School Rant Thread

Danneskjold

Twenty years from now when you have the nice house and there still in the same dead end job you can just laugh. They'll want their own rusty razor blade.

Oh Im completely aware of that. But I still enjoy revenge fantasies. Its not like I actually would kill them.

A positive word for the football team here. They are hard working guys who are generally nicer than anyone will ever admit. The senior stars on the team are actually nicer than all the others. I think some football players are getting a bum wrap.

A positive word for the football team here. They are hard working guys who are generally nicer than anyone will ever admit. The senior stars on the team are actually nicer than all the others. I think some football players are getting a bum wrap.

Well, for one, they could be nice to you since you aren't an outsider like I was (at least not to the same extent) or you could have simply had an atypical experience. In my experience though, the football team of my school was composed of a pack of bestial monsters. This does not mean I consider all people that play football bestial monsters, however. My reflections are on a specific number of individuals, not a whole class.

That's fair enough. The funny thing I noticed is how it all ties back into self esteem. The guys that are on top of the team, the star athletes and all, are generally the most accepting. They don't have anything to prove.

Jeff wrote on another rant thread:

Man, this guy is truly unbelieveable. The normal english teacher shpiel is alright by me, but this is just ridiculous. I was complaining in class about the utter hopelessness of the book Kite Runner and how it makes it seem as if happiness is unattainable. Then, to my utter suprise because he seems like such a generally happy guy, he tells me that it is that way because it is meant to be realistic. Now, this is the first time I have ever been told by anyone that happiness is anywhere near unattainable. It really caught me off guard. Happiness to me has never been anything but a guarantee in the future. That holds true to this day because I know that I will work for it. To see someone that considers everything hopeless was just...a shock.

I made a mistake and offered a response to this thread. Here it is:

The hunt and finding of happiness and the maintaining of it is a worthy objective. Finding and keeping happiness--it has been a struggle to regain my equilibrium here. To get back the feeling that glorious things are coming at me from the far side of each curve. Speaking with others, I have begun to understand that they do not share this same struggle. Some have never known this feeling at all.*(1.1) Many people are happy just to be alive—in terms of “raw survival”--thankful to their god, their president, a job, their health. To them, a no-thrills life means safety. Accepting the ordinary is easy. The mind becomes lazy when you go with the flow. The world is filled with people who praise the ‘simple life.’*(1.2) My life has never felt simple, or everyday. My life is golden, a treasure above all other things.*(1.3) And I’m even happier now to share that life with someone else who feels the same way about her life. Her name, as you know, is Angie.

Although life has its hills, its ups and downs, there has always been in my mind a vision that I am moving toward some great purpose. It is nearly unshakeable.*(1.4) At times, in my life, I have looked about me and found myself sinking into the muck of the common. I have found sarcasm, apathy, even nihilism, creeping into my consciousness.*(1.5) This can find expression in my art. It takes focus, and effort, to keep the mind trained on my own vision of a golden life. It is different. But I will not reach it following the well-traveled path*(1.6) of the common. I find that I am drawn to things that shimmer. I reject the elevation of the unworthy. I stand in defiance of the ordinary.*(1.7)

Living is more than waking up each day. Living is making an effort. Living is switching off the auto-pilot, and reaching out for that which you know could burn your hand, wrench your gut, or break your heart if you don't get it. Our mission is to protect and nourish this spark within us--if we hope to live a happy life. We all know that infinite possibility is open to us, if only we make those brave choices.*(1.8) What seems like an obvious point can be anything but obvious. "Going with the flow" is seen as a great virtue in our society, when in fact it is not. The opinions or the behavior of the masses will rarely be anything special. To stand in defiance is the only way to ensure that you are looking out for your own best interest.*(1.9) Other people—except the ones you select by scrupulous standards—don’t care for you, not really.

