Phil Garbage from Discussion of Atlas Shrugged Weekend

Philip Coates

(NOTE FROM MSK: This "discussion" was snipped from a real discussion of the Atlas Shrugged Part 1 movie performance--here.)

> Money where mouth is

Did you have the impression I wasn't going - or that I was free to go on the first night - you snarky little bitch?

> Speaking of, have you gone to see it yet?

No.

Why not?

Money where mouth is. Etc.

Ellen

Did you have the impression I wasn't going - or that I was free to go on the first night - you snarky little bitch?

WTF! Such uncalled for nastiness, shame on Phil. scham.gif

And I suppose the difference between insulting provocation and -appropriately- insulting response is unclear to you...

> Speaking of, have you gone to see it yet?

No.

Why not?

Money where mouth is. Etc.

Ellen

WTF! Such uncalled for nastiness, shame on Phil. scham.gif

And I suppose the difference between insulting provocation and -appropriately- insulting response is unclear to you...

Appropriate? If she’d written “put your money where your mouth is, asshole”, your reply would have been understandable. But she didn’t, you potty-mouth.

Subject: Mean-spiritedness and ankle-biting and trying to 'get' your enemies among Objectivists

> If she’d written “put your money where your mouth is, asshole” [ND,#22]

When someone snarkily tries to put you down, is quick to imply you are a hypocrite or a loudmouth who doesn't "put his money where his mouth" is without the benevolence to assume that there may be reasons you haven't gone to see the movie yet...and uses that trivial an issue to take "a shot at you" -- yes, that -is- a snarky and bitchy crack. And it doesn't require a dirty word from the issuer to make that explicit.

It's clearly an "ankle-biting" kind of thing: Sort of lurking in the weeds looking for someone you have a grudge against to slip up. Anything - spelling error, misquotation, sloppy language. No matter how small, you won't let it go by or try to benevolently get the larger point your adversary is trying to make. Ready to pounce, gleefully.

Oh yeah! Phil hasn't even gone to the movie yet, let's get him. Ha ha. It's not benevolent. And not very nice. (You actually lower yourself when you are regularly mean-spirited in that kind of way.)

So am I going to call you an asshole, a bitch, an ankle-biting low-life, a scumbag, when you -repeatedly on thread after thread- do that where I am concerned? Yes I most certainly am!!

Edited by Philip Coates

When Ellen snarkily tries to put me down, is quick to imply I am a hypocrite or a loudmouth who doesn't "put his money where his mouth" is without the benevolence to assume that there may be reasons I haven't gone to see the movie yet...and uses that trivial an issue to take "a shot at me" -- yes, Ellen is a snarky little bitch.

I don't think 'Someone' is going to reveal his plans for viewing the movie.

Why not? I suspect it is because he is, like Brant, caring for an aged parent, and may feel it necessary to be on hand, and so cannot simply circle a date on the calendar for a trip into Tampa. I imagine there are difficulties in arranging care for Someone's mother on short notice. And of course Someone may feel absolutely no need to discuss his plans when snarky little bitches question him.

"Putting Someone's money where Someone's mouth is" does not necessarily imply Someone is a hypocrite. Certainly Someone's mouth has been active, with several suggestions for how opening weekend attendance and first week attendance may be VERY IMPORTANT for the success of the movie. As Someone noted in two separate posts):

> Opening week is the decisive one - it's when chains traditionally decide if they want to "bid" or negotiate for a small studio, independent, limited release film. [PC #11]

>If there is second week dropoff, the movie will be pulled because the first weekend's numbers only place it number 14 in movie box offic[e]. [PC #5]

From these two excerpts, it seems likely that Someone is actually planning to carefully calibrate Someone's attendance in Tampa, in order to maximize the effect of Someone's ticket . . . but a certain Someone may not share his plans because Someone has been viciously attacked, denigrated, robbed of due respect, harried, hounded, unacknowledged for polite and respectful disagreement on intellectual matters, denied recognition for important points made, insulted, demeaned, snarked at, belittled, and so on.

As for the snarky little bitch -- Someone's comment can be taken back and/or regretted.

Perhaps a polite question can be asked, something like: 'If Someone was planning to attend one of the screenings of Atlas Shrugged Pt1 in the area of Tampa/Lakeland/St Petersburg during its first very important week, can you please recommend which theatre would be a good choice and why? And, if you would be so kind and thoughtful, is there any other information about the film that would help me choose? Thank you very much!"

