Atlas Shrugged Producer John Aglialoro on Ayn Rand's Enduring Impact

Maybe we should do Atlas as a Porgey and Bess Opera...

Lotsa dancin and singin ....

Just your regular inner city "Warsaw "ghetto" motiff and we can make all the black folk Jewish.

A kinda light hearted Atlas...more sensitive and understanding of the victims, with. or. without sanctions.

There could be a rap section, a kinda inner city Ho down...

A...

Saw I and really enjoyed it. First Dagny was excellent as far as I was concerned.

When they stabbed her in the back, I vowed by my life and my love of it, that I would not see II or III.

Glad I didn;t.

Post Script: They really wrote in riots in the street around Hank's trial? Despicable.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they could have made a decent Classic Comic (in three parts) out of Atlas.

--Brant

so why not a movie?--money needed = money men needed (Howard Hughes had some talent and a lot of money and control)

Over my head. What is a Classic Comic?

Howard Hughes made terrible movies.

Just Google it. You'll get much better info than I could give you.

HH made them his way. You could also say he made some terrible airplanes. They almost killed him. The Hercules was ridiculous as an idea and out the door (but I loved it anyway). He also ended up a complete nut case.

--Brant

... half-naked Dagny, more torture.

Which half? Top or bottom...left or right ... front or back ....

Oh, Saint Ayn help me make this a rational decision based on values...

then Dagny bent over to pick up a flower and the rest is a blur...

Film at 11!

A...

Film at 11!

A...

lol There goes the coffee on the desk.

No blurs here though.

Film at 11!

A...

lol There goes the coffee on the desk.

No blurs here though.

Plausible deniability....

Atlas 3 official website: 85 theaters 65 theaters 13 theaters

Wow, 13 theaters here in LV? or is it nationwide?(not). Pathetic, or as JMac often said "You cannot be serious"

-J

Alabama

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California

Colorado (2) Highlands Ranch, Lakewood [Denver suburbs]

Connecticut
D.C.
Delaware
Florida (1) Oviedo [pop. 33,342]
Georgia (2) Newnan [Atlanta], Snellville [pop. 18,242]
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota (1) Oakdale [st. Paul suburb, pop. 27,378]
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada (3) Las Vegas [2], Reno [1]
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas (1) Plano
Utah (1) Lehi [near Salt Lake, pop. 47,407]
Vermont
Virginia
Washington (2) Kennewick [pop. 73,917], Tukwila [seattle suburb, pop. 19,107]
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

I started digging and, on TV Tropes, there is a category called Character Filibuster. Lots and lots and lots of example, some better than others (and some weak). Galt's speech is considered there the granddaddy of them all.

One author I did not see mentioned was Marquis de Sade (but maybe I missed it). I read Justine when I was younger (those were the days :smile: ). Back then I remember I got real tired of the three part formula after a while:

1. Escape and capture

2. Long-ass philosophical discussions

3. Show time :smile:

It repeats like that over and over.

btw - The Grand Inquisitor parable in The Brothers Karamazov is practically a philosophical rant à la Galt.

Michael

Just to keep the "literature with long speeches by people other than Rand" idea alive, today I heard a lecture on a book from the 1940's, Native Son by Richard Wright.

I have not read this book (yet), which is about the travails of a poor black man who murders two women in the 1930's, one white and the other black. The lecturer said that in the third part of the book, the trial, there is a 30 page speech presented by the lawyer where the novel grinds to a halt.

That didn't stop the sales. Apparently this was the first fiction bestseller by a black man, so it is a milestone.

If anyone is interested in reading about it, there is a good article on Wikipedia.

Michael

The perfect novel for The Book of the Month Club and its enlightened or wanted to be enlightened readers. It then morphed into the perfect novel for college students courtesy of their (Marxist) professors. White people are to be guilty of black people crimes via racial guilt extirpating an individual's actions?

--Brant

a great book of its time now simply poison: great for whites, especially white racists who got culturally run over in the following decades culminating in the fulminating 1960s, but the inertia helped result in the Great Society and the entitlement of perpetual victimhood now a black icon foisted off on blacks by race hustlers and accepted by most as their right and due because of slavery, Jim Crow and KKK lynchings

as a black truck driver once told me, "I had the misfortune to be born in America"--(not that I won the lottery of just being born much less of being born in the greatest country on earth)

The following comments are from the widely distributed Las Vegas Weekly Magazine (+online). Just about every hotel, 7-11, Walmart

and Starbucks distributes them, no charge. Considering the amount of people visiting here at any one time, I'd say that's a plus. Get them to the book thru publicity generated by the Magazine's review/ letters to the editor.

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/ae/film/2014/sep/10/film-review-atlas-shrugged-who-is-john-galt/

Yeah, however think about how much those collectible Atlas III CD's will bring at the local Collectible Atlas CD Skeet Range as targets...

http://youtu.be/UYxfeeqo6eo

• 11 months later...

I always liked the stretch in which Dagny ends up killing the guard. It dramatizes the Rand idea that thinking for oneself is necessary for life, with stress on the absoluteness of life or death.

No, it does not dramatize that idea. That may be what Rand intended, but, as written, it dramatizes Dagny being a bully, ignoring the guard's individual context -- the nature of his job, the reality of his rank and his lack of specific knowledge and power -- and wasting valuable time dishing out a forced morality lesson that is being applied totally illogically. The scene was a mistake, or, as Ellen says, an unnecessary indulgence. It contradicts both the morality and the aesthetic tone of the novel.

J

Frankly, I wish the guard had said to Dagny, "Are you here to rescue him? I want to help."

--Brant

American guards are much better people than Soviet guards, even in AS

Reviewing the entirety of this old thread, I found this gem. Heh.

--Brant

damn, I'm good!

What if the guard had revealed himself not to have evaded "the responsibility of consciousness" but, "I'm sorry lady. I can't let you in"?

--Brant

And not a bad follow up.

--Brant

egomaniac

(that's enough; I'm not going through the remaining 200 posts)

• 2 weeks later...