tried to get the thread back on its original track.

--Brant

Phil!! will you not get it, you are not in the Ford Hall here, you are in a diner, an arts cafe, a hangout. You will be interrupted and heckled and talked over, by people who know you and like you and are used to you, and yes you will make your points, and take your lumps, like everyone elsel.

Carol

Schoolmarm on break

Wow...A Walter Cronkite moment on OL!

If Mr. Coates has lost Carol...