Symbolic Still Life

Newberry

jssunsetE.jpg

Michael Newberry, John's Sunset, 2010, charcoal on Rives BFK, 18 x 25 inches

This is one of the drawings in the upcoming exhibition Symbolic Still Life opening April 24, 2010

John’s Sunset

One December 19th, 2009 my older brother John was found dead floating in the Pacific Ocean, in the area between La Jolla Shores and The Cove. There is a foot path that winds along the cliff edge in which you can look down towards the crashing waves and out west to the horizon. I was born about five minutes walk from there. We all grew up as a beach urchins, snooping around every nook and cranny of this small curve of coast. Though my parents are no longer married, December 19th was their anniversary.

Michael Newberry

www.newberrygallery.com/exhibit/still/still.html

Edited by Newberry

Condolences to you on the loss of your brother.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I see your emotions sincerely affects the outcome of your paintings. You are good at expressing your values in this medium. I'd very much like to see your paintings in your happiest moments. But for now, I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by David Lee

Hey guys,

Thanks for your condolences and your benevolent assumptions.

When I was a kid I saw a Latin film on T.V. in which a young boy was playing a violin standing on a straw raft in a dark lake, they were slowly caught up in whirlpool, and disappeared in the murky depths. That image was a tiny influence in John's Sunset.

The object in the glass of water is a decomposing sycamore seed pod.

I spent about 8 hours on this drawing, every second drawing it was eerie. When it was finished, it closed the chapter on my brother.

Michael

NspongeE.jpg

Michael Newberry, Sponge Bath, 2010, charcoal on Rives BFK, 13 x 19 inches

Sponge Bath

A few months ago an artist quit. He kindly offered me his art supplies, including these sea sponges. I have been following the health care debate closely and the day after it passed, I started drawing this.

Michael Newberry

I see your emotions sincerely affects the outcome of your paintings. You are good at expressing your values in this medium. I'd very much like to see your paintings in your happiest moments. But for now, I'm sorry for your loss.

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments. Emotions are a very interesting tool for art making...its not like you feel whatever you are feeling when painting...it's something like getting fired up to compete in a sport event--the right mood for the right subject. If I would only make a couple of paintings in my lifetime, undoubtedly I would pick a very positive and exciting subject. Denouementand Ascension Day are two paintings that convey my happiest moods. Denouement was a 3-year project and though part of painting was technical the project required that I "hold" the feeling of the painting's theme, radiance. I think emotion in the art process is more of projecting an emotion.

Michael

Edited by Newberry

pitcher.jpg

Mary Woodul, Peach and Pitcher, 2010, charcoal on Rives BFK, 19 x 13 inches

This is one of the works in the upcoming exhibition, Symbolic Still Life at the Newberry Gallery, opening reception April 24, 2010 7-10 pm.

My mother’s silver coffee set which she had given me, always had a special place in my heart. I lost her when I was 22, at an age when mother and daughter relationships usually improve, and when immature selfishness begins to disappear. I had never thanked my mother nor shown my appreciation to her for what an exceptional mother she had been. I would have loved to have the chance to say, thank you. I have used a peach as a symbol of me and the sugar cubes, doily, and shape of the pitcher describe my mother's soft, sweet, and feminine nature. The reflections in the pitcher are things that surrounded me in my studio, which I learned to appreciate and love from my mother.

Mary Woodul

Edited by Newberry

Rboots.jpg

Robin Neudorfer, Boots on Leave, pastel on Canson paper, 19 x 25 inches

Robin's son is a Marine, and she mentions that he has two dog tags, one for his neck and one for his boots.

This is one of the works in the upcoming Symbolic Still Life exhibition at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica, April 24th. www.newberrygallery.com/exhibit/still/still.html

Michael

Just finished and signed this today.

rev.jpg

Michael Newberry, Revolution is in the Air, 2010, charcoal and pastel on Rives BFK, 25 x 18 inches

I planned this using symbols of color: white for purity and idealism; red for blood and passion; and black for oppression. They converge in the individual and transparent glass--which only has air inside.

Michael Newberry

Absolutely beautiful!

Sensuous, the soft light and hard surfaces are inviting and fun, the strokes in the white, red, and black beckon touch.

The further meanings you had in mind were not in my impression, but they clearly are a matching key in reflection on this intriguing creation.

Thanks!

Stephen,

Thank you for your compliment and observations. I especially like your description of your experience, and understand you being not connected to the symbolism. After decades I have spent working with and contemplating imagery that I see countless levels of meanings in visual art.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Having a great time preparing for the Symbolic Still Life Show, next Saturday Evening at the Newberry Gallery. Some of the artists from my figure drawing group have volunteered to help getting the gallery ready.

