This is Why I Don't Trust Chris Christie

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He deserves it. The culture of every organization is driven from the top down. And he apologized to the wrong people. Fuck the mayor of Fort Lee.

Seems very medieval and feudal to me.

Christie is like the gluttonous King prostrating himself before the Duke of Fort Lee and fuck the serfs/peasants...

Or, as the Constitutional Peasants said:

A...

Post Script:

I was actually looking for the part where - the "peasant" answer's the "How do you know he's the King?" Answer: "He's the one not covered in shit!"

Adam,

Heh.

Christie talked about "the sheer stupidity" in his apology. Except he only insinuated that "the sheer stupidity" was the traffic antic.

I think, in his mind, he was referring to his idiot people putting it down on record in emails.

:smile:

Michael

Michael:

Completely agree. I always look for the "smoking gun" memo/e-mail/sticky note left in a file.

I love discovery. I am constantly amazed how sloppy folks are and what they leave in the "record."

By the way, Gershowitz agrees with you also. That is very fine company. He is a smart lawyer and actually did teach law.

See the available "record" back from the "smoking gun" e-mail in this link:

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/bridget-anne-kelly-chris-christie-bridge-scandal/2014/01/10/id/546365

It is getting real interesting in NJ.

A...

It wasn't chance discovery. It was Freedom of Information Act.

Bob, that is a discovery tool, along with depositions, interrogatories, subpoenas, etc., etc.

My use of the word discovery was in a narrow legal, or, journalistic sense.

I did not mean stumbling across something by accident.

A...

Bob, that is a discovery tool, along with depositions, interrogatories, subpoenas, etc., etc.
My use of the word discovery was in a narrow legal, or, journalistic sense.
I did not mean stumbling across something by accident.
A...

Thank you for the clarification.

Here's something from... fro... fr...

er...

fromRachelMaddowthatIfindplausible.

(There. I said it. But damn, that was hard! :) )

Maddow: An Alternate Theory Of The Christie Scandal

Real Clear Politics video

In a nutshell, Maddow thinks the target might not have been the Mayor of Fort Lee at all, nor this affair about the election. She thinks it might have had to do with NJ Supreme Court approvals by NJ Congress and Christie's feud with the Democrats in the local Congress, seeing they were both furious at each other and playing dirty.

Michael

Here's something from... fro... fr...

er...

fromRachelMaddowthatIfindplausible.

(There. I said it. But damn, that was hard! :smile: )

Maddow: An Alternate Theory Of The Christie Scandal

Real Clear Politics video

In a nutshell, Maddow thinks the target might not have been the Mayor of Fort Lee at all, nor this affair about the election. She thinks it might have had to do with NJ Supreme Court approvals by NJ Congress and Christie's feud with the Democrats in the local Congress, seeing they were both furious at each other and playing dirty.

Michael

I love that look on Christie's face: I'm shocked! shocked!

Ba'al Chatzaf

FYI - It appears to have been discovered through legislative subpoenas:

More than 1,000 pages of anxiously awaited documents subpoenaed by New Jersey lawmakers investigating the massive, four-day traffic jam on the George Washington bridge were made public after revelations that Christie's staff appeared to have orchestrated the closure as political payback.

And...

The documents, many subpoenaed from former Port Authority executive David Wildstein, cast new light on the turmoil within the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the agency overseeing the nation's busiest bridge.

On the fourth day of the shutdown, Patrick Foye, executive director of the Port Authority, lashed out in an email to executives, including Port Authority Chairman David Samson, and ordered the lanes reopened.

"I believe this hasty and ill-advised decision violates Federal Law and the laws of both states," Foye said in the email.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/documents-reveal-anger-chaos-christie-bridge-scandal-001849972--finance.html

Interesting...this gives some credibility to Rachael Maddow's theory.

A...

It just keeps getting worse for Christie's administration...

The documents also show a concerted effort to keep their true motivation hidden, including the insistence by one official of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in an email that communications about the matter should not be conducted by email or discussed publicly.

Among the documents was a PowerPoint presentation prepared after three days of snarled traffic, titled “EARLY assessment of the benefits of the trial.” The conclusion: “T.B.D.” (To be determined.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/11/nyregion/hundreds-of-pages-on-bridge-scandal-released.html?_r=0

For Christie, perhaps a bridge too far

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ® on Thursday apologized for a scandal in which top aides closed access lanes to the George Washington Bridge. Many of the people in the small town of Fort Lee commute to work across the bridge daily. Represented below is a composite of how commuters travel into Manhattan over the bridge, and how during a four-day closure last September the flow pattern was disrupted. Read related article.

w-ChristieBridge_graphic.jpg

This article asks five (5) questions for Christie and they need to be answered.