Now, I tend to think that everything has been spoiled by certain unnamed people who psychologize and are generally nasty and should never expect any polite answers since they have attacked and insulted and stalked and been generally awful and mean and stupid . . . and so the certain unnamed people should politely step back and let benevolent people ask the questions but since it is all spoiled for everyone that probably won't happen anyway, ever, because as Someone has noted somewhere this is what you get when you aren't polite.

Anyhow, for those unnamed and invisible polite, civil folk, Someone has already politely given notice of what Someone is politely going to do about attending the film. He is going to have a sign and a cheerful welcoming expression and expand his social network by building a community of interest (No one knows how much work Someone has already done to ensure the success of the film in Tampa Bay):

>I plan to go with a large placard about the “Tampa Bay Ayn Rand Club” and not only hand out flyers, but ask interested people if they want to join me in passing more of them out at the local movie theaters. [someone, somewhere]

>I did something I suggested toward the end of my article -- I went to a local Tea Party "tax day" rally yesterday (April 15) with a huge placard about joining the local Ayn Rand Club I was starting. I had a sign-up sheet to collect emails. Out of just a bit over 300 people there, 27 were interested Rand fans. Very happy to meet me!

That's almost ten percent and, since people were scattered around in lawn chairs, I don't think everyone saw my placard. I was there for two hours out of the four hours the event was scheduled for: Very successful investment of time. [someone, Tampa]

Edited by william.scherk

Someone has been viciously attacked, denigrated, robbed of due respect, harried, hounded, unacknowledged for polite and respectful disagreement on intellectual matters, denied recognition for important points made, insulted, demeaned, snarked at, belittled, and so on.

[. . .]

Perhaps a polite question can be asked, something like: 'If Someone was planning to attend one of the screenings of Atlas Shrugged Pt1 in the area of Tampa/Lakeland/St Petersburg during its first very important week, can you please recommend which theatre would be a good choice and why? And, if you would be so kind and thoughtful, is there any other information about the film that would help me choose? Thank you very much!"

Now, I tend to think that everything has been spoiled by certain unnamed people who psychologize and are generally nasty and should never expect any polite answers since they have attacked and insulted and stalked and been generally awful and mean and stupid . . . and so the certain unnamed people should politely step back and let benevolent people ask the questions but since it is all spoiled for everyone that probably won't happen anyway, ever, because as Someone has noted somewhere this is what you get when you aren't polite.

I consider myself second to none in my commitment to benevolence and civility.

JR

> Money where mouth is

I have the impression that you talked up the idea of people's making an effort to produce a good numbers showing on the first weekend (is the impression mistaken?), yet here it is past the first weekend and you haven't gone yourself.

Ellen

Subject: Mean-spiritedness and ankle-biting and trying to 'get' your enemies among Objectivists

> If she’d written “put your money where your mouth is, asshole” [ND,#22]

When someone snarkily tries to put you down, is quick to imply you are a hypocrite or a loudmouth who doesn't "put his money where his mouth" is without the benevolence to assume that there may be reasons you haven't gone to see the movie yet...and uses that trivial an issue to take "a shot at you" -- yes, that -is- a snarky and bitchy crack. And it doesn't require a dirty word from the issuer to make that explicit.

Phil, you *are* a hypocrite. I can't think of anyone else whose postings I've seen over the course of years who has more frequently honored in the breach the very principles he exorts others to adopt.

Possibly this particular case wasn't an example, but it looks as if it was after what you said about the importance of 1st-weekend numbers and then your not going and your curt reply (simply "No") when asked if you'd gone.

And btw, although I dislike you, my dislike isn't an issue of your being an "[enemy] among Objectivists." I'm not an Objectivist, and in any case, I don't form likes and dislikes on the basis of who agrees with me and who doesn't, on Objectivism or any other set of ideas -- with a caveat on that statement when it comes to certain kinds of ideas sincerely held (such as its being ok to force people into compliance with one's dictates).

Ellen

Edited by Ellen Stuttle

Someone has been viciously attacked, denigrated, robbed of due respect, harried, hounded, unacknowledged for polite and respectful disagreement on intellectual matters, denied recognition for important points made, insulted, demeaned, snarked at, belittled, and so on.

[. . .]

I consider myself second to none in my commitment to benevolence and civility.

