Allison Stepping Down at Cato

Allison Stepping Down at Cato

This is interesting.

As OL is part of the O-Land subculture, I know someone around here will wonder if this is a signal that the honeymoon between ortho-Objectivism and libertarianism is near the end of its course.

(Well, I guess I'm the one who just said it... :) )

Big moves in the libertarian universe.
by David Weigel
March 30, 2015
Bloomberg Politics

From the article:

The libertarian Cato Institute, a think tank started in 1974 by the money of Charles Koch, is parting with its president and CEO of just two and a half years. John Allison, the former BB&T banker who took over Cato in a much-watched power struggle between donors and scholars, will retire, the think tank said Monday; Peter Goettler, a former managing director at Barclays Capital, will replace him.

I just had a quirky thought as I was preparing this material to post.

People always talk about the influence of the Koch brothers at Cato.

However, Allison was a banker. Goettler is a banker...

Hmmmmmm...

:)

Michael

Oops, I think Allison's integrity may be showing.

Meaning?

Are there any finance-industry folks here who can get the text of Mr. Goettler's talks “Building Universal Banking Product Lines Organically – Investment Banking Case Study” or “Managing Culture Between Universal Banking Business Units – Competitive Advantage or Achilles Heel” ?

In my opinion, Mr. Goettler has show great acumen at keeping his ideas private. Maybe there's something in these talks ?

The greatest baseball players do not make the greatest coaches or managers. Some greats do transition, of course, yes, but ultimately, being a great performer is wholly different from being a great leader.