1. Did Bridget Kelly have the authority to order the closure of lanes in Fort Lee?

This is critical within the political managment structure in Christie's administration?

I can't see that she did.

2. Why was Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich targeted?

He is not important. The target could have been the State Senator whose district takes in Fort Lee, Loretta Weinberg. This was referenced by Michael in the Rachel Maddow post above.

3. Why didn't Christie himself interview his senior staff when he asked them if there was anything he didn't know about Bridge-gate?

To a degree, this does make sense to me because it keeps a plausible deniability active for him. Additionally, since that type of questioning gets real personal and real intense and you do not want to make an enemy out of a confifant.

4. Are there any more episodes like this floating out there?

This is the biggest problem that he has because I do not think this is an isolated event.

5. What did Kevin O'Dowd know? And can his nomination as state Attorney General go forward?

Don't know enough about this to even comment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/01/10/5-big-unanswered-questions-in-bridge-gate/

Post Script:

The only situation that makes me worry is:

state-seal2.jpg

that severed horse head above the shield.

The non-Steve Colbert guy said that lol

Maureen Dowd, from today's Drudge Report:

Christie’s two-hour “I am not a bully” news conference was operatic about an act of malice so petty it did not merit being called “authentic Jersey corruption,” as New Jersey native Jon Stewart said, adding that it was unworthy of a state with a severed horse head on its flag.

And we all, of course, see that it is a chess piece.

However, it does provide a humorous approach to the Italian/Mafia/NJ bigotry that most progressives get a free bigot card to attack and hide behind.

Try it with a Muslim group/stereotype and see how far you get.

Finally, since most Americans of Italian descent are Catholic, or, have been heavily exposed to Catholicism, progressives get an extra special pleasure out of being the prejudicial bigots that they are.

A...

Post Script: Here is Maureen's column...titled Thunder Road...I don't get that reference:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/opinion/sunday/dowd-thunder-road.html?_r=0

Continuing, Dowd points out that:

After zapping Obama for being so clueless that he couldn’t find “the light switch of leadership” in a dark room, Christie is trying to salvage his once blazing career by claiming he was in a dark room, clueless to the bogus traffic study masking a revenge plan that top aides were executing in plain sight.

The epic news conference felt like a scene out of the governor’s favorite movie, “The Godfather”: Christie offering his tremulous, grandiose, self-pitying public apologia while in cross-cut scenes, his henchmen were getting rid of those who threatened his operation.

Calling his deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly “stupid” and “deceitful,” he threw her off the bridge, without talking to her himself or, as Niall O’Dowd slyly wrote in IrishCentral.com, even extending the courtesy of the old Irish wedding night admonition: “Brace yourself, Bridget.”

I love the way this woman writes...

I know that a lot of conservatives and libertarians are cheering Chris Christie's political demise, but I'm not. Although he was not my favorite candidate for President, I'm concerned that this scandal will hurt the Republican brand and therefore hurt the chances of any Republican winning the next presidential election. I'm also concerned that the New Jersey governorship will fall back into Democratic hands.

It could have ended differently. Christie could have announced that he was going to run for President, said something to upset conservatives, and ended up with a failed bid due to a poor showing in the Iowa caucuses, for example. That would have been an acceptable ending to his aspirations. I'm not cheering about things ending this way.

Darrell

..this scandal will hurt the Republican brand...

Darrell:

What brand is that, the brand that:

1) guaranteed a new entitlement under the Senior prescription guarantee plan of Bush II?

2) established the premise that we are eviscerating capitalism to save capitalism [possiblly the most ignorant statements ever made by an ally of capitalism];

3) is for the corporatist playbook on "immigration reform."

I could go on, however, the Republican Corporatist Statist is not a brand that I want to buy.

Frankly, it is a brand that I want to abolish down to the last stud on the last board of the foundation of that despicable edifice.

A...

..this scandal will hurt the Republican brand...

Darrell:

What brand is that, the brand that:

1) guaranteed a new entitlement under the Senior prescription guarantee plan of Bush II?

2) established the premise that we are eviscerating capitalism to save capitalism [possiblly the most ignorant statements ever made by an ally of capitalism];

3) is for the corporatist playbook on "immigration reform."

I could go on, however, the Republican Corporatist Statist is not a brand that I want to buy.

Frankly, it is a brand that I want to abolish down to the last stud on the last board of the foundation of that despicable edifice.

A...

