Sickening treatment of vets

Jules Troy

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/23/us/phoenix-va-deaths-new-allegations/index.html?c=&page=1

This just makes me angry what they have done to the men and women that have sacrificed so much already.

Those men and women were sacrificed by the government.

That is the nature of government. No matter how well it starts out, it ends up with human sacrifice.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Where are the criminal indictments?

Curious that congressmen never have this issue.

Specifically, which issue?

I can only speak for myself regarding my experience with the VA here in Las Vegas.

Yes, it is a disgrace that many vets have been subjected to mis-treatment & denied quick care. It angers me.

The doctors, medical assistants & office staff have treated me well. Actually, better than well. Others I have spoken too are in agreement. This includes Air Force personnel from the nearby Nellis AF Base, as well as "older" vets. You can choose your primary care physician... and all physicians I've encounter are Board Certified.

Appointments are granted quickly and the wait time not long.

A new hospital was built about 2 yrs. ago where all specialties, including lab & a long term care facility, are housed there... all under one roof. Add to that they have the very latest in medical equipment.

http://www.lasvegas.va.gov/new_hospital/New_Las_Vegas_Hospital_Nursing_Home.asp

I have to wonder, if a man is urinating blood and is near death, why would he continue to wait for a primary care appointment at a healthcare facility that clearly could not accomodate him? Why wouldn't he go to another facility?

I'm not trying to beat up on veterans. Perhaps I don't understand the VA healthcare system. Does it preclude veterans from getting care at non-VA facilities?

I have to wonder, if a man is urinating blood and is near death, why would he continue to wait for a primary care appointment at a healthcare facility that clearly could not accomodate him? Why wouldn't he go to another facility?

I'm not trying to beat up on veterans. Perhaps I don't understand the VA healthcare system. Does it preclude veterans from getting care at non-VA facilities?

Veteran's benefits don't cover treatment at non-VA facilities, so the reason they don't go anywhere else is that they can't afford to.

Deanna:

Disregarding the incomplete and misleading answer that the tree urchin [birch tree} just posted supra, the prevailing de facto manner in which the VA operates actually answers your question:

I am a veteran that uses the VA regularly.

For non-emergency problems you must go to a VA Hospital or VA Clinic. Since it is not life threatening they will either make you an appointment or have you wait until a doctor can see you between appointment.

For emergency medical reasons (life threatening) like a heart attack etc. you are to go to the nearest Emergency Medical facility (Hospital), civilian or Military. The VA will pay for this care. There is a string attached though.

The string is: If you have not seen your assigned VA doctor in 2 yrs or more the VA will not pay.
Source:
1st hand knowledge.

A...

It speaks well of you that you don't understand this. Mean bastards know how it works. Treat people like shit they feel like shit. Eventually they feel they are shit and they will put up with anything.

This website looks touchy feely enough to be accurate and it has links...

http://www.caring.com/questions/veterans-benefits-emergecy-care-coverage

According to the VA web site, urgent and limited emergency care services are available to enrolled veterans at VA health care facilities or non-VA health care facilities at which See also:
Type 2 Diabetes: Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome

See all 228 questions about VA Medical Benefits
VA has a sharing agreement or contract. Veterans with special eligibility may obtain emergency care, at VA expense, in a non-VA facility where VA does not have a sharing agreement or contract. For more information, please contact the VA nearest you. To find the nearest facility, visit the facility page click on your state, and the VA medical centers will be listed along with phone numbers.

There are many ways that a Veteran may qualify to receive top-notch VA health care at over 1,400 medical centers and clinics across the nation. If you are a Veteran, and you want low-cost, high-quality health care, please take a moment to see if you qualify

I started a thread which will contain VA news releases.

Just deleting the duplicate here.

• 3 weeks later...

Past & present military entered into a contract with the Gov. I signed on the dotted line...& so did the volunteers.

Military benefits are spelled out.

The mistreated surviving vets & active military honored their agreement.

The contract is being breached by the Feds. It's a shovel of shit thrown in the faces of those needing what was agreed to upon by both parties.

As I posted on another thread, both I and a number of other vets/ active duty personnel I've spoken with are generally pleased with the care they have received.

I'm glad though the spotlight is on this issue.....it should right much of the wrong done to some of the best men & women this country has.

:smile:

Vets went to hospitals built, owned and run by the government, and were treated by doctors and nurses hired, paid and supervised by the government.

The only surprising thing about this story is that people seem surprised by the outcome.

Many of the vets had little choice. They were too poor to afford private medical care which is generally run at a profit.

Our government drafted these poor sods, exposed them to unspeakable risk and pain and then when the wars were over dropped them onto the sidewalks.

Ba'al Chatzaf

When "free" care is part of the package deal, naturally you grab what you're "owed." What's ridiculous is the idea that Sovietized medicine will work as long 100% red-blooded Amuricans are running the show.

Again, you are becoming more and more transparent.

You choose to rage.

Be my guest.

I will selectively respond because, frankly, you are getting tedious.

I respect your knowledge, however, it now ends there,

A...

When "free" care is part of the package deal, naturally you grab what you're "owed." What's ridiculous is the idea that Sovietized medicine will work as long 100% red-blooded Amuricans are running the show.

Free?? Free implies that it costs you nothing in return.They owned me 24/7. After humping day & night during training...not easy, I can assure you, I put in in 10 hour days in a foreign country providing support for our troops in Nam. Did you serve?

-J

Free?? Free implies that it costs you nothing in return.They owned me 24/7. After humping day & night during training...not easy, I can assure you, I put in in 10 hour days in a foreign country providing support for our troops in Nam. Did you serve?

-J

I should have used large bold type on the quotation marks around "free." Sorry for the mix-up.

Because of a medical condition, I did not qualify to become one of the troops. I was given the lowly task of sending a portion of my paycheck to Washington each week for the purchase of M16 cartridges, Agent Orange and other supplies needed to defeat those who threatened to destroy the freedom we enjoyed in America during LBJ's administration.

Because of a medical condition, I did not qualify to become one of the troops. I was given the lowly task of sending a portion of my paycheck to Washington each week for the purchase of M16 cartridges, Agent Orange and other supplies needed to defeat those who threatened to destroy the freedom we enjoyed in America during LBJ's administration.

You poor baby.

Did it hurt as much to have a "...portion of your paycheck..." severed from you as, say, a portion of a soldier's leg, arm, mind?

Where is your perspective?

How could you rationally offer that un-cute and un-clever statement.

What the hell is wrong with you?

• baby-graphics-crying-002093.gif
  • baby-graphics-crying-533424.gif
  • baby-graphics-crying-565299.gif
  • baby-graphics-crying-135521.gif
  • baby-graphics-crying-412714.gif
  • baby-graphics-crying-525746.gif
  • baby-graphics-crying-319871.gif

A...