you couldn't make this one up...

moralist

This isn't humor.

This is religious war mockery.

Those people in Mecca did not go there to do evil. They were on a peaceful pilgrimage--trying to do good as they understood it. Agree or disagree with them, they did not go there out of hatred.

I love ya' Greg, but this is not fun. It's on par with people hostile to the USA laughing at videos of victims running from the collapsing buildings on 9/11. (I actually saw this.)

I'm going to leave it here for now because others have slung a lot of crap at your religion and laughed, but this one gets no Charlie Chaplin award. Not funny.

And if the hatred goes too far in the discussion, I'll put it in the Garbage Pile.

Michael

Michael writes:

I love ya' Greg, but this is not fun. It's on par with people hostile to the USA laughing at videos of victims running from the collapsing buildings on 9/11. (I actually saw this.)

Do you know what the difference is, Michael?

911 wasn't self inflicted.

It was the act of a real enemy

The Mecca stampede was.

People did it to themselves.

The act of "Stoning the Devil" is driven by the unreasonable angry blame (unjust accusation) of an inanimate external object. Large groups always contain an inherent self inflicted lethal potential.

In a broader sense, it's a good reason not to live in a city.

Greg

Greg,

For a silly as you or I may find the ritual, I found the deaths about as hilarious as the people who die in stampedes during a Black Friday sale. I could come up with a lot of other examples here in America if I wanted to search.

People being killed due to a crowd out of control is not funny.

This was not one of your finer moments. I consider you better than this.

Michael

Greg, Yours is a travesty of cause and effect. I don't know what is worse, your irrational, inhuman amusement, or the frigging imam who pronounced that this was the will of god. At least you should know better. Leave it alone man, you've gone too far.

Michael writes:

Do you know what the difference is, Michael?

911 wasn't self inflicted.

It was the act of a real enemy

The Mecca stampede was.

People did it to themselves.

The act of "Stoning the Devil" is driven by the unreasonable angry blame (unjust accusation) of an inanimate external object. Large groups always contain an inherent self inflicted lethal potential.

In a broader sense, it's a good reason not to live in a city.

Greg

I suppose, then, that if a group of Christians were performing the Stations of the Cross in a large church, and one of them were to trip over another who was in a wheel chair, dropping his candle and accidentally lighting a dusty, dry old tapestry on fire which resulted in a flash fire which burned down the church and killed several stampeding people, death-lusting douchelord Greg would laugh and call it a self-inflicted bit of justice.

What a shit bag.

J

Michael writes:

Can you see the disconnect in your statement, Michael? What you perceive as two separate things is actually only one. The crowd and the people are one so what they do to themselves can only be self Inflicted mass suicide.

lemmings-off-a-cliff.gif

Stoning the Devil... Death to America... Death to Israel... it's all the same mass lunacy.

Greg

Can you see the disconnect in your statement, Michael?

Greg,

I can't because I don't take humorous pleasure in the pain and suffering of my fellow humans. You did post this in Humor and mocked.

If this story were fiction, I wouldn't mind. I might even laugh. Benevolent humor happens with distance to real suffering, but sadistic mockery prefers closeness. And I'm not that.

These people actually died.

If your religion results in cultivating a sadistic soul, I'll take The Three Stooges any day. They are more spiritual.

I really like you, but this one is serious.

Michael

Michael writes:

Can you see the disconnect in your statement, Michael? What you perceive as two separate things is actually only one. The crowd and the people are one so what they do to themselves can only be self Inflicted mass suicide.

lemmings-off-a-cliff.gif

Stoning the Devil... Death to America... Death to Israel... it's all the same mass lunacy.

Greg

Why is lunacy causing death funny?

(rhetorical question)

--Brant

the world doesn't wonder

I understand that no one sees the absurdity of collective lunacy as long as you believe in the falsity of disconnect...

...that the crowd and the people are two completely separate things, and that the peoples' chosen actions and their self inflicted consequences have absolutely NO connection to each other.

That dying from throwing stones at the devil is not absurd... when the truth is that the devil is throwing the stones.

That in itself is even more absurd.

Greg

Greg

Moron,

The "Stoning of the Devil" has existed long before the existence of America, just as the Christian practice of denouncing capitalism and commerce as "theft" and "robbery" has as well. The Stoning of the Devil has nothing to do with America.

And at least the pilgrimaging Muslims were only symbolically stoning evil by flinging pebbles at walls or pillars, and weren't doing anything so irrational, unjust and stupid as following the Bible's advocacy of stoning people to death.

I understand that no one sees the absurdity of collective lunacy as long as you believe in the falsity of disconnect...

...that the crowd and the people are two completely separate things, and that the peoples' chosen actions and their self inflicted consequences have absolutely NO connection to each other.

That dying from throwing stones at the devil is not absurd... when the truth is that the devil is throwing the stones.

That in itself is even more absurd.

Greg

Heh. YOU are the absurdity. You are a moron, a hater, and a nutjob. You are incapable of logic and of rational thought. You're massively, excessively stupid and vicious. I've known many Muslims who are significantly better human beings than you are. You are a nasty, festering lump of shit.

J

Greg,

You are better than this political spin-talk. You used to be...

I don't believe in laughing at people dying.

Do you?

Like, say, if those dying are Muslims? That's funny to you?

If you do find it funny, we have vastly different souls.

It has nothing to do with "absurdity of collective lunacy," "falsity of disconnect" and all this other garbage language.

Real death of human beings is not funny to me.

I'm a simple man.

Michael

YOU are the absurdity. You are a moron, a hater, and a nutjob. You are incapable of logic and of rational thought. You're massively, excessively stupid and vicious. I've known many Muslims who are significantly better human beings than you are. You are a nasty, festering lump of shit.

Jonathan,

Can you please tone this down?

I get the anger, but this kind of discourse will get others doing it.

Thanks.

Michael

Jonathan writes:

I've known many Muslims who are significantly better human beings than you are.

As do I... and they all share a common quality.

They are "bad" Muslims. :wink:

Greg

So then you're a "bad" Christian because you arbitrarily select which parts of Christianity to believe it?

No, wait, that would make sense. That would be logical, so it can't be what you believe.

J

Michael writes:

It doesn't matter whose fault is anything.

Fair enough, Michael.

You don't care whose fault it was that those people died...

...and I do, because it's their own fault.

This is the difference between our two views.

Thanks for putting this into the garbage. :smile:

This is my last post in this thread.

Greg

I wish this wasn't still in the Humour section.

If somebody put up a shocking picture of the Hillsborough disaster and then laughed about it and put in smileys and wrote that the crushed dead deserved their fate, would that send this thread where it belongs? I am seeing seven cautions for Greg, one caution for Jonathan., and do not understand why Greg cannot graciously accept the cautions, or at least understand why people find his topic treatment poor judgment (if not disgusting, or evidence for a perverse, ugly character).

Greg's nasty tactics drag this forum closer to SOLO jerkoff territory sometimes, in my opinion. I object here and there when I can do so without undue rancor.

Objectivist Living, good vibes, good times, good people, where you can laugh at life's disasters and praise God on high.

Greg, might you apologize to the good people of OL for an error in judgment?