Wlemon.jpgWilliam Wray, Lemon, 2010, oil on panel, 8 x 6 inches

The lemon through history has been symbolic of longevity, purification, love, and friendship. Wray's style is loose and painterly, but you might notice two specific, blurred, brush marks; one in the upper right corner of the lemon, and the other in bottom left of the lemon. The form of the lemon is loosely molded into planes, with only those two marks breaking up the contour of the lemon. The marks, not significant enough to fragment the lemon, are just a difference of opinion.

Michael Newberry

LtBirdE.jpgMichael Newberry, Big Fish, Little Bird, 2006, oil on panel, 12 x 16 inches

During the period I was painting this I was posting a bit on a cultural forum; a lot of banter, contentiousness, passion, and rancor...I know, I know, forums can be hazardous to your health. But I nonetheless enjoyed it and made some great, non-virtual friends. There were four people in particular: a postmodern artist by night, a scientist, a romantic, and an activist, all of them intelligent, passionate, and unique. The objects in this still life represent these people, connected by a bright yellow cloth, a symbol of intellectual energy. The shinny book in the background is an art book of 500 portraits, and into the 20th Century art, the portraits take on a grotesque sensibility--the postmodernist; the blue crystal bird--the scientist; the big, dark blue/black ceramic fish--the romantic; and the wine bottle--the activist. Like the objects in the this painting, these people jockeyed for their unique spot on the forum, joined by, if not by their beliefs, at least by their intellects.

Michael Newberry

Michael,

Thank you for posting this wonderful thread. I hope you won't take it badly, but I've not liked everything you've done over the years. I don't care for perhaps ninety percent of the art I have seen over time, whether modern or classic, including the great masters. But I really love everything you've posted here, both by you and the two other artists. I went to your site and particularly liked the things you did with color - the los angeles pastelly drawings of houses and apartments. It captures a sense of the light that I remember from when I lived there. I would like to visit your gallery if I got back to L.A. again some day.

The last painting you posted here, I liked as soon as I looked at it for a while.

But I appreciated it even more when your explanation made it clear you were capturing something about the people you discussed things with online. That's a clever and workable idea - to capture someone's soul or personality in an inanimate object.

I hope I'm not the fish. :unsure:

Edited by Philip Coates

> I hope I'm not the fish.

Not because he's a romantic, but because he looks like he has no self-control and never shuts up... :rolleyes:

Hey Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. No, I don't mind that there are works you don't like, but it is good to know that you love some of the work by the other artists, and me. And thanks for your comment about the commentary. At the show, there will be 5 x 7 card next to the art work, with the works' title info, and a brief comment, either by the artists, or myself. The aim is to break the ice and further engagement between the viewers and the artists.

Cheers,

Michael

Well, the fish does have a big mouth...

Rlemons.jpg

Robin Neudorfer, When Life Gives You Lemons, watercolor on Arches paper, 28 x 20 inches

There is a lemon tree in my back yard that is covered with lemons. In fact the branches are bent over with the weight of the fruit. At the same time the newspapers are filled daily with stories about Toyota.

I found a great recipe for lemonade on Martha Stewart's website.

Robin Neudorfer

My link

Symbolic Still Life at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica

April 24 – June 4, 2010 Opening Reception Saturday April 24, 7-10 pm

Featuring:

Robin Neudorfer

William Wray

Mary Woodul

Michael Newberry

Stacy Rowan

Symbolic Still Life is a show of still life paintings, drawings, and pastels by contemporary artists expressing their personal iconography through using symbolism. Powerful imagery, dynamic compositions, beauty, and a personal message, either obvious or subtle, are the ideas guiding the selection for this show.

Newberry Gallery

1549 11th Street, #100

Santa Monica, CA 90401

310-913-8986

Edited by Newberry

Runwrap.jpg

Robin Neudorfer, Unwrapped Expectations, charcoal on Rives BFK, 19 x 26 inches

Symbolic Still Life at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica

April 24 – June 4, 2010 Opening Reception Saturday April 24, 7-10 pm

Dreams, gifts, growth, and appreciation are balanced by a lone rock. Robin mentions the rock's importance: "In the last few years of my Dad's life he had lost much of his sight. I gave him a rock he could hold. This was to help remind him of the wonderful fishing trips we shared."

Featuring:

Robin Neudorfer

William Wray

Mary Woodul

Michael Newberry

Stacy Rowan

Symbolic Still Life is a show of still life paintings, drawings, and pastels by contemporary artists expressing their personal iconography through using symbolism. Powerful imagery, dynamic compositions, beauty, and a personal message, either obvious or subtle, are the ideas guiding the selection for this show.

Newberry Gallery

1549 11th Street, #100

Santa Monica, CA 90401

310-913-8986

Edited by Newberry

himalayan.jpg

Michael Newberry, Himalayan Flight, 2010, oil on linen, 36 x 48 inches

Finished and signed this off today.

The Tibetan white silk prayer scarf was given to me from my friend Jennifer Jordan, she wrote and produced the National Geographic special, The Woman of K2. Like the mountain climbers that reach for the highest peeks, freedom comes with a cost of blood.

Michael Newberry