Suicide and Reasons to Live

Ed Hudgins

I don't believe this to be the case, but celebrities in general are in a way public property. Taking one's life (I use that idiom intentionally) might be a way of taking "back" your identity even at the expense of losing your life.

In Robin Williams case it was probably brought by depression, but how did that depression began in the first place? What gave space for that depression not only to arise but to consume him?

Are suicides more noticeable in famous people or do they actually occur more often in accomplished, smarter, or wealthier individuals under pressure or crisis of identity?

I am reminded of these examples:

Venice (Veneto actually) wants to secede from Italy because of the high taxes imposed on the Province, and a rise in suicides has been cited as one of the evidences for the silent oppression.

Hungarians and Czechs are the (as measured in IQ) smartest and most atheist peoples in Europe respectively, and they have some of the highest levels of suicides in the World. In the case of Hungarians they exceed the Japanese (whose culture is purportedly so tolerant of suicide)

Many people in Vienna killed themselves the night before Anschluss in a spontaneous massive act of resignation.

Hannah Arendt talks about how assimilated Jews cling to life as the highest value to protect and preserve until some, suddenly, commit suicide. I have noticed this phenomenon n too many family histories of fully assimilated Western Jews.

The South Park episode about Britney Spears being sacrificed for the corn harvest much like a Vestal Virgin.

"It's a hell of a thing, taking your life. To take away all you've got, and all you're ever gonna have".

(Apologies to 'Will Munny')

It could also be the end of unbearable and intractable pain.

Ba'al Chatzaf

"It's a hell of a thing, taking your life. To take away all you've got, and all you're ever gonna have".

(Apologies to 'Will Munny')

It could also be the end of unbearable and intractable pain.

Ba'al Chatzaf

On Rand's basis of one most needing a rational and selfish morality if castaway on a deserted island--certainly, Bob. Then, too.