Surviving Army Basic Training

Here's the skinny on what our young men & women should expect, how to prepare, and get through the 8 weeks of the U.S. Army's initial, basic training. One will definitely need to be mentally & physically fit to graduate and go on to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

Some things haven't changed since I remember it back in '68.

You never forget that experience...it is shock therapy for any 18-21 yr. old.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/aaarmybasic1.htm

I took basic at Ft. Ord, CA in 1964. Now closed. Most beautiful army base in the world. Maybe. Right on the Pacific ocean.

Things simpler then.

But I remember, "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this one's for fun."

I once gave a shot of hemoglobin to a guy in the ass. First you slap the ass to make the muscle relax. Then you drive the needle home. It had to go in the ass because there was so much crap to inject. The problem is the sciatic nerve. It's in the ass but you don't know where. Here, there, everywhere. So you just jab in the needle and hope for the best. I no longer remember what that shot was for (hepatitis), only that it was preventative--supposedly.

--Brant

Brant,

Wish I could have done basic in Ft. Ord. The weather there must have been decent.

With all that gear and clothing on I was suffering in the humidity of Ft. Jackson, S. Carolina...in the freakin summer.

And of course there was no ac in the barracks. Guess they were getting us ready for the Nam climate.

-J

Let's see--100 men/women--is it coed now?--enter army Basic Training ("Boot Camp"?--WTF?) and how many "survive"?

All of them?

About 1/3 of the guys in Basic Training with me dropped dead. Things were a lot tougher back in the good old days.

--Brant

another third eventually were killed by the food, I heard--and most of the rest by C-ration 10yo cigarettes

I'm all that's left

I did mine at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. I remember the worst day as doing exercises in the August heat, in full uniforms when a rainstorm approached. We were ordered to put our ponchos on. Everyone immediately started to sweat at an incredible pace. The retained heat was terrible. No one passed out but I was close to it. We were watched closely by three drill sergeants. I honestly think they were looking to see who could not handle the heat of Vietnam.

Let's see--100 men/women--is it coed now?--enter army Basic Training ("Boot Camp"?--WTF?) and how many "survive"?

All of them?

About 1/3 of the guys in Basic Training with me dropped dead. Things were a lot tougher back in the good old days.

--Brant

another third eventually were killed by the food, I heard--and most of the rest by C-ration 10yo cigarettes

I'm all that's left

Ah, c-rations. My mouth is watering.

Add to your list of killers an item commonly referred to as "SOS" (shit on a shingle).

It was served hot, looked like a pate with eggs and some something resembling meat mixed in it. Never ate it...the looks & smell saw to that.

-J

I did mine at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. I remember the worst day as doing exercises in the August heat, in full uniforms when a rainstorm approached. We were ordered to put our ponchos on. Everyone immediately started to sweat at an incredible pace. The retained heat was terrible. No one passed out but I was close to it. We were watched closely by three drill sergeants. I honestly think they were looking to see who could not handle the heat of Vietnam.

I can relate to that.

Worst day I can remember was when we, the entire company, did an 8 mile force march (not a walk), out into the woods, during the summer with full gear (rifle included). It was a push. Midway thru the trek gas grenades were lobbed by the D.I.'s into the formation. The longer it took to get your mask on the more intense the burning of the eyes & lungs was. Add to that many of us were heaving as well...and all thru that the DI's were shouting orders at us.

"I didn't hate Vietnam, but loved "leaving on a jet plane."

I felt the same way about Japan.

There was much I liked there, but after 20 months in the "Land of the Rising Sun", the plane ride back home was sweet...my Army stint had ended.

-J