Jonathan Pollard

Marc

Washington, DC, December 14, 2012 – When Naval Investigative Service analyst Jonathan Pollard spied for Israel in 1984 and 1985, his Israeli handlers asked primarily for nuclear, military and technical information on the Arab states, Pakistan, and the Soviet Union – not on the United States – according to the newly-declassified CIA 1987 damage assessment of the Pollard case, published today by the National Security Archive at George Washington University (www.nsarchive.org).

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB407/

The CIA denied release of most of the Pollard damage assessment in 2006, claiming for example that pages 18 through 165 were classified in their entirety and not a line of those pages could be released. The Archive appealed the CIA's decision to the Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel, established by President Clinton in 1995 and continued by Presidents Bush and Obama. The ISCAP showed its value yet again as a check on systemic overclassification by ordering release of scores of pages from the Pollard damage assessment that were previously withheld by CIA, and published today for the first time.

Washington, DC, December 14, 2012 – When Naval Investigative Service analyst Jonathan Pollard spied for Israel in 1984 and 1985, his Israeli handlers asked primarily for nuclear, military and technical information on the Arab states, Pakistan, and the Soviet Union – not on the United States – according to the newly-declassified CIA 1987 damage assessment of the Pollard case, published today by the National Security Archive at George Washington University (www.nsarchive.org).

The CIA denied release of most of the Pollard damage assessment in 2006, claiming for example that pages 18 through 165 were classified in their entirety and not a line of those pages could be released. The Archive appealed the CIA's decision to the Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel, established by President Clinton in 1995 and continued by Presidents Bush and Obama. The ISCAP showed its value yet again as a check on systemic overclassification by ordering release of scores of pages from the Pollard damage assessment that were previously withheld by CIA, and published today for the first time.

Hey , thanks so much ! I was just browsing through and I want to read all of it !!!!!

Hey , thanks so much ! I was just browsing through and I want to read all of it !!!!!

I had not been following it with any detail either, however this looked like a worthwhile site.

I did not realize that he was collecting intelligence on the Muslim countries...quite intriguing. Made me think of the Sean Connery movie where they have him the MI5 British Spy branch in Alcatraz for decades.

A...

1984:

The documents provided information on PLO headquarters in Tunisia; specific capabilities of Tunisian and Libyan air defense systems; Iraqi and Syrian chemical warfare productions capabilities (including detailed satellite imagery); Soviet arms shipments to Syria and other Arab states; naval forces, port facilities, and lines of communication of various Middle Eastern and North African countries; the MiG-29 fighter; and Pakistan's nuclear program. Also included was a U.S. assessment of Israeli military capabilities.4

See there were no WMD programs...oops...apparently there were and many of us know that...

I had not been following it with any detail either, however this looked like a worthwhile site.

I did not realize that he was collecting intelligence on the Muslim countries...quite intriguing. Made me think of the Sean Connery movie where they have him the MI5 British Spy branch in Alcatraz for decades.

A...

I just remember that his whole issue was the "level playing field " mantra and that the United States wanted Israel and the Arab world to basically equal the others military strength

Would Michael please correct the spelling in the thread's title? Thx.

Done, although I kinda like the word Johnathan.

:smile:

As to substance, I'm going to read up on the guy later and comment.

Michael

Really interesting 30 year story .