TOC generously feeds both intellectuals and parasites

Michael Stuart Kelly

Παντές άνθροποι του ειδεναι ορεγοται φυσει.

Πλην οἱ πτωχοὶ τῶ πνεύματι!

Translations please! Or I’m calling in the Daleks and the Cybermen. Then you’ll be sorry.

dalek02.gifcybermen13.gif

Παντές άνθροποι του ειδεναι ορεγοται φυσει.

Πλην οἱ πτωχοὶ τῶ πνεύματι!

I haven't read anything like this in nearly 40 years....but shouldn't that have been

Πλην οἱ πτωχοὶ τῶV πνεύματι!

?

Maybe not...but what I take away from it (very loosely) is this:

EH: All men aspire to know what is real (the physical).

DF: Except for the poor in spirit.

Edited by Steve Gagne

I haven't read anything like this in nearly 40 years....but shouldn't that have been

?

No (it's a dativus singularis), although I wanted in fact an omega with a iota subscriptum and couldn't find it at first: τῷ.

Okay, as I said, nearly 40 years....just thought that it was being used in the sense of a prepositional phrase.

BTW how did you get the Greek to begin with?

Edited by Steve Gagne

http://translation.babylon.com/Greek

translates Πλην οἱ πτωχοὶ τῶV πνεύματι as "Other than οἱ πτωχοὶ τῶV spirit".

Ed's doesn't translate at all. This is boring, and meanwhile, SLOP is on fire, you have to check it out. Look for the latest by this child: Moron4.jpg he's so funny it's beyond description. hysterical.gif

He looks like one of the boys from South Park! Anyway, Robert just posted saying "no mas", so looks like the fun's over. "When I conclude that a poster is talking out his fundamental aperture, I quit responding to him." clap.gif

EDIT: Beautiful victory lap by Jabba, he's trying to get the fire started again, will RC take the bait? Who doesn't love a cliffhanger!

Anyway, if no one posts a translation of all this Greek I'm going to eschew my Enlightenment values and go Medieval on someone's ass.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

?

No (it's a dativus singularis), although I wanted in fact an omega with a iota subscriptum and couldn't find it at first: τῷ.

Okay, as I said, nearly 40 years....just thought that it was being used in the sense of a prepositional phrase.

BTW how did you get the Greek to begin with?

First a sigh of pure satisfaction.

This is why OL is such a great place. How many other places on the 'Net could you find discussions of the niceties of Greek grammar?

Even if like Michael and Cassius, "it's all Greek to me".

Ιεφρει Σμιθ

You wouldn't laugh if you knew he was a lawyer.

(I think he passed the bar but don't recall him saying so.)

--Brant

I don't know, but they say that there are very few Irish lawyers because they can't pass the bar...

Adam

tucks, ducks, rolls, comes up with weapon drawn and full shields up! star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

ND,

Nope, fire's not going to start again.

I told Mr. Perigo that he's welcome to critique my article, if he wants to.

I'm done with Mr. Moeller's illiterate rants.

Mr. Moeller may be trying to exemplify the adage about sharks not biting lawyers, out of professional courtesy.

I should think that before extending their courtesy, the sharks look for skill as well as motivation. Mr. Moeller is sorely deficient in the former.

RC

Dennis,

Michael Moeller is a bully (or bully wannabe).

Objectivism attracts these types.

I am in the first stages of an article on this kind of mindset in Objectivism (and out). I intend to call it: "The Dictatorship of the Soul: Hero Worship in Lockstep."

This is not a quip. That's the real title.

I believe something really bad happens when people put an actual human being in the place of where their world view should be. This is not to say that such people don't have a world view, just that their world view is in the wrong place. World view should be the first place underlying everything the person does and values, but the image of a live person (or one who once lived) is in that fundamental place.

Look what happened to Germany when they did this, for a real obvious example.

PARC is even the spiritual progeny of this kind of thinking.

More later.

Michael

"The Dictatorship of the Soul: Hero Worship in Lockstep."

Great title, sounds very promising. Obligatory emoticon: kneel.gif

I know I've started to overdo it.

Look what happened to Germany when they did this, for a real obvious example.

Jesus is an even more apt reference. With him, the really bad stuff started long after he was dead. Comparing Rand to Hitler is over the top, tread lightly.

4054.jpg

Robert: I'm of two minds on the SLOP wars, it's entertaining to watch, but I know I'd have walked long ago.

My quote is the first line of Aristotle's Metaphysics : Pantes anthropoi tou eidenai oregontai physei or "All men desire to know by nature."

Ah, Ancient Greek, no wonder the translation program didn't work.

My quote is the first line of Aristotle's Metaphysics : Pantes anthropoi tou eidenai oregontai physei or "All men desire to know by nature."

Ah, Ancient Greek, no wonder the translation program didn't work.

Why do you think I said 'heh heh'...? because knew the translations are for modern Greek [whereas I took Ancient Greek when in college, just so could read Aristotle and Aristophenes ;-)]

Ed's doesn't translate at all.

So Dragonfly's response makes even more sense.

"BY nature." Aha.

(Never did like them prepositions.....)

Edited by Steve Gagne

Ed's doesn't translate at all.

So Dragonfly's response makes even more sense.

"BY nature." Aha.

(Never did like them prepositions.....)

Yep...kinda like man qua man or something.

Adam