Morte aux les Cronies.

This speaks for itself.

Really cute.

Bruce Springsteen & Jimmy Fallon: "Gov. Christie Traffic Jam" ("Born To Run" Parody)

(Springsteen: I gotta take a leak... I gotta take a leak... LOL... :smile: )

Michael

Take a leak! That made me pee in my pants. And it is sooo.... New Jersey.

Excellent parody! A Governor who keeps people from taking a much needed leak is not deserving of further consideration. His bullying, vindictive manner is what fueled the bullying from his subordinates. I truly hope this is the last time anyone will take Christie seriously. Sure, he would have caused about 500 hoots during a campaign but what the heck? Christie reminds me of Putin. I agree with Jersey-ites Adam and Ba’al: “. . . . the Republican Corporatist Statist is not a brand that I want to buy.”

I am about thirty miles from New Jersey if I fly over the Delaware Bay and roll down Niagara Falls in a barrel, but I am more than thirty miles away from RINO politics.

Remember Bill Buckley’s one caveat. Our candidate needs to be elected and I am dubious about Rand Paul. I want some suggestions, although nothing real will happen until after the election of November 7th 2014, a Friday.

Remember Bill Buckley’s one caveat.

Can you source that caveat please?

Secondly, you reside in the marxist State of Maryland, with Martin O'Malley as Governor.

Kinda like being a Trotskyite in 1919.

http://www.gov.state.md.us/

Here are some of his 2013 Executive Orders:

And one of his policy press releases:

Here is the text:

(CNN) - Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley championed a series of progressive causes during a policy speech in Washington Thursday, touting his state’s economic record as evidence that encouraging liberal social issues can lead to prosperity.

“Promoting the right to vote, guaranteeing marriage equality, treating immigrant people with respect and with dignity, these things are also things that make Maryland stronger and more competitive economically,” O’Malley told a forum at the left-leaning Center for American Progress.

The potential 2016 Democratic presidential candidate claimed that Maryland is creating jobs at the fastest rate of any state in its region.

“Bigotry does not create jobs, and division does not expand economic opportunity. In face isolation actually kills innovation,” O’Malley said, lamenting that several states have passed stricter voting laws this year.

“These laws are designed to make it more difficult for people to vote. They disproportionally affect minorities, older Americans, poor people, (and) young people. And by discouraging individual participation, these laws have another affect, and that is they threaten productivity,” O’Malley said.

Similarly, limiting marriage equality and immigration rights undermines a state’s economic competitiveness by threatening creativity and reducing job creation, O’Malley said.

“In Maryland we believe that our diversity is our strength, and that we all do better when we’re all doing better,” he said.

With a complete marxist like O'Malley, I would think 101 times about throwing first stones?

At least Christie has a set.

:laugh::D:smile:

A...

With a complete marxist like O'Malley, I would think 101 times about throwing first stones?

At least Christie has a set.

:laugh::D:smile:

A...

This O'Malley is daft beyond redemption.

I can scarcely believe he sincerely swallows his own crap.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Adam asked, “Can you source that caveat please?”

Sure, one source is below. I will need to research Barry Popkin’s mentioning of Rush Limbaugh to see if Rush still thinks we should just vote for the most conservative in the primary and then for the conservative Republican in the general election even if by conservative that means Mitt Romney.

I agree with youse Joiseyites 100 percent about Maryland’s (pronounced Merlin’s) Governor and most Merlin politics outside of Worcester (pronounced Woorster) County in Maryland. At the county level there is a conservative majority.

Give me some names who might brighten up the primaries.

Peter

From The Big Apple by Barry Popik September 14, 2010.

Buckley Rule (vote for most conservative primary candidate likely to win general election)

Conservative author and commentator William F. Buckley (1925-2008) was asked, in 1967, whom he would support in 1968 for U.S. president. Buckley responded with what would late be called the ‘Buckley Rule” for primary voting: “The wisest choice would be the one who would win. No sense running Mona Lisa in a beauty contest. I’d be for the most right, viable candidate who could win. If you could convince me that Barry Goldwater could win, I’d vote for him.”

The term “Buckley Rule” wouldn’t be popularly used until the 2000s, but the language “rightward-most viable candidate” (not the exact words) has been often repeated. The word “viable”—a candidate who is the most likely to win the general election—adds an element of pragmatism to the conservative philosophy.

Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh disagreed with the “Buckley Rule” and established a new “Limbaugh Rule” on September 14, 2010. Limbaugh said that it requires clairvoyance to determine who will win the general election, so one should just simply vote for the most conservative candidate.