Everybody has a hidden agenda. And you can be sure that they see their best interest is to be found in your defeat. That's their code: my gain--your pain. Yes, you have to look out for number one. That has always sounded like a license to be a brute, but it’s not. Not when it is rational. Not when you are fundamentally indifferent to the broad mass of undifferentiated units, living the life of custom-following, faith-based automatons. Select--very carefully--who you cohort with—and do it for yourself. You have ONE life, and that is it. Be wise with it.

In closing, I will only say that the struggle to defy the ordinary is not an easy. At least not for me. But it is the only thing worth doing.*(1.10) The rewards are too good to pass over. Ultimately, if I give up, if I lead a life that is ordinary, it is only half-lived.*(1.11)

Victor

NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR:

* Plagiarized from "Making Life Extraordinary" by Ashley Frazier. (Rebirth of Reason version here. Solo Passion version here.) The original passage reads as follows:

(1.1)

It has been a struggle to regain my equilibrium since last fall. To get back the feeling that glorious things are coming at me from the far side of each curve. In speaking with others I have begun to understand that they are not all sharing this same struggle-to get back to "normal"-some have never known this feeling at all.

(1.2)

Many people are happy just to be alive; thankful for their god, their president, a job. A no-thrills life means safety. Accepting the ordinary is easy. The mind becomes lazy when you go with the flow. The world is filled with praise for the "simple life."

(1.3)

... my life has never felt simple, or everyday. My life is golden, a treasure above all other things.

(1.4)

Although life has its hills, there has always been in my mind a vision that I am moving toward some great purpose. It is nearly unshakeable.

(1.5)

At times in my life I have looked about me and found myself sinking into the muck of the common. I have found sarcasm, apathy, even nihilism, creeping into my consciousness.

(1.6)

It takes focus, and effort, to keep the mind trained on my own vision of a golden life. It is different, it is unique. I will not reach it following the well-traveled path.

(1.7)

I find that I am drawn to things that have glitter, things that shine. I reject the elevation of the unworthy. I stand in defiance of the ordinary.

(1.8)

Living is more than waking up each day. Living is making an effort. Living is switching off the auto-pilot, and reaching out for that which you know could burn your hand, wrench your gut, break your heart if it doesn't work.

Our mission is to protect and nourish this spark within us, if we hope to live a golden life. We all know that infinite possibility is open to us, if only we make the brave choices.

(1.9)

What seems like an obvious point can be anything but obvious much of the time. "Going with the flow" or being "easy going" are seen as great virtues in our society, when in fact they are the opposite. The opinion or the behavior of the masses will rarely be anything special, to stand in defiance is the only way to ensure that you are looking out for your own best opportunities.

(1.10)

In closing, I will only say that the struggle to defy the ordinary is not an easy one. At least in my life it has not been. But it is the only thing worth doing.

(1.11)

Ultimately, if I give up, if I lead a life that is ordinary, it is only half-lived.

OL extends its deepest apologies to Ashley Frazier.

Edited by Michael Stuart Kelly

• 6 months later...

I'm 21 -- or will be in a month or so -- but I'm a college student.

In my high school all the teachers told us that college would be horrible and that we had to prepare for it now...

Well, I never had to pull an all-nighter or kill myself to pass. I manage my time, have fun, and still get on the dean's list!

Don't worry college is no worse than high school -- It's not better:

1) My English professor tells the whole class that he needs an 8 page research paper on the Victorian Poetry style in his e-mail inbox in less than 24 hours and never grades the work after we all scramble to get it in!!

2) My math professor gives us the wrong page to do for homework at least twice a week (it gets really confusing trying to find the area when they need you to find the ditsance.).

3) No two music majors conduct alike -- are they going to cue the base? It's a 50/50 chance.

4) Criteria for the majors change from year to year... but to see the new criteria, students have to pay!

5) Underclassmen parking cost more but is farther from the dorms!

Don't worry about college... It's not all bad. After the first two years, half my fees went away and I got premo parking :)