Third World Objectivism: A Young Indian Reflects on the Meaning of Rand on the anniversary of her death - appears in The Freeman

Selene

"Ayn Rand died on this day, 32 years ago. Today, young Indians are snapping up her books at a surprising rate."

Well, finally, Rand is attracting modern folks of color.

I say this to get your attention because I have always been astounded about the virtual bleached white audience that I saw at NBI in the 60's.

My group attracted only two persons of color, a.k.a. individual US Citizens.

This author has good story telling style. He moves from the opening quote to:

It’s an apparent contradiction. Howard Roark, The Fountainhead’s main character, is a man with strong principles. But he’s also arrogant. Here in India, humility is considered the fundamental moral virtue. He might have been put away for a very long time had he lived here. In any event, he could not have reached many people through rational arguments, due to what Rand described as “the mystic muck of India.”It’s an apparent contradiction. Howard Roark, The Fountainhead’s main character, is a man with strong principles. But he’s also arrogant. Here in India, humility is considered the fundamental moral virtue. He might have been put away for a very long time had he lived here. In any event, he could not have reached many people through rational arguments, due to what Rand described as “the mystic muck of India.”

However, the author notes:

... for many young Indian men and women, Howard Roark epitomizes individualism and strength of character. And much to the chagrin of their boyfriends, many women want their men to be more like Howard Roark. A college mate once told me, “Women do not know that it is not possible for a man to be Howard Roark. He can only pretend to be Howard Roark. Hell, he can’t even pretend to be Howard Roark.”

After, touching on the pro-marxist past of India's government, the author percieves a contradiction and states that. :

No one seems to know why Ayn Rand is becoming so popular in India. India has a huge population, but even today, English-language fiction is read by a minority elite. It is true that Ayn Rand wrote popular fiction. Karl Marx’s prose is dense. But that still does not explain why Rand outsells even many well-known Indian writers and best-selling western writers in Indian markets. Even in the United States, where various strands of thought have found their own niche, Rand’s views are considered way outside the mainstream. It is a minor miracle that she could build a whole movement in a western capitalistic democracy. But why is she becoming increasingly popular in societies that bear no resemblance whatsoever to whatever ideal society she had in her mind?

Well worth the read. Fixed.

I remember Rand changing her mind about the rationality of Indian music after an Indian explained it to her. Indian music is very complex, though to me it is too monotonous.

It is strange to say Indians are persons of color because more than any other group, Indians REQUIRE that one forget about pigeon - holing people according to their skin color. I know the movie version of "Gunga Din" painted him as a rag wearing simpleton and it is unfortunate that generations of Americans did not know any better. I am glad to see Carl Sagan, Raj, and Mindy are helping to change pop culture. Their cause has never been picked up by the left wing media so they are on their own. But in freedom they will prosper.

Selene, your link is self-referencing. Fixed.

MJ:

I am not understanding your post. Self-referncing means?

A...

"Self-referencing" means the link (1) goes nowhere, (2) points to the page it's on, or (3) is mirror-like. Click on it. Click on my first one and you go to where I believe you intended.

Thanks Merlin, yes I wanted to get to the Freeman.

Hmmm, obviously I made a mistake in transferring it.

Good to have you around.