JR

I claim third to none!

--Brant

> Phil, you *are* a hypocrite.

Up yours, cunt.

Up yours, cunt.

MSK moved it to the Garbage Pile, just as I was replying to it. "Beyond the pale" was all I had to say, I replaced it with a Cyberman.

cybermen10.gif

Phil was told,

Phil, you *are* a hypocrite.

and Phil replied:

Up yours, cunt.

end quote

I don't think this is appopriate unless you are talking to Nathan Lane in full peacock regalia. Then it could be praise for services rendered. "Salute!"

Where have all the naughty but appropriate Oscar Wilde putdowns gone? The cheapness of today's society sickens me.

Don't bother me, don't bother me with this nonsense again. I am retiring to my bunker.

Pewter Mugg.

Up yours, cunt.

How about substituting "See you next Tuesday" if you must stoop so low. Even better, go for novelty, try كوس امك

which is pronounced "Kus umak!"

Or, keep it easy and try a cartoon! flipoff1.gif

Edited by Ninth Doctor

Phil was told,

Phil, you *are* a hypocrite.

and Phil replied:

Up yours, cunt.

end quote

I don't think this is appopriate unless you are talking to Nathan Lane in full peacock regalia. Then it could be praise for services rendered. "Salute!"

Where have all the naughty but appropriate Oscar Wilde putdowns gone? The cheapness of today's society sickens me.

Don't bother me, don't bother me with this nonsense again. I am retiring to my bunker.

Pewter Mugg.

And take your own ad feminem with you.

You still need to apologize to XRay.

Peter,

Phil once announced (somewhere) that he has a magic button he pushes in reaction to certain kinds of comments. He thinks he's blowing off people with cheap vulgarity. It's a bad habit he picked up on Solo Passion.

He thinks this kind of comment responds in kind or something like that in a humongous misunderstanding of rhetoric. I think he is totally blind to the messages he communicates to readers at large, going all the way from the gratuitous scolding, to the kindergarten level of the vulgarity he just displayed.

(I'm just waiting for him to say so-and-so started it, or what about that thing over there?--after continually telling others that this is no excuse for bickering.)

Still, Phil's a good dude. I believe he owes Ellen an apology. He can deal with disagreeing and being pissed that she called him a hypocrite in a spirited manner without going that low.

Michael

If I see it again, I'm going to make it stop--and I don't want to have to do that.

eusa_clap.gif I suggest locking the thread, its only possible future direction is downhill.

If I see it again, I'm going to make it stop--and I don't want to have to do that.

eusa_clap.gif I suggest locking the thread, its only possible future direction is downhill.

If Peter responds honourably to my post it will be uphill.

Just in case anyone missed my earlier declaration, I'd like to publicly renew my vow of dedication to the principles of civility and benevolence.

Jeff,

And I am very sorry your vow was made within the context of this discussion (or whatever one can call this) because it definitely does not belong in the garbage.

:)

Michael

Just in case anyone missed my earlier declaration, I'd like to publicly renew my vow of dedication to the principles of civility and benevolence.

Jeff,

And I am very sorry your vow was made within the context of this discussion (or whatever one can call this) because it definitely does not belong in the garbage.

:)

Michael

Yes, I expect it does, Michael.

JR

Daunce wrote:

And take your own ad feminem with you.

You still need to apologize to XRay.

End quote

Michael Stuart Kelly also wrote about Phil on the same thread:

I think he is totally blind to the messages he communicates to readers at large, going all the way from the gratuitous scolding, to the kindergarten level of the vulgarity he just displayed.

End quote

You make Phil sound like Rainman, Michael.

Daunce. How about nerd’s beatnik haiku?

I do apologize to a certain

German Kindergarten teacher, if she is not a troll,

(the verdict is out. Why is “she” here anyway?)

for my over the top rhetoric stating that

*undefined empathy as a guiding principle*

is dumb and more philosophically suited to a friggin’ Nazi,

even if intelligently written,

my comment was in no way overtly vulgar

yet still deemed inappropriate.

Shall we Daunce?

But it is so much fun Carol, writing scathing commentaries, when I think it is appropriate, that I will undoubtedly do it again.

Xray appears unwilling to elucidate. Perhaps you will describe your philosophical primary, *empathy* and why it would make Ayn Rand as pleased as punch.

Peter Taylor